Corsair Community

Will k65 rgb software work with windows xp?

Shrink7799

I think the problem is that Windows XP has spotty support for USB 2.0, and many 2.0 devices are forced to slow down to 1.0 speeds when used in XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312370

Also does the software used to change the lighting profiles on the keyboard come with it? Like when I plug it into my computer will that software download?

Or is there a separate place I have to download it?

I just downloaded corsair utility engine and it istalled all of the drivers but then when I tried to open it, it has error, unable to find entry point, getthreadid could not be located. Is this because I don't have the keyboard yet or could it be because I'm running windows xp? Any advise

I just downloaded corsair utility engine and it istalled all of the drivers but then when I tried to open it, it has error, unable to find entry point, getthreadid could not be located. Is this because I don't have the keyboard yet or could it be because I'm running windows xp? Any advise

You need the keyboard or the software won't know what options to show you. The same software is used for K65, K70, K95, M65, Sabre and H2100.

Also if I recall right Windows XP is not listed in the supported OS so it might not work properly, your best bet is to submit a ticket and get an official reply from Corsair. Unless someone using an RGB keyboard with Windows XP can confirm it does indeed work.

An "unable to find an entry point" error is usually the result of a program incompatibility with the OS version. Newer OS versions add/change stuff to the kernel quite a bit. New program compilers eventually assume a different OS version to use as the baseline (Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 had a bit of fun history regarding that). The two biggest kernel changes were probably from XP SP1 to XP SP2 and from XP SP3 to Vista. In short, the Corsair Utility Engine is expecting something that isn't in XP. The easiest solution would be to ask Corsair to compile the program using an older compiler that still supports XP. Otherwise, you'll have to use a newer OS to run it.

As for running XP, there are plenty of reasons despite Microsoft dropping support for it. Could be an older computer whose hardware lacks driver support. Could be an older retro gaming machine. Or could just be an XP holdout who couldn't get used to the new user interface; remember that XP's interface goes back to Windows 95... breaking a 20 year old habit isn't easy.

Archived