Corsair Community

RMx Series RM550x: Broken or not enough power?

C-X

Hi!

I'm building a new PC with an RMx Series RM550x power supply.

If I don't plug in the cables for the CPU and GPU the pc kinda starts, at least all the fans and LEDs are on. But when i connect all the cables i can hear a "click" when I press the power button but nothing happens.

The PC started one time with alle the cables plugged in, but went off again shorty after I put two connector for the keyboard and the mouse in the usb port.

My Components are:

- MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WIFI

- AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

- Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER AMP Extreme 8GB GDDR6

Is my power supply broken or does it not have enough power?

My guess here........not enough power. If I were you, I'd get an 850W just to be on the safe side and I think nVidia site states that for a 2070S you'd need a 650W PSU.

I use 500-550W PSU when I building a super budget PC, with a video card that usually won't require the 8pin connector and it's either a Quad-Core or Dual-Core system.

Edited by Nazgul

I changed the PSU to 650W, but it's still the same. As long as the CPU is connected to the PSU the System won't start. Even if I disconnect the GPU. I can't imagine that the CPU alone needs more the 650W. Any idea what might be the problem?

I changed the PSU to 650W, but it's still the same. As long as the CPU is connected to the PSU the System won't start. Even if I disconnect the GPU. I can't imagine that the CPU alone needs more the 650W. Any idea what might be the problem?

You might be improperly using a PCIe cable instead of the EPS12V cable for the CPU power.