Corsair Community

Best RGB Fans for radiators?

MGWHAT

I am interested in getting some Corsair iCue fans to put on a non-Corsair AIO water cooler.

Bur Corsair's naming conventions of their fans and website descriptions on their main website are extremely poor and make it difficult to choose the correct fan. And I suspect just downright have incorrect information in some cases.

For example. Their ML120 NON-RGB fans Here report a static pressure of up to 4.2 mm/h2o, which is pretty good.

But, if you look at the RGB version of the same fan ML120 here , it shows the static pressure tops out at 1.78mm/h2o. Are we to believe that just adding RGB reduces the static pressure of these fans by more than half? That seems ridiculous to me.

Another example is the WHITE LL120 RGB fans here which show static pressure of 3.0mm/h2o, again not too bad.

Then, you look at the BLACK LL120 RGB here (again, same model fan, just a different color) and again it shows a huuuge drop of static pressure to 1.61 mm/h2o. So did changing the frame color of these fans really reduce the pressure by half? It makes no sense.

Anyway, just generally frustrated as I'm trying to keep everything under iCue as it seems to be the most widely used RGB software, but picking out Corsair fans to use for it is a lot more annoying than it should be. I'm just trying to pick out the RGB fan with the highest static pressure, but the website inconsistencies make me skeptical as to whether I'm picking the right one.

Static pressure is the amount of load required to reduce the fan from speed X to 0 rpm. This is typically measured at the maximum RPM only, so that makes comparing numbers from fans with different maximum speeds more difficult. You need to do a little math and convert the higher speed fan down to the lower RPM and pressure. P-Q curves are not strictly linear like this, but its all you can do.

However, static pressure is not a golden rule, automatic success type of value. It is ver situational. A phenomenal radiator fan will have pathetic looking pressure values at low speeds and a tiny 40mm fan will have a very plump figure at 4000 rpm. What really matters is the ability to move air through the radiator. 4.0mm of H20 or not, the little 40mm will move about 10 cfm. The perfect radiator fan beats that at its minimum possible speed.

RGB fans are too expensive to make decisions based on hundredths of a point of a statistical derivative. If you really feel your life is going to be drastically altered if the coolant temp comes back 2C warmer, then you may not want RGB fans at all and need to find a suitable 38mm thick Industrial model. However, if you do want RGB fans, pick the ones you like. All of them will work on the radiator and only someone within 2C of their CPU throttle point needs to worry very much about fan blade design. This is a small portion of the total CPU temperature.

c-attack makes some really good points.

You can go bonkers trying to build the spreadsheet comparing pressure to air flow to noise to RGB features. And at the end of the day he is correct, will a few degrees mean that much?

Better to look at your loop, base line thought is 240mm per cooled device at a minimum. How much does sound matter? How much does the RGB look matter?

I run ML120 Pro RGB, they are 1600rpm max fans. I choose sound profile over fan stats, I wanted subtle RGB over Griswald lighting. I also have 3x360mm rads for 1 GPU and 1 CPU.

there is no "best" fan for every loop, there is just the best for your loop based on what you want out of it.

As a novice that totally lucked into buying the ML120 Pro, based on a review that I didn't entirely understand...

They are virtually silent and really cool looking - install easily and come with everything you need

but it is a $100 clams for a 3 pack

Yeah its steep, I bought three of those kits and a single. But they come with lighting hubs and nodes as a bonus making it a little easier to swallow.

I wish Corsair would add a 3>1 splitter of good quality since these are so low power usage they do work with three on one PWM header.