Corsair Community

Rm750x Heat shield come loose

Dying_Snail

Hi, all

Got my Rm750x in January and about 2 weeks ago I heard a rather loud and strange noise coming from my pc or the psu to be more precise, up on removing it to check I could see what I presume to be a heat shield but could be wrong see included photo below .

As the retailer I got it from as yet to reply to my multiple messages, do you think its safe me still using the psu with the fan facing up as doing that the "heat shield" (or whatever it is) drops down and doesn't touch the fan so no noise?

Rm750x.thumb.jpg.83994cee5cf58dc37f0ab261662ba0ed.jpg

• Corsair Employee
Hi, all

Got my Rm750x in January and about 2 weeks ago I heard a rather loud and strange noise coming from my pc or the psu to be more precise, up on removing it to check I could see what I presume to be a heat shield but could be wrong see included photo below .

As the retailer I got it from as yet to reply to my multiple messages, do you think its safe me still using the psu with the fan facing up as doing that the "heat shield" (or whatever it is) drops down and doesn't touch the fan so no noise?

Wow! That's REALLY weird.

It's not a heat shield. It's an EMI shield that isolated noise between the main transformer and the DC to DC module.

Whether or not you can run the PSU with the fan up totally depends on what case you're using.

What country are you in?

Edited by jonnyguru

I'm running it fan up in my case currently, I more wanted to know if it was safe to do so should of made that clearer, not ideal especially in this heat with it competing for air with my gpu, but its only till I get a replacement if my retail ever gets back to me.

I'm in the UK.

And thank you.

• Corsair Employee
I'm running it fan up in my case currently, I more wanted to know if it was safe to do so should of made that clearer, not ideal especially in this heat with it competing for air with my gpu, but its only till I get a replacement if my retail ever gets back to me.

Like I said, running the PSU fan up completely depends on what case you're using. Back in the day, ALL power supplies ran with the fan facing the motherboard and the PSU was considered part of the PC's total cooling solution.

I'm in the UK.

Ok. I asked because if you contact Corsair directly, they can do the RMA for you and it's done through Scan in the UK so it might be quicker than waiting for whoever you bought your PSU from.

What's the lot code for your PSU? The lot code is the first eight digits of your serial number.

That's good about Scan doing the RMA I like Scan used them a lot this year and got a psu coming from for a second build I'm doing.

I'll give who I got this one from the weekend if I don't hear anything I'll contact Corsair directly.

And the lot code is 19307102.

And thank you again been a fan of yours for a few years the last pc I built in 2008, I picked a PcPower and Cooling psu because of the review on your site and it was the bright red one like you reviewed.

• Corsair Employee

And thank you again been a fan of yours for a few years the last pc I built in 2008, I picked a PcPower and Cooling psu because of the review on your site and it was the bright red one like you reviewed.

Oh wow! I remember doing that review. :D

It was the only site I trusted back then you was the only one doing proper testing that I could find anyway, just been and had a look at that review and had forgot that it was a bright red in my mind it wasn't so bright but could be the photos lol.

• Corsair Employee
It was the only site I trusted back then you was the only one doing proper testing that I could find anyway, just been and had a look at that review and had forgot that it was a bright red in my mind it wasn't so bright but could be the photos lol.

I would say it was more of an orange than a red. :D