Corsair Community

Will new 12-Pin GPU adapter work with older HX850

AtomicAMD

That PSU uses Type 3 cables.

But it's also over 10 years old, so if you're going to buy a high end, bleeding edge graphics card, why use a 10+ year old PSU?+

Why not? It works perfectly fine and is going to provide the power it needs right? What is its age going to change on how the GPU performs?

Type 3 is compatible then, correct?

• Corsair Employee
Why not? It works perfectly fine and is going to provide the power it needs right? What is its age going to change on how the GPU performs?

Type 3 is compatible then, correct?

As power supplies age, the output quality is not as good. After about 10 years, the capacitor's capacitance decreases and the ESR increases. This prohibits the PSU's ability to properly filter ripple and this can slowly kill components being powered.

Just because it's outputting power, doesn't mean it's doing it at the performance level it was 10 years ago.

This is why many people recap older components.

As power supplies age, the output quality is not as good. After about 10 years, the capacitor's capacitance decreases and the ESR increases. This prohibits the PSU's ability to properly filter ripple and this can slowly kill components being powered.

Just because it's outputting power, doesn't mean it's doing it at the performance level it was 10 years ago.

This is why many people recap older components.

So what do you recommend. Just getting rid of it? Anyway to test it's performance? Also, are the cables compatible?

• Corsair Employee
So what do you recommend. Just getting rid of it? Anyway to test it's performance? Also, are the cables compatible?

That PSU uses type 3 cables. Which is the same as Type 4 other than the 24-pin, which doesn't matter in your case because the 24-pin is fixed.

There's really no way to test the PSU without some expensive equipment. You essentially need a $5000+ load tester and an oscilliscope.

My general rule of thumb is: If it's been in service for 12 years, it's done. If the fan dies first, it's done. If it's been sitting in storage for 5 years, it's done.

Unless, of course, you are willing to crack it open and recap it. :D

That PSU uses type 3 cables. Which is the same as Type 4 other than the 24-pin, which doesn't matter in your case because the 24-pin is fixed.

There's really no way to test the PSU without some expensive equipment. You essentially need a $5000+ load tester and an oscilliscope.

My general rule of thumb is: If it's been in service for 12 years, it's done. If the fan dies first, it's done. If it's been sitting in storage for 5 years, it's done.

Unless, of course, you are willing to crack it open and recap it. :D

I'm assuming the new cable would work with this PSU then. Hard to get a direct answer from you ha.

I bought the PSU in 2012 and has been used daily since then. So eight years. As a side note, I did have a 980ti blow a cap and die while being used with this PSU. I'm not sure if that incident could be because of the PSU or that the GPU was a lemon. I've been using a RTX2060 after that incident and there hasn't been any problems. Thoughts on if that could have been PSU related?

Just curious, why the 5 years in storage rule? Thanks.

• Corsair Employee
I'm assuming the new cable would work with this PSU then. Hard to get a direct answer from you ha.

I bought the PSU in 2012 and has been used daily since then. So eight years. As a side note, I did have a 980ti blow a cap and die while being used with this PSU. I'm not sure if that incident could be because of the PSU or that the GPU was a lemon. I've been using a RTX2060 after that incident and there hasn't been any problems. Thoughts on if that could have been PSU related?

Just curious, why the 5 years in storage rule? Thanks.

Sorry. I thought I was answering your question. All of the current Corsair PSU's use Type 3/Type 4 connectors on the PSU side and the 12-pin adapter cable plugs into those connectors. Therefore, the adapter cable would work on your PSU as well.

The 5 years in storage comes from the fact that capacitors in storage degrade faster when in storage without a charge than when they're actually in use.

https://passive-components.eu/get-the-lowdown-on-shelf-life-and-storage-of-capacitors/#:~:text=Today's%20aluminum%20electrolytic%20capacitors%20have,oxide%20film%20and%20the%20electrolyte.

This article says two years, but come on... .two years!?!? :(

Edited by jonnyguru

Sorry. I thought I was answering your question. All of the current Corsair PSU's use Type 3/Type 4 connectors on the PSU side and the 12-pin adapter cable plugs into those connectors. Therefore, the adapter cable would work on your PSU as well.

The 5 years in storage comes from the fact that capacitors in storage degrade faster when in storage without a charge than when they're actually in use.

https://passive-components.eu/get-the-lowdown-on-shelf-life-and-storage-of-capacitors/#:~:text=Today's%20aluminum%20electrolytic%20capacitors%20have,oxide%20film%20and%20the%20electrolyte.

This article says two years, but come on... .two years!?!? :(

Thanks. Any thoughts on if the PSU played a role in the death of that 980ti? Again, no other problems and that was a few years ago.

With it being only 8 years old, would you recommend still replacing?

• Corsair Employee
Thanks. Any thoughts on if the PSU played a role in the death of that 980ti? Again, no other problems and that was a few years ago.

With it being only 8 years old, would you recommend still replacing?

If it's only 8 years old, it might be fine.

Hard to say if the PSU caused the graphics card failure. The thing with ripple that gets through the PSU, that means components down stream have to filter it and components like motherboards, graphics cards, etc. don't tend to have as robust components for such filtering as the PSU itself.