The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2016, 12:14 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 833897
jonnyguru jonnyguru Reputation: 179
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

Sounds like some power good signal compatibility between the PSU and the motherboard. If Super Micro doesn't have a newer BIOS to address it, and they wouldn't bother as long as the motherboard works with a Super Micro PSU, then there's really nothing anyone can do about it.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:33 PM
Jenn_Wagner's PC Specs

POST ID # = 833999
Jenn_Wagner Reputation: 10

Here is the underwhelming tech support from super micro:

Hello Jennifer,

That is true, we recommend you use Supermicro power supply for Supermicro product.

James Wang/Application Engineer

Super Micro Computer, Inc.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:27 PM
19DeltaSNAFU's PC Specs

POST ID # = 834821
19DeltaSNAFU Reputation: 10

Awww man, I just bought an AX1200i this morning. Now I'm scared to death. $2800 build, before I start the water cooling loop. This is a lot of money for me. It seems this board is showing that there IS a problems with the AX power supplies. Lordy, lordy. My nerves are shot now after reading these arguments. Mod states that this problem is isolated to 1 in thousand but according to reviews its about 17%. Ughhhh, I just want a good PSU that will feed my EXPENSIVE computer very clean and stable power. How do I know if I'm in the lottery.

Last edited by 19DeltaSNAFU; 02-03-2016 at 03:35 PM.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:23 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 834839
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19DeltaSNAFU View Post
Awww man, I just bought an AX1200i this morning. Now I'm scared to death. $2800 build, before I start the water cooling loop. This is a lot of money for me. It seems this board is showing that there IS a problems with the AX power supplies. Lordy, lordy. My nerves are shot now after reading these arguments. Mod states that this problem is isolated to 1 in thousand but according to reviews its about 17%. Ughhhh, I just want a good PSU that will feed my EXPENSIVE computer very clean and stable power. How do I know if I'm in the lottery.
Seriously? Do you have a Super Micro board too?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:25 PM
19DeltaSNAFU's PC Specs

POST ID # = 834861
19DeltaSNAFU Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyguru View Post
Seriously? Do you have a Super Micro board too?
No sir, MSI,ASUS,GIGABYTE and ASROCK. Like the 18% of reviewers on amazon. Are you a mod here? If so, you just made my decision for me. Don't need the anxiety.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:37 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 835017

The AXi doesn't have anywhere near a 17 to 18% failure or incompatibility rate.

The thing you have to remember with end user review is this: If it works, people don't tend to write a review. I order A LOT of stuff from Amazon, but I rarely write a four or five star review simply because something works as advertised.

But if something doesn't work, the chances are very good that a negative review is written. And negative reviews are written for a lot of different reasons too, unfortunately. Not just product not working correctly, but also taking too long to ship, shipped the wrong product, product arrived damaged, etc.

I was just surprised with your reply since this thread is talking about two different motherboards, and you want to come in and introduce a third (your MSI?) without first even knowing if it actually works or not.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:48 PM
nblanton's PC Specs

POST ID # = 902455
nblanton Reputation: 10

So, after beating my head against a wall for three months with the same problem as OP described (and buying a completely new system) I finally did what jonnyguru recommended on like page 1. I wiggled the connectors while the machine was stuck in the boot loop. Wiggle, wiggle--then bam! machine boots. I looks like it was a bad connector on the 8 pin CPU connector in my machine.

I think before we toss the baby out with the bath water, really check you system to see what the culprit is. These digital PSUs seem to extra sensitive when it comes to poor connections.

I hate to resurrect a thread like this, but I know that the boot loop is a serious issue. Hopefully, this will help some other folks get the troubleshooting they need.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:47 PM

POST ID # = 903098
por930 Reputation: 10

As some one who is getting a machine built(Gigabyte gaming 7 Z270) and wondering about a PSU, I was thinking AX860i. Now I am wondering about the merits or otherwise of it. Maybe the original issue is very rare and the long warranty gives me some comfort AND, being modular, you do not have to unwind all cables.
I just need a reliable, "good" PSU.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:22 AM

POST ID # = 903100
por930 Reputation: 10

I will get the AX86 version, which seems just as accurate, not so many features for monitoring and not so many boot issues.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:25 AM
Fro5t's PC Specs

POST ID # = 913788
Fro5t Reputation: 10

Sorry guys for resurrecting yet another thread regarding these digital power supplies. I thought these issues would've been ironed out by now, but seeing as they seem to persist I'll throw my 2 cents in and be on my merry way.

Back in early 2015 I bought my first Corsair AX760I PSU as part of my build. Part of which I still use. A bit long in the tooth I know, but still capable of punching out some good numbers, until I can upgrade everything else, in another few months.

Anyway, the build was fine for at least 18 months, I'm not sure what might'be started it, but mid last year I experienced the bootloops. After some troubleshooting, it tended to happen when I would play games. If I left it to idle or use it for desktop applications, no problems. As soon as I fired up a game, 5 minutes in, it would hard reset with no warning, and get stuck in a boot loop.

My initial thought was, cpu is running too hot. Which seemed unlikely, as I was running a H80i in push pull configuration. I busted out speed fan and logged temps for CPU and gpu. Nothing too excessive. Had a poke around in Bios made some very small tweaks in my fan speeds, and the problem seemingly went away.

End of last year the problem reared its ugly head, but as I was on the cusp of moving interstate for six months of work, I had no time. So I came back a few weeks ago and decided maybe an upgrade might fix it. Put all the parts in, and fired up a game, no joy. Two days of infuriating troubleshooting later. And at this point I've pretty much done everything, I had basically ruled out everything except the PSU, I kind of assumed that this was a freak occurrence. I mean I run my PC's through a UPS, so the power it was getting was clean right?

I went back to my Enermax 1250 revolution (this thing is old lol) which has survived an overclocked 6990. I've submitted a warranty claim through my retailer, which (being a pessimist) I will assume nothing will come through. Or they will advise me to deal with you direct, which I'm not sure if you even have a presence here in Australia.

I don't really expect to be compensated purely because I actually got a bit of mileage out of mine. I know it's an unfair comparison to make, but you guys are the gold standard when it comes to memory, I've purchased countless sticks of ram from you guys, and I don't think I've ever had one go bad.

Making PSUs is very much a different kind of animal I know, but from what I've seen and read, these digital units seem to very fussy about the conditions they're in. Speaking from a personal perspective, I wouldn't sell these digital units if couldn't stand by them and I'm sure they're giving your R & D guys quite the headache. Thanks for hearing me out guys, sorry for the TLDR

Tags
ax760i, ax860i, boot, loop, reboot