Corsair Community

H100i manual FW downgrade\upgrade

slamscaper

I just built a new Z97 system and chose the H100i as my CPU cooler (the GTX wasn't in stock). Anyway, at first everything was working great and I loved it. Corsair link was able to change the color of the LED logo and I was able to get it to match my green GTX 970 logo perfectly.

However, while I was in the option tabs I noticed a link to "check for updates" so I clicked on it. A box popped telling me my H100i's FW needed to be updated to 1.07, so I let it do it's thing. Sadly, during the update Corsair Link crashed while the progress bar was halfway through. At first I thought I may have bricked the unit, but after rebooting I realized everything seems to be working fine and the FW is detected as 1.07. But this is when I noticed my LED settings no longer stick after a cold boot. I can set the proper color, but after a cold boot the LED exhibits strange behavior, as in it changes to a lighter color. But when I launch Corsair Link I can see my color settings are still set correctly, but the LED color is wrong. I can get it right again if I reset all the sliders, but it will get screwed up once I shutdown (restarting is fine though).

My guess is the FW update screwed this up. I noticed that the Corsair Link software no longer has an option to manually flash FW. How can I reset the 1.07 FW, or downgrade to the 1.05 FW which worked fine? I'm pulling my hair out here and I'm tired of uninstalling\reinstalling Corsair Link and drivers with no resolve. This is ridiculous.

EDIT* I have already tried switching USB headers on my MOBO and disabling legacy USB support. I tried just about everything except downgrading the FW or reflashing the FW.

I rolled back to version 2.4.5110 and firmware 1.05 and have all temps and fan speeds back, even both of my gpu's are showing. Rolling back the firmware didn't fix the blue led so I gather it's shot.

Funny you say that because I did the same exact thing. I just kept installing older versions of Corsair Link until I had the option to manually flash the FW back to 1.05. Now my LED settings stick as they should. It was a major PITA to fix this issue by troubleshooting it directly, but my first round of internet searches turned up nothing that helped. I kept reading posts from Corsair employees that stated you could update FW manually through Corsair Link, but obviously that wasn't the case anymore.

I'm a bit peeved with this whole experience. Removing the ability to manually flash FW shows a lack of trust in your software. My guess is that units were being bricked left and right from bad flashes, which I doubt came down to user error in most cases. Anyway, I hope for a fix soon because I would like to update the H100i to the latest 1.07 FW and still have the LED work correctly. What's strange is that the people who bought the H100i with the 1.07 already installed don't seem to have this issue.

• 1 month later...
Curious if any progress is being made to fix this bug? Perhaps the next version of Corsair Link will allow one to flash from 1.05 to 1.07 without causing this issues with the LED. Would be nice if it worked as it should. Clearly it's something with the flashing process that's going wrong, which I'm sure is the reason the ability to manually flash FW was removed altogether. If Windows itself is causing the issue, perhaps creating a bootable .iso for updating the FW would be the answer? Wouldn't be the most user friendly solution, but at least most power users could update without any issues.

Archived