Corsair Community

RMi 850W PSU Default fan profile via iCUE

Baba Yetu VI

Hi Corsair,

I'm using a newly purchased RMi 850W PSU and has it connected to the motherboard USB header for iCUE software to monitor it.

iCUE discovers the PUS, that's good thing.

However, when I went into Performance and checked out the fan profile, there was only 1 which is called "Default".

And I checked the fan speed which showed 0 rpm. At that time, the temperature was hovering around 27.5 Celsius.

Does that mean the no matter how hot the temperature turns out to be, the fan will never spin up if I stick to this "Default" profile?

Thanks for your attention.

Rgds

It will probably never spin because the PSU has plenty of ventilation and will never reach half the limits the capacitors are rated for/at.

My PSU has the "default" setting and it's at 34.5C, but heck I got a lot of stuff hooked up to it, plus 6x 140mm fans, 3x 120mm and all fans are at almost below 40%, so almost inaudible.

So, don't worry if you can't adjust the setting because I doubt that your PSU will ever reach 50C because I think that's when the fan starts to spin.

And I checked the fan speed which showed 0 rpm. At that time, the temperature was hovering around 27.5 Celsius.

Does that mean the no matter how hot the temperature turns out to be, the fan will never spin up if I stick to this "Default" profile?

Why would 0 RPM fan at 27.5C (quite a low temp) mean that the fans would never spin up?

The fans will spin when they need to. It takes a bit of load ... over time ... for that to happen.

You can always change that if you want but custom fan curves have a lower limit of 40%. Only the Default/Auto has zero RPM mode.

It will probably never spin because the PSU has plenty of ventilation and will never reach half the limits the capacitors are rated for/at.

My PSU has the "default" setting and it's at 34.5C, but heck I got a lot of stuff hooked up to it, plus 6x 140mm fans, 3x 120mm and all fans are at almost below 40%, so almost inaudible.

So, don't worry if you can't adjust the setting because I doubt that your PSU will ever reach 50C because I think that's when the fan starts to spin.

Thanks for your reply Nazqul.

Are you saying that your PSU temperature was 34.5C and the fan isn't spinning? I want to be sure about that.

The default profile is hidden in iCUE and is unalterable, however you should be able to find it on the side of the box or in the product manual PDF. Most Corsair PSUs have a zero fan mode for lower temperatures and specific wattage/temperature triggers that will turn it on or increase speed. 40C is a common turn on point. Of course, you don't have to use it and can add your own profile which will be visible.

The default profile is hidden in iCUE and is unalterable, however you should be able to find it on the side of the box or in the product manual PDF. Most Corsair PSUs have a zero fan mode for lower temperatures and specific wattage/temperature triggers that will turn it on or increase speed. 40C is a common turn on point. Of course, you don't have to use it and can add your own profile which will be visible.

Hi c-attack,

Good to have your reply again.

I also notice that clicking on the default gives me nothing to change. As you said, I now understand it is hidden.

So I can just leave it as is, correct? It will spin up when the whole thing get as hot as 40C? I do not want to setup profile as I am never good at setting fan curve.

By the way, while you are here, like to ask 1 more question: are there any flat cable mod for this RM 850i PSU? The 24-pin cable is really too thick just make aesthetics look not nice.

Edited by Baba Yetu VI

will never reach half the limits the capacitors are rated for/at.

RGBs.. when you have a 'lot' regardless of PSU temp.. that fan will spin.. if i have all my fans (32 LL fans) brightness set to 100% my fan spins (RM1000i). i have guys in my discord server that are having their AX1600i's spin up because of load on the 5v rail (and some are running a smaller amount like your self)... times are changing and PSU's need to catch up

to add to whats been said... that fan will spin temp (50c ish)/load dependent.. regardless of RGB i can get my fan spinning in a long gaming session. most dont notice it spinning as their other fans hide the noise along with the psu being hidden under the psu shroud.

I got a lot of stuff hooked up

start looking into loads and limits...

25a 5v rail limit on most other Corsair PSU's. 30a on the ax1600i. now start adding the power draw from all your 5v devices... which is more than just fans and strips. if its on usb.. its 5v.. inside/outside the case.. you may be surprised how close to that limit you are.

Edited by Zotty