Corsair Community

Corsairs Obsidian 500D SE Setup Advice and Diagrams

Zotty

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, hopefully a quick question (I think I know the answer, but want to be sure.)

I just bought the 500D SE (has 3x LL120 fans), a single LL120 fan (for the back) and the H100i Platinum (comes with 2x ML120 fans for the radiator).

I was going to mount the radiator to the top two LL120 fans on the front so that I could keep the front three intake fan types consistent (3x LL120). I was then going to mount the 2x ML120 fans to the top of the case as exhaust.

However, having read multiple times that the ML and LL fans do not play nice on the Commander Pro and wanting to keep 3x LL120 as front intake I guess I will have to either mount the H100i radiator to the top with the ML120's or buy two more LL120's to go with my original plan.

At least for now to get this system up and running, I presume the image below (minus the light strips) is what I will need to do (given the only perceivable difference between the H115i and H110i is the size of the fans)?

http://i.imgur.com/ICBYkWk.png

If, however, I do go the route of buying two more LL120 fans, would my original plan work of connecting all 6 fans to the Commander Pro and mounting the radiator to the top two fans on the front of the case?

This would result in something similar to the image below (without light strips) except for using the H100i instead of the H150i (where I think the only difference is the radiator size is made for 3x 120 fans vs 2x 120 fans)?

http://i.imgur.com/veQagHe.png

Also, general question - is there any concern for having the fans connected to the Commander Pro instead of directly connected to the H100i pump? If you connect the fans and RGB to the Commander Pro, what do you do with the connections from the pump - just leave them empty and hang in the back?

Edit: One more question as well. The USB from the Commander Pro connects to the internal USB pins in the motherboard and the AIO USB is going into the first USB slot on the Commander Pro. What is the USB line running from the PSU to the second USB slot on the Commander Pro in these images?

Thanks for any help and you have great guides!

Edited by Alenarne

Hi bud.. quick reply as i am about to head out to work,,,,

First.. imho. run the fans on the Rad from the pump.. this ensures correct operation of your cooling system regardless of software.

you would be fine running the RGB from the Commander Pro though.

The usb cable from the 'i' series PSU allows you to control the PSU's fan and monitor its stats in icue..

and yes either diagram will do what you need with which ever of those to plans you go with..

hope i covered what you needed to know dude

Hi bud.. quick reply as i am about to head out to work,,,,

First.. imho. run the fans on the Rad from the pump.. this ensures correct operation of your cooling system regardless of software.

you would be fine running the RGB from the Commander Pro though.

The usb cable from the 'i' series PSU allows you to control the PSU's fan and monitor its stats in icue..

and yes either diagram will do what you need with which ever of those to plans you go with..

hope i covered what you needed to know dude

Perfect - thanks! I only have the Corsair HX850 not the HX850i, so this makes sense as to why I wasn't following the illustration.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond and write all of this up across the forums - very good information!

• 2 months later...
Hi everyone, my 500d se rgb arrived yesterday and I'm having great difficulty accomodating a third SSD. Does anyone know how to remove the commander pro which is taking up the third SSD slot please? It's had me stressed out all night.

Thanks zotty for the quick response. I can't help but think that's it's a big mistake by Corsair to assume that most of us will only want to install only 2 2.5" inch ssds. Don't know my they had to stick it down instead of making a magnetic place holder that could have moved around. Can anyone suggest a suitable alternative place to put the commander pro?

• 2 weeks later...

[ame]

[/ame]

Guys this is a link to a video of my build. I'm having some serious issues with fan lighting both with the se' front fans and the h115 platinum. Could you guys please watch the video and give me some advice please? Thanks

Is there a diagram example that I'm missing somewhere on adding on to the 500D SE setup with 6 LL fans and 4 Pro Lighting LED strips with the Hydro X Pump and CPU/GPU blocks? Apologies if there is and I'm missing it, but I've looked around a lot and can't seem to find one.

How I have it setup right now, I'm not sure if it's good or not. One of the fans is hooked up to the motherboard for power (was going to do a splitter, but read the mb should be fine?).

Hi buddy.. I can sort a diagram when i get home from work. but you need 3 LED Channels for what you plan... Commander Pro and Node Pro....

my RGB Faq

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

my Hydro X Faq

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=188181&t=188181

That'd be awesome & GREATLY APPRECIATED - thx! I looked through all your stuff, why I wasn't sure if I had missed an example of the 2 being combined and I think I have it worked out properly using as you say. I also opted to get a splitter for that last fan instead of powering it off of my motherboard.

I went ahead and have it all hooked up and started my leak test tonight. The 3 fans that came with the case and had a profile setup are doing their own thing, while the pump and cpu block are going rainbow-tastic, but the 2 other fans are just spinning and no colors. Not sure if it's because I messed something up or because they haven't been setup with a proper boot - I'm leaning more towards the latter. Then again, would think that would be the same case with the pump/tank and cpu block, so I'm at a loss. Third fan isn't doing nothing at all since it's connected to the board as suspected. But would be reassuring to know that I did set it up how it should be before I get the LED strips tomorrow and actually boot it up for the first time since adding all the new stuffs.

Edited by kayanite

those 2 fans prob need adding in iCUE dude.. i assume they are plugged into same RGB Fan LED Hub as the 3 working fans?

Yeah, they are. I went back and checked them after I realized during that post that the Hydro X stuff was doing rainbow and that maybe they should be as well at least. Didn't appear to be anything wrong, so I'm still leaning/hoping that's it. Still a couple hours away before I hook it back up and boot to know for sure, so guess I shall see!

So going off the top of my head as I'm at work and not as fancy as your diagrams, but this is how I have it setup/plan to...

RGB Hub = 6 LL120 RGB fans

Hub > Commander Pro LED#1

#1-5 LL120 Fans > Commander Pro #1-5 slot

#6 LL120 Fan > Motherboard (but will be piggy backing current #4/5 off of one another to #4 and #6 will go in #5.

Pump > Commander Pro #6 slot

Pump RGB > L Node Pro > Mboard

CPU Block > Piggy backing off of Pump

LED Strip Pro > L Node Pro#2 or Commander Pro#2

Does that look right/make sense?

yep spot on, that works buddy. I would run the Hydro X RGB from the Commander Pro LED channel 2 and run the strips from the Node Pro my self..

still not home so not had chance to knock up a diagram. but by looks of it. you have the theory sorted :)

Edited by Zotty

to add.. you could run that 6th fan on a PWM 'y' splitter on the commander pro... couple of rules involved to play safe.. no more than 9 fans in total and never any more than 2 on a header. i personally wont go over 8. and have done and still running fine to this day.

covers this in more detail in my faq.. Commander Pro Specs and the 'Some basic questions answered' section