Corsair Community

Solution for the "KBD Boot Loader" on Windows 10

MaxSpiltz

Hello to everyone,

Few days ago I faced a big problem with my Corsair Raptor K40. The LED were almost all shutdown, it wasn't recognized anymore by the software and the most annoying thing : the LED for CAPS LOCK, NUM LOCK... kept flashing.

I saw in my Control Panel that the Keyboard was now recognized by Windows as a "KBD Boot Loader". So I tried to search for a solution on the whole internet, but nobody seemed to have the solution. I got even more worried when I came across this post from Corsair : Windows 10 Compatibility

I also read somewhere what upgrading to Windows 10 would cause such problem but actually, I managed to make my Keyboard works again. So this solution is certainly mostly dedicated for people owning this Keyboard and having upgraded to Windows 10.

1. Download the last software and driver from the website of Corsair : Link

2. Install the software on your PC.

3. Now, go into your Control Panel

4. Go inside the section "View devices and printers". You should see your keyboard with the name "KBD Boot Loader"

5. Right-click on it and click on Properties

6. Inside the Properties, go in the Hardware section. You should see two device functions : HID Keyboard Device and USB Input Device.

7. Select the USB Input Device and click on "Properties".

8. Click on "Change Settings" and then go in the "Driver" Section. At this point, you should see this :

http://i.imgur.com/faeo8Hu.png

9. Here, you have to click on Update driver.

10. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".

11. Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

12. Click on "Have Disk" and then click on "Browse" for the next window.

13. Here, you have to find a special file inside the software you installed. This is the path I have : C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\K40 firmware update\Driver\X64

(If you have a 32bits version of Windows, select the X86 folder instead)

You'll have to select the file "CORK40.inf"

http://i.imgur.com/hFJUqhK.png

14. Press "OK" to validate the installation. Now back in the Hardware properties of the device, the "USB Input Device" should have turned into "Corsair K40 Gaming Keyboard".

15. Now select the HID Keyboard Device and click on "Properties".

16. Click on "Change settings".

17. Go in the Driver section and click on "Uninstall". Validate every message of Windows coming for this uninstallation

18. Now, in the Hardware section there should be only the "Corsair K40 Gaming Keyboard" remaining even if your keyboard will still shows as "KBD Boot Loader". Don't worry we're almost done !

19. Install the "K40FwUpdate" file. Once it's done, the updater should show up.

20. Launch the update action on your keyboard (which should be recognized now) and wait for it to install his files.

21. You're done ! Your keyboard should (magically) lights up again !

I don't know if it could work on other keyboards from the K series, but I hope it'll help people :).

It looks similar for the legacy K and M series peripherals guide here;

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=104856

Either way, glad to hear the keyboard is working fine and that the flashing indicator lights probably indicates the keyboard is in bootloader mode.

Indeed. Actually I tried to use this method but it didn't worked, I had to tweak it a bit so it could work.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi.

I mahve this issue for a K30 Keyboard, I tried these steps and worked perfectly, but now i have an issue, the keyboard is detected as a K40, and all the keys are writing different stuff, i wonder if this is because of the K40 Firmware on my K30, I don't know if the K30 Firmware update exist, I can't Find it, does anyone have access to it?

Thanks a lot

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Hey, I'm stuck on step 19, could you help me (with screenshots maybe) how to find the K40FwUpdate file?

You should find the file inside of the ZIP you downloaded in step 1.

http://www.corsair.com/~/media/Corsair/download-files/drivers/keyboards/K40-setup-1_0_0_4_120313.zip

• 12/12/2013 03:27 PM 26,160,704 K40 setup 1.0.0.4 120313.exe
  • 12/12/2013 03:26 PM 1,101,728 K40FwUpdate 1.00 sw-1.4.exe

Does anybody know by any chance if there is such a firmware update for K30? I have a K30, I have this same problem, but I haven't had any luck finding a firmware update for this keyboard :/

my k30 woke up this morning the the same problem , there is no update and im buggered on how to fix it , one thing i can say i will not be buying there **** anymore , 1st my brand new headphones and now the poxy keyboard

@Toasted

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

@TheDarkSide69

Funny you should say that, cause I'm of the same opinion, since this is actually my second K30. First one just stopped working at all one day after maybe half a year of use for no reason, tech service didn't know what the problem was so they just gave me a new one. And now not two months have passed since that day and once again I'm having problems...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I have the Corsair K55 and this is happening to me, but I can't get any software and drivers for it on the main site. I've tried everything from uninstalling drivers to unplugging and re-plugging USB. It won't even work without the CUE. I've submitted a ticket. All my RGB and Media keys don't work only the top right white lights are flashing. It even says on my device and printers "Corsair K55 Bootloader"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The K30 software is from 2013. It is not recognised in CUE.

There is no firmware update for the 1MB on board memory, nor any way to reset it and stop Bootloader Mode and the flashing lights error.

Chad from Corsair Support has stated:

K30 and Vengeance K30 keyboards are being update since then with a software which I provided to you (Its the same 2013 software) and updates are being provided automatically from our server to your keyboard using this software.

This keyboard has a storage drive to with a maximum of 1mb to store firmware file and this what the keyboard uses to communicate to the software and computer, with this corrupted keyboard functionally will be gone as what you're experiencing.

I've asked how this can happen, when was the last update etc because something caused my K30 to go into Bootloader mode randomly and is now useless. Corsair themselves still sell this Keyboard directly through Amazon.

I've also been told it's END of LINE, but still being sold.

How can a product with no manual way of updating become unuseable after a random update that no one at Coprsair can confirm even exists?

Why is there no firmware reset option?

I've an open ticket trying to get to the bottom of this. I'll update if I learn anything just for the K30 users.