Corsair Community

MP510 NVME RAID mode or AHCI: low speed

chourmovs

Hi

I'm new to this forum

I just bought a corsair SSD MP510 (FW 13 up to date) and my post install problem is sum-up by two following screenshots (in french sorry)

attachment.php?attachmentid=37057&stc=1&d=1576260894

attachment.php?attachmentid=37056&stc=1&d=1576260721

My config :Windows 10 64 up to date and see my signature, i5 9600hK, MSI Z390-A-PRO

All drivers up-to-date

I tried AHCI mode then reinstall in raid mode : no improvement, very similar performance equivalent to SATA3 :(

Please help

834175932_as-ssd-benchNVMeForceMP51013_12.201919-09-59.png.8e5a21dba6783c2780ac3782c1c0a089.png

Capture.PNG.57297c993970c5328bffcb0034403e68.PNG

Is it a single drive?
yes it is

If you installed NVMe RAID drivers, you can try opening Device Manager, then expanding "Storage Controllers" and uninstalling the "RAID" driver if, and only if, you're certain it's the driver for that drive
Not sure to understand what are raid drivers

I did the test on a fresh install of windows 1909 with pre installed whql drivers : 800mb/s max

after updating intel platform management and intel RST to the latest : still 800 mb/s max

attachment.php?attachmentid=37059&stc=1&d=1576272218

attachment.php?attachmentid=37060&stc=1&d=1576272223

And as a reminder, with bios in AHCI mode, i get the same

2024253804_Capture2.PNG.1231ca000779617dc3eaa8c4cbc1fe49.PNG

1206947421_Capture3.PNG.b74b36dc507db0b6cdd0704c46ca3231.PNG

RAID makes sense for spinning disks, where the performance gains are measurable, however, I'm not convinced about using RAID with SSDs, certainly in PCs.

I have two MP510 860Gb drives and I have had them running in both RAID and AHCI modes on my PC. RAID was a PITA to set up on my Aorus Master mobo as it involves several BIOS tweaks. Performance wise, the RAID setup was slightly faster on writes than ACHI, but not so significantly as to justify the risks associated with running RAID. AHCI is a far simpler operating mode with less risks attached and far less hassle to set up. RAID requires specific drivers which are not typically integrated into the OS (eg. Windows 10). In an Intel based system, these are usually the Intel RST drivers, which must be available to the OS before enabling RAID mode in the BIOS. AHCI drivers are native to Windows 10, so everything should just work out of the box.

IMHO, unless you need the combined space of two SSD drives in a single volume, I would stick with AHCI as the overall performance is pretty similar to RAID, but the hassle and risks are far less.

Edited by Yemble

RAID makes sense for spinning disks, where the performance gains are measurable, however, I'm not convinced about using RAID with SSDs, certainly in PCs.

IMHO, unless you need the combined space of two SSD drives in a single volume, I would stick with AHCI as the overall performance is pretty similar to RAID, but the hassle and risks are far less.

Very interesting but unfortunately slightly off topic

My today's concern is how a recent SSD given for 3000MB/s when plugged on a m.2 PCIE 4x slot of a recent gaming motherboard can be limited to a little 800MB/s, whatever the configuration is , i.e. AHCI or RAID, default drivers or up-to-date ones

To make progress on investigation, it's noticeable that 800MB/s is the faster you can wait of a sata 3 slot, maybe it can serve the mental construction.

To be honest, I thought i faced a very common issue but I now realize it's maybe not the case

PS : I've tried also with PCIE/SATA motherboard power connector plugged or unplugged, it didn't make any difference but it worked in both case :bigeyes::rolleyes::sigh!:

Very interesting but unfortunately slightly off topic

My today's concern is how a recent SSD given for 3000MB/s when plugged on a m.2 PCIE 4x slot of a recent gaming motherboard can be limited to a little 800MB/s, whatever the configuration is , i.e. AHCI or RAID, default drivers or up-to-date ones

To make progress on investigation, it's noticeable that 800MB/s is the faster you can wait of a sata 3 slot, maybe it can serve the mental construction.

To be honest, I thought i faced a very common issue but I now realize it's maybe not the case

PS : I've tried also with PCIE/SATA motherboard power connector plugged or unplugged, it didn't make any difference but it worked in both case :bigeyes::rolleyes::sigh!:

Hmmm... My MP510 860Gb performs as shown in my Aorus Z390 Master mobo. Two obvious differences, first the NVMe drive size, second the storage driver being used...

What other storage devices have you got plugged into your mobo? Perhaps you have a bus conflict?

MP510.jpg.4d746310b6fc5b9d32980393cab1703d.jpg

Edited by Yemble