Corsair Community

[Guide] How to Sync iCue w/ Gigabyte's RGB Fusion via game/process

solarity

Edit: Due to some issues with Gigabyte, I am holding off on development of this, until some issues are resolved. I took down the latest release for this reason.

I was always pleased with CUE and super excited when iCUE was released. I had higher expectations when I got my Z370 Gaming 7 as it had lots of RGB as well as headers, though the software fell a bit short of my expectations. This is after playing with something a lot more mature like CUE. I know Corsair will be working on this type of functionality, though I don't know how long it will take them and how extensive the functionality will be. Though maybe they might find this useful for them.

One of my favorite features of iCUE is the ability to have computer cosplay with RGB, for the game I am playing. I wanted my PC to display certain colors and effects when I play Overwatch and Farcry5. As Gigabyte's Z370 Gaming 7 is loaded with RGB and I have devices attached to it's header, it was really important to have the color and some effects match, else it would look out of place or I would have to disable some lighting.

Both iCUE and my tool "sync" via a running process. My tool does not communicate directly with iCUE, though iCUE and my tool both share the same trigger, which is a running process. My tool does not require RGB Fusion to be installed, though RGB Fusion is the only GUI that allows for modification/creation of XML profiles. A profile is saved as the <processName>.XML, my tool runs on windows starts. On load it scans a specified profile directory for XML files. If the name of the XML file matches a running process it parses in the XML and uses a command line tool to set the colors and effects for the different zones. When I load Farcry5, my motherboard switches to a Red, White, & Blue theme that has static colors, with pulsing red RAM slots. The tool loads the profile for the game and it stays that way, until the game is quit. When you boot up windows or are not in a game the profile is set to the default.xml.

This tool was tested on two machines with the Z370 Gaming 7. We haven't tested with any other motherboard. It works well and I don't have to think about it, once I have my profiles setup and the tool installed. My tool uses another open source command line tool that someone developed with Gigabyte's SDK. All my tool is monitor processes, parses in XML, and creates a command line to be executed. As it is currently in it's "beta stage", I haven't made an installation package. So you will have to copy some files to the needed locations.

I would love feedback and people to report any bugs/issues. Maybe this will aid Corsair in developing something more integrated with iCUE or reduce the development time.

Instructions/Readme

Direct Download

Edited by solarity

This is a really cool idea. I have ASUS Aura but I think it might be similar in the way it uses an xml file. I'll have to check.

I would love to see iCUE integrate this kind of ability to change the colours of your RGB components connected to the motherboard using standard connectors.

This is a really cool idea. I have ASUS Aura but I think it might be similar in the way it uses an xml file. I'll have to check.

I would love to see iCUE integrate this kind of ability to change the colours of your RGB components connected to the motherboard using standard connectors.

I know there is a project called RGB.NET by DarthAffe for Asus. This was the best way I could get the integration I wanted. They might do this at some point as their SDK is out for the motherboards, though I am sure they are focusing on bug fixes and supporting their own devices, before they move to 3rd party support.

Would love to see more people try my tool.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry I took it down as Gigabyte has changed a lot in their SDK and there are a lot of bugs. Also we are not getting support or engagement from Gigabyte. We are finding out the hard way that some RGB Fusion devices are not compatible with the Fusion SDK. There is also a security vulnerability in RGB Fusion and/or App Center.

Instead of spending a lot of time trying to help people get something to work that is built on top of a poor foundation, I decided to pull it. You could try this one out, if you dare: https://github.com/windows2000bug/RGB-Fusion-Tool-PS/releases/tag/v0.31-beta

I am able to get it running on my PC, though Gigabyte has so many devices. I pretty much just set it to a static color or turn it off and rely just on iCUE. Corsair's engagement is one of the reasons I became a beta tester for them. It is nice to be able to report bugs and have them fixed :)

• 2 months later...

I'm just chucking this in, but couldn't you (Or some, God knows I'm not qualified..) run a virtual OS in the background to chunter away the Gigabyte RGB Fusion and control Gigabyte hardware separately from the OS you are using? From the same CPU? Or maybe theory is correct and it's down at the LED controller..?

:brick:

In fact I'm probably going to give it a try, I can always uninstall it, been a while since I did some interesting stuff instead of zoning out in World of Tanks or something else.

Edited by SoxmisUK
Half hearted first attempt. Looked untidy. :)