Corsair Community

Vs650 rtx 3080

JLocky

I current have a VS650 with a Ryzen 5 3600.

This is a fully wired PSU with 2 x 6+2 pin PCIE connectors. From my understanding each 6+2 should be able to provide up to 150W and the PCIE slot itself up to 75W.

However I've been told that this PSU wont power an RTX 3080 because it's a single PCIE power cable with a splitter and wont actually be able to provide the full 150W each and doing so could cause it to melt/break everything it's powering.

Can anyone give any advice please?

Thanks,

Never cut corners on a PSU, you entire rig depends on it.

I use a Corsair HX1000i which delivers plenty of power for all components in my rig. My PSU is a higher quality model which is desirable for using elite graphics cards etc.

A cheap bronze PSU is a waste of money. Better PSUs are available world wide.

Yea unfortunately PSU seem to be in high demand, lots of out of stock or double the normal price. It's just a bit of an unexpected expense but I'll make sure I go with Corsair/EVGA etc

I'd not heard of Kolink either but from what you guys said and looking at reviews they seem to be a bit of an unknown brand which I'll avoid.

Thanks for the input!

Yea unfortunately PSU seem to be in high demand, lots of out of stock or double the normal price. It's just a bit of an unexpected expense but I'll make sure I go with Corsair/EVGA etc

I'd not heard of Kolink either but from what you guys said and looking at reviews they seem to be a bit of an unknown brand which I'll avoid.

Thanks for the input!

A lot of people will be upgrading to 750W + for the new 3080 series, so it doesn't surprise me there is a shortage.

Kolink are a good cheap brand but honestly I would not go there! Better to wait than subject your expensive system to a cheap PSU.

• Corsair Employee

Thanks for the input!

PSU's *shouldn't be* double the price. I mean... a PSU that's up to par for the job would probably be double the price of what you think a PSU should go for. You get what you pay for.

That said, PSUs are in short supply/high demand. So there IS some price gouging going on. Like, if you buy from Newegg or Amazon, make sure the seller IS Newegg or Amazon and not some third party.

If you're ever in doubt about a price and that someone might be price gouging, double check with the manufacturer's website. For example: RM750x is on Corsair.com for $134.99: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020179-NA

That means, if it's in stock at Corsair, you can buy it for that. And if it's in stock at Newegg, Amazon, etc. it should be that price or often (in better non-COVID times, considerably less.) If it's more, it's price gouging.

And to be fair, same is true with EVGA. They have MSRP on their site and many times you can buy direct from there as well.

Hope this helps.

• Corsair Employee

The latest PSU with a RGB fan is 80 plus bronze instead of a better grade of PSU.

FYI: Bronze is an efficiency level, not a "grade". Some people mistake the "metal" levels as levels of quality.

As for supply chain, there's not much Corsair can do about that. If more people are buying the product, that's good, but that means there's less to go around. Factories only have so much capacity.

It doesn't behoove Corsair one bit to intentionally hold back product. It's not like "the Disney Vault". :D: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Vault