Corsair Community

DDR4 3200 vs 3600

bsanders03

Hello all. I am new to the CORSAIR and custom builds. I currently am working on a 3 monitor setup. My tower included the following..

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x

ASUS AMD AM4 ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) Motherboard

Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB - 2 of these

MSI Geforce RTX 2080 TI 11GB Gaming X Trio

Corsair 1000 Watt Platinum Power supply

Windows 10 64 Bit

Monitors are Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27inch (Running a 3 monitor setup)

Tower is a Corsair Crystal 570X RGB Mirror Black ATX Mid Tower

Cooling is Corsair H115i RGB Platinum Liquid Cooler

My questions is... I am looking at 2 memory modules. One being the....

CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200

CMW32GX4M2C3200C16

CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 CMT16GX4M2K3600C16

Which one is going to work better in my system? I hear a lot of mixed reviews on memory compatibility with the Ryzen 3000 series. Plus one is a Dominator and one is a Vengeance. Personally I like the looks of the Vengeance over the Dominator, but I can not find the Vengeance with 3600 MHZ. Any help would be great

I don't think Corsair made Vengeance 2x16Gb kit with 3600. You can get 4x8 3600 if that's works for you. I have 4x8 3200 OCd to 3600 on ROG Strix 570-E Gaming with no problem. BTW you only going to see minimal difference in gaming between 3200 and 3600

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D1XJ8J9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Edited by NosGH

Hello all. I am new to the CORSAIR and custom builds. I currently am working on a 3 monitor setup. My tower included the following..

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x

ASUS AMD AM4 ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) Motherboard

Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB - 2 of these

MSI Geforce RTX 2080 TI 11GB Gaming X Trio

Corsair 1000 Watt Platinum Power supply

Windows 10 64 Bit

Monitors are Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27inch (Running a 3 monitor setup)

Tower is a Corsair Crystal 570X RGB Mirror Black ATX Mid Tower

Cooling is Corsair H115i RGB Platinum Liquid Cooler

My questions is... I am looking at 2 memory modules. One being the....

CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200

CMW32GX4M2C3200C16

CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 CMT16GX4M2K3600C16

Which one is going to work better in my system? I hear a lot of mixed reviews on memory compatibility with the Ryzen 3000 series. Plus one is a Dominator and one is a Vengeance. Personally I like the looks of the Vengeance over the Dominator, but I can not find the Vengeance with 3600 MHZ. Any help would be great

No definite answer to your question but consider this...

Instead of CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 consider CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16 instead since it is expressly advertised as AMD compatible memory where the other is not. I have the CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 kit, it works, but I have an incompatibility issue with an XMP timing with my Ryzen system so you might consider that you also may encounter a similar problem although I'm running 3800x on x470 not x570.

If I had an opportunity to exchange CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 for CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16 I would probably try it just to eliminate the compatibility issue but otherwise it does run well now at DDR4-3200 (with slightly adjusted timings) with the latest AGESA updates.

As for 2x8(16GB) vs. 2x16(32GB), 2x8 is certainly good now but 2x16 is a good capacity for future use.

I wouldn't go for a 4x8 or 4x16 unless you found some reasonable info your hardware will run them at the rated speed, especially if you decide to get DDR4-3600, otherwise take your chances for disappointment.

There are plenty of videos around now comparing the different memory speeds impact on performance these days. Some may suggest going from 3200 to 3600 doesn't make enough of a difference compared to cost.

I hope this helps.

Edited by A Computer Guy

The CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16.... Can I run this with another set? So buy 2 - 2 X 16 chips, a total of 4. Will this work?

Also, after doing some research on the vengeance and dominator series, I am starting to like the LED output on the Dominator now, lol.

Is there a dominator memory that will work with my board that is like the CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16

I found this one that is on the QVL for the dominator. what's your thoughts?

CMT32GX4M4Z3200C16

Edited by bsanders03
new memory

The CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16.... Can I run this with another set? So buy 2 - 2 X 16 chips, a total of 4. Will this work?

Also, after doing some research on the vengeance and dominator series, I am starting to like the LED output on the Dominator now, lol.

Is there a dominator memory that will work with my board that is like the CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16

I found this one that is on the QVL for the dominator. what's your thoughts?

CMT32GX4M4Z3200C16

Please don't both post here and pm me at the same time. One copy of the same message is enough, preferably keep it in the forum. Thanks.

Typically not recommended to mix any two kits together even if they are the same model and version since there is always a risk of incompatibility considering two different kits are not tested together.

However there is nothing to say two identical kits won't work either. I did that with my LPX DDR4-2400 kits and it was just fine but I was specifically able to confirm both model and version at the store. When buying online you can't guarantee that you will get the same thing at any time.

According to the Asus QVL the CMT32GX4M4Z3200C16(Ver5.32) kit it should work specifically with 4 dimms and that is better info than anything I can provide considering I don't have your hardware specifically to confirm.

Pros

---------

- DDR4-3200 minimum

- on QVL for 2/4 dimms

- AMD specified compatible ram

Cons

---------

- Asus does not list tested frequency so there is no way to tell if the ram worked fine at the specified frequency (most people would just assume it does). For example ASRock lists the rams frequency and tested frequency.

- When ordering online there is no guarantee you will get the model and version number you require

The Asus QVL listed CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16(Ver3.31) but only for 2 dimms so there is a risk of incompatibility in the case you try to combine two kits of this type.

Pros

---------

- DDR4-3200 minimum

- on QVL for 2 dimms only

- AMD specified compatible ram

Cons

---------

- Asus does not list tested in 4 dimm configuration (probably because it's a 2 dimm kit)

- When ordering online there is no guarantee you will get the model and version number you require

Edited by A Computer Guy

If I get CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16, would I be able to add a 2nd set of this ram? Or should I order 2 sets now of this exact one?

Reason I ask is because you say sometimes they don’t send the same model number to you. Would it be safer to just get both now?

I get confused when it talks about 2/4 dimm. It shows 2 dimm, but does this mean I can only ever run 1 set of these and not but a 2nd set?

If I get CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16, would I be able to add a 2nd set of this ram? Or should I order 2 sets now of this exact one?

The answer to the first part is *maybe*. Only getting a kit of 4 will reduce the likelihood of issues being caused by otherwise mixing two kits when you intend to fill all 4 slots.

Reason I ask is because you say sometimes they don’t send the same model number to you. Would it be safer to just get both now?

The safest thing is to get a kit of 4 dimms if you intend to fill all 4 slots with real ram.

I get confused when it talks about 2/4 dimm. It shows 2 dimm, but does this mean I can only ever run 1 set of these and not but a 2nd set?

It means they didn't test that model in a 4 dimm configuration. So it unknown if it will work or not. Where for the other model (is a 4 dimm kit) and they show a dot in that column to indicate that it was tested in a 4 dimm configuration.

Maybe it would be less confusing if you decide on the following questions based on what is most important to you.

16GB or 32GB or 64GB

(initial capacity)?

Decide if you want to fill all slots.

(aesthetics vs. possible trade-off in frequency)?

(Note: I believe Corsair has a special "fake ram" kit so you can fill empty slots with RGB)

Decide it you would potentially want to increase ram later or maybe never.

(increase capacity vs. possible trade-off in frequency)?

Edited by A Computer Guy

I am fine with a 2x16. 32 GB at 3200 MHz seems good to me. I just didn’t know if I could add more of this same type. As you state, it sounds like they haven’t tested that exact ram in a 4 dimm situation, so it would be a risk.

If I decide to buy 2 of this same kit and install, how would I test to see if I was getting my maximum output from the memory. I understand a little bit not enough to look into the system to see if it’s running up to the correct speed and capacity.

They do make a blank kit for astetics. So I have that option as well

We are using the PC for gaming mostly. Here is what the system will have.

Asus RoG X570 crosshair viii WiFi

Ryzen 9 3900 at least. Possibly 3950 once it comes out

2 - m.2 SSD

MSI GFORCE 2080 TI TRIO

Corsair 1000w power supply

Thanks for all your help so far. It’s been a HUGE help!!

I am fine with a 2x16. 32 GB at 3200 MHz seems good to me. I just didn’t know if I could add more of this same type. As you state, it sounds like they haven’t tested that exact ram in a 4 dimm situation, so it would be a risk.

If I decide to buy 2 of this same kit and install, how would I test to see if I was getting my maximum output from the memory. I understand a little bit not enough to look into the system to see if it’s running up to the correct speed and capacity.

They do make a blank kit for astetics. So I have that option as well

We are using the PC for gaming mostly. Here is what the system will have.

Asus RoG X570 crosshair viii WiFi

Ryzen 9 3900 at least. Possibly 3950 once it comes out

2 - m.2 SSD

MSI GFORCE 2080 TI TRIO

Corsair 1000w power supply

Thanks for all your help so far. It’s been a HUGE help!!

When you get your system put together you will need to get familiar with your BIOS/UEFI. This is where you will need to configure your memory. If your using compatible memory then it may be as simple as selecting the proper XMP option in your BIOS/UEFI and moving on to the next part of your setup.

There are programs you can use once the system is running such as CPUz, HWiNFO64, and Ryzen Master that will give you insights into your ram speeds and configuration.