Corsair Community

First time build - noisy ML 120mm fans

boop

Hello,

I've recently just built my first computer and the 3 fans (ML 120mm) that came with my Corsair H150I PRO RGB cooler are making loud noises/vibrations even at low RPM. I'm not sure if I built the computer wrong or if it's a defective fan(s). My setup is as follows:

Corsair h150i radiator side mounted to case (500D RGB SE). 3 fans ML 120mm that came with the cooler are attached to the front of the radiator with corsair logo showing at the front. 3 LL120 fans attached to other side of the radiator with corsair logo visible inside case.

3 fans ML 120mm fans connected to H150i pump 3 way splitter cable. H150i connected to CPU_FAN header with PWM mode enabled in motherboard bios. H150i usb port cable header connected to commander pro. Commander pro connected to usb header on motherboard. LL120 fans connected to rgb hub which the hub then connects to the commander pro.

I apologise for the newbie wording. I'm new to the world of pc building

Hello,

I've recently just built my first computer and the 3 fans (ML 120mm) that came with my Corsair H150I PRO RGB cooler are making loud noises/vibrations even at low RPM. I'm not sure if I built the computer wrong or if it's a defective fan(s). My setup is as follows:

Corsair h150i radiator side mounted to case (500D RGB SE). 3 fans ML 120mm that came with the cooler are attached to the front of the radiator with corsair logo showing at the front. 3 LL120 fans attached to other side of the radiator with corsair logo visible inside case.

3 fans ML 120mm fans connected to H150i pump 3 way splitter cable. H150i connected to CPU_FAN header with PWM mode enabled in motherboard bios. H150i usb port cable header connected to commander pro. Commander pro connected to usb header on motherboard. LL120 fans connected to rgb hub which the hub then connects to the commander pro.

I apologise for the newbie wording. I'm new to the world of pc building

Your wording is clear. I do wish all folks were as detailed as you were.

First, let's see if we can narrow down the fan(s) on question here. Can you stop the fans one at a time to see if the noise goes away? Or even stop all three?

Noise and vibrations are unusual from the ML fans ... unless they are on DC control and not receiving a full 12V. But you have them connected directly to the cooler so that's not your issue here. The other possibility is that you have them too tight and the blades are hitting something or a little too loose. But let's first makes sure that it's the fans and see if we can determine if it's a single fan or all of them.

A lot of this may depend on your definition of loud. The ML fans have a definite "tone" to them, probably because of the magnetic levitation bearing. It makes some noise even when at low speed. Whether or not you can hear it is another matter. I have 4 x ML140 on a radiator right now. It is a quiet, icy morning and I can clearly hear them at 4ft from my ear. I used them for years as a pair of 2 and never noticed, but once you get enough together that frequency become audible in a quiet room.

The easier way to sort this out is to unplug the ML120 fans from the H150i splitter one at a time and listen to see if the sound changes. At idle, you don't need fan speed and can take your time. In there is a bad one in the bunch, it should stick out. If the tone drops in volume with each fan removed, then you know it is the specifics of that model. An easy solution would be 3 more LL120 to match. They will not make that tone and I consider them quieter at idle. That is the top half of my case now. I might cost you 1C or so in coolant temp rise on a 9900K, but that would be a pretty easy trade for quiet idle.

Your wording is clear. I do wish all folks were as detailed as you were.

First, let's see if we can narrow down the fan(s) on question here. Can you stop the fans one at a time to see if the noise goes away? Or even stop all three?

Noise and vibrations are unusual from the ML fans ... unless they are on DC control and not receiving a full 12V. But you have them connected directly to the cooler so that's not your issue here. The other possibility is that you have them too tight and the blades are hitting something or a little too loose. But let's first makes sure that it's the fans and see if we can determine if it's a single fan or all of them.

I'll try disabling each fan one at a time as you suggested. However, I did connect the fans using an extender to the cooler (not sure if this is a factor).

I believe I did stop all three fans the other day and the system was whisper quiet. It's just I didn't check each individual fan. Also the side of the radiator where I have the ML fans attached to, there are no washers and the side with the LL fans - there are washers attached (can't remember why I did this).

Unscrewing the fans - if it came to that... would I then have to remove the cooler off from the cpu and clean the thermal compound and reapply? I'm just assuming there won't be much room to get away with just removing the fans.

I'll be sure to update you once I'm home early next week. Thank you for the advice!

A lot of this may depend on your definition of loud. The ML fans have a definite "tone" to them, probably because of the magnetic levitation bearing. It makes some noise even when at low speed. Whether or not you can hear it is another matter. I have 4 x ML140 on a radiator right now. It is a quiet, icy morning and I can clearly hear them at 4ft from my ear. I used them for years as a pair of 2 and never noticed, but once you get enough together that frequency become audible in a quiet room.

The easier way to sort this out is to unplug the ML120 fans from the H150i splitter one at a time and listen to see if the sound changes. At idle, you don't need fan speed and can take your time. In there is a bad one in the bunch, it should stick out. If the tone drops in volume with each fan removed, then you know it is the specifics of that model. An easy solution would be 3 more LL120 to match. They will not make that tone and I consider them quieter at idle. That is the top half of my case now. I might cost you 1C or so in coolant temp rise on a 9900K, but that would be a pretty easy trade for quiet idle.

I'll try disabling one fan at a time using the corsair software to determine which fan(s) are the root cause. Not too keen on replacing the fans at this current time since I've already spent a lot of money on the system thus far. I'll update you once I return home early next week. Thank you for the info!

Edited by boop

There may be easier things to do to combat the noise. I would use the zero RPM feature to knock them down to 0 first, before taking things apart. Bad fans, loose mounts, too tight, etc. tend to make sharp or clipping sounds. It is usually easier to pinpoint the origin. If it is the bearing sound, it is rather diffuse and low. Much more difficult to ascertain. Of course this good from auditory perspective, but if you are hearing it, then not quite so much.

• 3 weeks later...
I know that you mentioned loud noise/ vibrations, but what does it sound like? Is it just a vibration, or is it accompanied by any tone? The reason why I ask is because I got one ML 140 Pro fan and it is the most obnoxious sound I've ever heard past 1,000 RPM. It's like a coil wine sort of a buzz.

I know that you mentioned loud noise/ vibrations, but what does it sound like? Is it just a vibration, or is it accompanied by any tone? The reason why I ask is because I got one ML 140 Pro fan and it is the most obnoxious sound I've ever heard past 1,000 RPM. It's like a coil wine sort of a buzz.

If you are hearing anything in a high frequency range or that changes it's tune with the fan speed, something is wrong. It could be in your power run or it could be the fan. Move the fan to a different control source and see if the issue persists.

No 140mm fan is quiet going past 1000 RPM. The ML are better than most and I can take it for about 200 rpm more than all others. The good news is you really shouldn't need to run higher than that and if it is is ML140-RGB, you can't. A normal fan noise at that speed should sound pretty much like a loud fan and nothing else. There shouldn't be any audible background underneath and the blade/air noise should drown it out.

If you are hearing anything in a high frequency range or that changes it's tune with the fan speed, something is wrong. It could be in your power run or it could be the fan. Move the fan to a different control source and see if the issue persists.

No 140mm fan is quiet going past 1000 RPM. The ML are better than most and I can take it for about 200 rpm more than all others. The good news is you really shouldn't need to run higher than that and if it is is ML140-RGB, you can't. A normal fan noise at that speed should sound pretty much like a loud fan and nothing else. There shouldn't be any audible background underneath and the blade/air noise should drown it out.

I've tried 2 ML 140 Pro (non rgb ver.) on every commander pro header, and also moved it to a normal motherboard header. It's the exact same. All the other LL fans I have are perfectly normal, no buzz sound even at full speed. Also, I'd like to add that the advertised speed on the box says 2000 rpm, but both fans I've tried do not reach that. The first one reached 1790rpm and now this one I think around 1850rpm Let me know if you think this is the normal sound or not please: [ame]

[/ame] Edited by center311

I've tried 2 ML 140 Pro (non rgb ver.) on every commander pro header, and also moved it to a normal motherboard header. It's the exact same. All the other LL fans I have are perfectly normal, no buzz sound even at full speed. Also, I'd like to add that the advertised speed on the box says 2000 rpm, but both fans I've tried do not reach that. The first one reached 1790rpm and now this one I think around 1850rpm Let me know if you think this is the normal sound or not please:

All fans have a +-10% variance, however usually physical resistance is more influential. What is on the other side of the ML Pro? One thing I certainly noticed in comparing this to all my various ML140s is the dramatic change in tone in free air when I place my hand anywhere near the intake side of the fan at high speed. It will push the noise into a higher frequency band.

If you are looking for a 140mm fan that runs quiet/low noise in the 1300-2000 rpm range, it doesn't exist and probably never will. 1300 is my 140mm benchmark speed limit for a reason. Can't take it past that. All that said, the high pitch whine is weird. My old 3000 RPM A14i PPC would do that around 2500 rpm. One reason they only lasted a week. If you've already tried other fans headers on a different power circuit (motherboard vs C-Pro) and you can rule out some kind of case mesh/filter influencing the sound, then I would say the issue is in the motor. If you have any return options, use them. If too late, contact Corsair through the Support Ticket System portal in the menu header above.