Corsair Community

Confused re: Dell XPS memory upgrade

T Mac

Some background - I purchased 4 2GB Corsair modules a few months ago. They are part # CM2X2048-6400C5C. At the time my machine had 4GB of Dell RAM in it and was running XP. I kept getting blue screens, but BIOS always recognized the 8GB. I was told that I may need a 64-bit OS to remedy this, but the RAM was compatible with my machine.

Now, I inserted a new hard drive and am now running Win 7 at 64 bit. So, I held on to the RAM all this time to try with the new install. I continue to get blue screens and random reboots, so I pulled the Corsair RAM out and went back with the Dell 4GB and it's rock solid again.

So my questions are:

1) Are these modules compatible with the Dell XPS 720? I ran the configurator tonight and they don't show up, but actually nothing more than 1GB modules show up.

2) Does Corsair take RAM back several months after purchase? (NewEgg won't now that my date has passed by)

3) Is there any other advice or suggestions for this situation? I had Corsair in a previous gaming machine that I built and prefer to max this out with Corsair, but I have also been told by several IT techs that Dell's don't play nice with Corsair. Oddly, Dells perform better with Dell RAM - go figure.

Thanks all.

I have also been told by several IT techs that Dell's don't play nice with Corsair.

1) Corsair brand memory shouldn't be a problem, since your model appears to come with Corsair memory.

Here is a quote from the Dell site:

With the XPS 720, we’ve significantly boosted performance over the previous generation by offering up to 4GB of Corsair® high-performance memory. If you’re serious about power, this DDR2 memory solution operates at 800MHz, taking your gaming, multimedia and everyday PC experience to speeds you never imagined. Switch to a 64-bit operating system, and add even more horsepower with a staggering 8GB of dual-channel memory.

Here is the link:

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/desktops/xpsdt_720/pd.aspx?refid=xpsdt_720&cs=22&s=dfh

Did you purchase these as single modules or in kits?

Look at all 4 modules. Are the timings and voltages the same?

If not, please list the Timings, Voltages and Version numbers.

Thanks for the replies.

I purchased two 2-packs of Corsair XMS2 4GB 2x2GB from NewEgg.

All four modules are 800MHz, 2048mb, 5-5-5-18 1.80v ver6.1

Looking at the Dell upgrade page now, they only show Corsair as 1GB modules for sale now, no 2GB.

As you say, raven, this should work because others have had success. I've read about it on other forums back when I purchased these. But, I seem to have also read that some Dell machines don't use exactly the same parts and aren't as compatible sometimes. Doesn't make it easy.

Think I'm stuck with this RAM now? Am I stuck buying Dell RAM if I really want to go to 8GB?

You can try this, turn off and unplug your computer. Install 1 kit (2 matching modules) of new ram in the same slots the Dell memory was in and boot into BIOS. Load System Defaults, save and exit. This is for basic compatibility.

Do you still get Blue Screens?

If you do, Clear CMOS and retry. You may have to reset date and time.

If you still do, swap kits and try the second new kit in the same slots.

If you don't, install the second kit (all 4 modules) and increase the NB (NorthBridge) voltage by 0.2 volts.

If your still having problems, it's time to start testing with Memtest86+. Of course, you can run the tests first, before following the steps above.

Let us know how it goes!

If you don't, install the second kit (all 4 modules) and increase the NB (NorthBridge) voltage by 0.2 volts.

How do I increase voltage? I have the first set of two in slots 1 and 2 right now and it already rebooted on its own after about 5 minutes but I was also trying it with EPP enabled. Just reset it to Standard and trying again.

I did clear the BIOS to return to factory defaults tonight too.

Update: now the computer continues to reboot on its own and I am getting errors of "floppy diskette seek error". Crazy. I even removed floppy diskette from the boot sequence and I still get it.

This is beginning to be a nightmare.

Old RAM is back in the computer and I want to sell this Corsair RAM and just settle for 4GB, I guess.

T Mac,

Until you get 2 modules to work smoothly, a NB voltage increase is not needed. That's for 4 modules.

Your tring to get Basic Compatibility settings to work. Enabling EPP or anything else is counterproductive right now.

Were the 2 matching (part numbers) modules from 1 kit installed in the white slots only?

Did you try clearing CMOS? You have to move a jumper and sometimes the battery on the motherboard.

The directions are in your manual.

Page 89 for the location of the jumpers and battery on your motherboard.

Page 175 for clearing CMOS procedure.

If you don't have a manual, here's a link:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps720/en/OM_EN/NP756A00.pdf

After clearing CMOS, boot into BIOS, NOT windows. Reset date, time and boot order if needed. Load System Defaults. Save and Exit.

Do you still get blue screens or reboots?

Post back before making any changes.

Archived