Corsair Community

Weird issue with CX750m

darkraven87

You can probably see my system specs below, but for a recap:

MSI A320M GAMING PRO motherboard

AMD Ryzen 5 1400 CPU with stock Wraith Stealth cooler

PNY AnarchyX DDR4 3200 RAM, MD16GK2D4320016AXR running at 3066 MHz (now that I've finally found a combo that works above 2133)

Nvidia GTX 660 graphics card, not overclocked or modified AFAIK as I got it used

2 generic DVD writer drives, one with LightScribe

2 generic Seagate 500GB SATA hard disks

5 fan controller with 4 fans hooked up, don't recall manufacturer or model at the moment, bought used on eBay

TPLink B/G/N wireless card

Currently a Zotac? case... I bought it used from a parts hoarder along with a similar one and it's got ZERO identifying information on it.

Alright, so... I bought this PSU NEW from Best Buy in 2017. Not sure if the paperwork is still in the box or not. It's been working fine through a couple of changes and upgrades. However, my last upgrade was the second hard disk. I needed to put it in the bottom slot in the case so as to not obstruct my front case fan, so I needed to add another power cable to the PSU because none of the other connectors were going to reach. Add cable, plug in disk, power on computer. No boot. Power on but nothing. Switch new cable around in the PSU ports. Still nothing. Unplug drive from cable, leaving cable attached to PSU. Same thing. So I got stuck moving the drive to where it's right next to the other hard disk so I can only use one cable. Works fine. This is one of the extra cables from the box the PSU came in. But the PSU doesn't work if I so much as plug a new supply cable in?

I'm only running 2 optical drives and 2 hard disks along with the fan controller, which runs on a Molex. I don't have liquid cooling, or a second graphics card, and can't use the motherboard's display ports since the Ryzen doesn't have integrated graphics. And my motherboard only has 2 RAM slots, which are full. Granted, my 3 generic 80mm fans are lighted, but that can't be overloading the PSU?

Reason I'm asking now is because I would like to add an SSD as a boot drive because, well, the SATA I hard drives are just too slow. I'll keep them for mass storage, but, even with as much as I dislike SSD drives, I need a faster boot. I currently can't add another SATA drive without using another cable, and I'd rather use a full size SSD than an M.2 (so I don't have to actually take anything apart just to add the boot drive, plus the full size is half or more the price of a similar M.2 in my area).

Edited by darkraven87

• Corsair Employee
Sounds like you were most likely using a power cable that is not for the CX750m and instead is from a different manufacturer. Double check the cable you are using and make sure it says Type 3 or Type 4 on the end that plugs into the power supply.

Unless Corsair is putting other manufacturers' cables in their boxes... doubtful. This is the only modular PSU I have. The others are non-modular.

Granted, I do have a box of cables from an EVGA I was given for free that is blown (turned it on and blew a circuit breaker), but they're still in that box...

Edited by darkraven87