Corsair Community

AX850 pulsing whine issue

ya93sin

Hi,

I've recently received a new PSU during the last week from Corsair after RMAing my old one.

Although initially it was fine, it's now emitting a pulsing whiney noise-which, although very quiet, is worrying and an absolute pain to bear with bearing in mind my PC runs extremely quietly.

I don't know whether there is a problem, if it will go away, etc

I know the circuitry in the plugs is fine, I had the old PSU in the same surge protector and socket before without making a noise, so that rules that out.

And there was never a whine issue with the old AX850 that I had.

What do I do?

I can no longer afford £40 shipping costs to the Netherlands due to financial reasons if I need an RMA.

Thanks,

Yasin.

I've read the guide, neither disabling C1E or EIST makes a difference.

I spent a lot of money getting quiet Noctua fans and a Noctua DH-14, even the GPU has a Twin Frozr II cooler so I cannot hear it at idle. Noctua fans have a low frequency noise.

However this whine has a very high pitched noise, and so immediately I notice it.

Half of the reason I have bought the PSU in the first place was as part of a quiet PC set up.

Anyway, the noise is sometimes low pitched and tolerable, sometimes it sounds like one of those annoying flies but with a pitch 2x as high.

I thought perhaps it's power supply from the mains, but I've tried different surge protectors and different sockets, none makes a difference.

And bear in mind there was absolutely no whine whatsoever from my previous AX850 which failed.

The fact is, after spending £40 to get a new PSU (shipping to NL), I've now landed a PSU with a noise I cannot bear.

It has been about a week and already this whine has developed.

So what do I do?

As I said, I can't afford another RMA, I'm just a student at the end of term, I need to earn money not spend it.

I'd really appreciate if you can tell me what you can do for me, this is just driving me up the wall.

I thought I'd gone through enough stress having no PC for about 20 days, but seemingly I have yet more worries.

• Corsair Employee
I just spoke to our customer service and they will issue a call tag for your PSU and send another unit to you as we need to see your PSU and find out why you are getting that noise.

Right, received the next Ax850W from UPS out of the blue this morning.

Replaced all the cables as usual, reinstalled it, made note of the fact it's also called Rev A1W (I assume a revision).

Now, this PSU has a shrieking capacitor, which shrieks both when the PC is on, and when the PC is off (and when mains power is disconnected, it shrieks all the way until the motherboard light turns off).

So I've now kept the first PSU I had (which has the pulsing whine issue, in the system, and have taken out the brand new PSU with shrieking capacitor. As far as I'm concerned, it's a huge liability to run my system with that in.

I'm quite literally at my wits end, I've had 3 faulty AX850s in just over 1 calendar year.

Let me reiterate-it's not my house circuitry, I've tried upstairs, downstairs, with surge protector, without surge protector, both PSUs have noise, and one likes shrieking. And my first AX850W (the one which had its +5V DC rail fail), never made a noise.

I'm no where near happy to keep a PSU which emits this constant noise, I'm no where near happy to keep a PSU which likes to shriek.

So now what do I do?

• Corsair Employee

I am looking into this now, I dont know if we have received the RMA PSU that you sent in once I do and have some more information I will get back with you. And see if we can pretest a unit to send to you. But we need to test the unit you sent back in before we can do anything.

Are you using any sort of Battery Back up or APC and is your out let you are using properly grounded?

Hi,

I'm not using any battery backup or APC, the outlet is definitely grounded, the electricals in the house were checked when we moved in, I'm in an older section of our house (half of the house is near 100 years old, the rest is quite new), however the electricals were checked.

You won't have received the RMA PSU that you issued a call tag for-it's sitting in my room atm, and UPS are coming within a couple days to collect.

I'm not sure if I made it clear in the post I just made-the new PSU has a shrieking sound- as far as I'm concerned, having a shriek is a liability in my system, I'm not risking running my system with that in, as I'm sure you will understand.

So for now I am using the PSU for which you issued the call tag.

Unfortunately, I need a working PC for my job-for legal and confidentiality reasons, I am not legally allowed to use another system to carry out my work, so having a working PC is now a must.

It would be really helpful if the unit next sent was pre-tested, I've now got two PSUs that in my mind are faulty sitting in the room- one has a shrieking sound, the other a whine. And one has had a call tag issued for it.

My question is which one do I send back? I can't place the shrieking one in my system as I fear that it's going to go pop. And I require a running PC to carry out my job, so I've got the PSU you sent a call tag for currently in my system.

Any further advice or directions would be appreciated :)

• Corsair Employee
Please use the call tag and send the unit you just got and we will look at it when it gets here just keep in mind it will go to Almire first then to us here in USA so it may take some time to get here.

Track your package at UPS

It looks like the tracking number is 1Z762E3R9365654210.

Merchandise Description: RMA#1276957

Number of Packages: 1

UPS Service: Express Saver

Return Service: UPS Returns Plus, 3 UPS Pickup Attempts

Weight: 4,0 KGS

Tracking Number: 1Z762E3R9365654210

Invoice Number: RMA#1276957

Purchase Order Number: cmpsu-850axuk

I believe that's the tracking number for the UPS parcel, not sure whether that changes once they pick it up, I believe it will be the same.

Oh it got picked up today, I phoned them up myself at midday (7 hrs ago), and they picked it up 2-3 hours ago.

Apparently yesterday they forgot to print out the labels for the guy who delivered the "shrieker", so he couldn't collect.

OK, I've received PSU no. 4, it seems OK so far. I will ofc keep you updated on it.

PSU no. 2 (the one for which I created this thread) was collected today by UPS, so you should have 2 PSUs on their way back to the Netherlands. (whiner+shrieker PSUs).

Archived