Corsair Community

Possible bad CMG4GX3M2A1600C6

jdb2

I have system with 2 kits ( 8 GB ) of CMG4GX3M2A1600C6 running at 1600MHz at 7-7-7-21. For the good part of year I've had no trouble, until recently. About a month ago I upgraded my CPU from an AMD Phenom II X4 965 to an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T. Everything was fine, for a month. Then one day I sat down in my chair and looked at the monitor and it looked like my window manager had crashed, specifically plasma-desktop. ( I run Linux ) It turns out that the filesystems on my root and boot partitions had become corrupted and the OS had remounted them read-only. So, I run Memtest86+ and lo and behold :

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb286/wqo2/20101004_002-scaled.jpg

Subsequent passes show no errors and I have been running memtest continuously since then with no errors, which is strange to say the least.

I got an RMA Case #1693770 assigned to me about a week ago but in that time I bought Eurosoft Pc-Check and they seem to be taking their sweet time on delivering the software. I want to be absolutely sure about this before I send in my $700 worth of memory.

Any thoughts?

jdb2

You may have just had a component connection issue? Many PC issues are resolved by removing the components and reseating/installing them as oxidation of contacts occurs over time, which on low voltage (RAM/CPUs, etc.), components can cause intermittent connections.

Running memory that hasn't been tested together is never recommended. If each stick / kit passes MemTest86+ v4.10 at their rated specs it's highly doubtful it's the memory. If you want to run all 4 sticks together you could try dropping the speed a notch.

Running memory that hasn't been tested together is never recommended. If each stick / kit passes MemTest86+ v4.10 at their rated specs it's highly doubtful it's the memory. If you want to run all 4 sticks together you could try dropping the speed a notch.

The default latency is 6-6-6-18. I had to up that to 7-7-7-21 to get it to work with all four sticks and it had been running at those latencies for 3/4 of a year with no problems.

jdb2

• Corsair Employee

Set the memory frequency at DDR1333 and see if you still get the errors, if not that is the issue the CPU you have is rated at DDR1333.

If you do still get errors use the link on the left and request an RMA.

And you should be testing the modules one set at a time, as Wired suggested mixing sets is not supported.

Set the memory frequency at DDR1333 and see if you still get the errors, if not that is the issue the CPU you have is rated at DDR1333.

May I remind you that this memory is specifically designed to run at 1600MHz on Phenom II systems and has even been tested in my motherboard :

Product Description

*** NEW! *** Ultra-low latency 4GB DOMINATOR GT kit optimized for Phenom-based DDR3 systems. 1600MHz, 6-6-6-18, 1.65V.

Key Features

* Two matched 2GB modules for use in high performance Phenom-based DDR3 systems

* Ultra-low 6-6-6-18 latency

* Dominator GT with rosso corso accents

* Includes Airflow fan for increased cooling performance

Package Contents

Two 2GB memory modules tested at 1600MHz, 6-6-6-18 latency, on the Asus M4A79T. Airflow fan with two 60mm fans and DOMINATOR GT branding

System Requirements

Designed for use with performance DDR3 motherboards with two memory channels.

And here's the link to the product announcement :

http://www.corsair.com/news/press_release.aspx?id=1057719

Now, as I've said, running 2 kits with relaxed latencies has been problem free for the most part, but I don't see why I'd have to reduce the speed to 1333MHz especially with the 1090T's improved memory controller. Still, I'll run at a reduced speed and check for errors. But, that raises a question, if I get errors at a lower frequency then why don't I get errors when the RAM is stressed more at a higher frequency?

If you do still get errors use the link on the left and request an RMA.

I don't get errors anymore ( at 1600MHz ) but I've already gotten an RMA.

And you should be testing the modules one set at a time, as Wired suggested mixing sets is not supported.

OK. Note taken. One at a time while testing, although all 8 gigs worked perfectly fine with relaxed latencies. Why buy a 64-bit processor if you're limited to 4 gigs of RAM? There's no point.

jdb2

AMD AM3 socket CPUs are only guaranteed to run RAM at 1333 MHz. Anything above that is a crap shoot and can vary by CPU/RAM/mobo etc. per my signature. Hardware components can electrically change when in use, over time.

With all RAM slots filled you will always need longer latencies than with just two slots filled for the memory controller to access all addresses without errors. Mixing of RAM kits is not recommended and never guaranteed. They may or may not play nice.

• Corsair Employee

jdb2

Yes that is true but only as they are sold as one set and with the CPU you have it would have to be over clocked. All AMD Phenom CPU's are rated at DDR1333 and over clocking is not always possible for one reason or another.

Not to mention you are mixing two sets so actually DDR1066 would be suggested.

And doing an RMA may not solve the issue for you is my point.

• 3 months later...

I turns out that the problem was my ASUS M4A79T Deluxe motherboard. Specifically, the memory wasn't in ASUS' QVL list for that motherboard, and hence, I guess, the stability issues. Fortunately, I'm using an ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme now and it officially supports CMG4GX3M2A1600C6 and 2 kits of it at that running at 1600MHz with 6-6-6-18 timings! :D: I've been running it in that configuration, which corresponds to the original Corsair specs ( except for the 2-kits ), for over a week while performing 16MB FFT Prime95 Torture tests in Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick 64-bit Linux. So far, it's been as stable as a rock. :) And, this is proof that it's stable if I've ever seen it as before I couldn't even get my machine to POST or boot using the above config.

jdb2

That's fine if its stable, but officially mixing two sets like this is not supported

It's officially supported by ASUS in their QVL list for the Crosshair IV Extreme, if that means anything.

and AMD CPU's only support DDR1333.

Same as above but ASUS also supports up to 8 gigs of DDR3-2000 or 4 gigs of DDR3-2133.

jdb2

No its only supported if you purchase an 8 Gig set, if you mix two 4 Gig sets then the next lower speed grade would be suggested. IE DDR1333 or DDR1066 depending on the CPU you have.

In ASUS' Crosshair IV Extreme QVL list they have Corsair CMG4GX3M2A1600C6 listed as supporting 6-6-6-18 timings at 1600Mhz *with 2-kits.*

I've attached the QVL list if you don't believe me.

jdb2

C4E_QVL.zip

The problem with that is that no one, not Corsair, not Asus, can guarantee that 2 kits will work together. Even ICs from the same silicon batch don't always work together, let alone kits with different version numbers (different ICs). It's possible, but impossible to guarantee without testing.

Archived