Corsair Community

HX1000i PSU

bsanders03

So how is the system specs controlled without it going thru the commander pro if I just plug it into the motherboard?

iCUE still sees it. The CoPro has nothing to do with the USB connection.

In fact, you only require iCUE to set up the fan profile, then you can ditch iCUE and use AIDA64 / HWinfo to monitor the PSU. Same concept applies to the AIOs.

Note that there seems to be a common misconception here that a CoPro is mandatory for connecting and monitoring Corsair PSUs, fans and AIOs. This is simply not true! Although, the CoPro might be seen as a convenient hub for such things, it could also be considered as a very expensive single point of failure (£50-£80), especially on mobos that have plenty of fan and RGB headers.

Edited by Yemble

So iCue will recognize the HX1000i PSU when connected into the motherboard via the USB 2.0?

I just figured iCue was one place to see everything, such as the RGB of my fans, and memory, and RGB strips. Along with the fans

Is AIDA64 / HWinfo better to use for all of this?

So iCue will recognize the HX1000i PSU when connected into the motherboard via the USB 2.0?

I just figured iCue was one place to see everything, such as the RGB of my fans, and memory, and RGB strips. Along with the fans

Is AIDA64 / HWinfo better to use for all of this?

Yes and yes.

I actually use an internal USB splitter to connect both my HX850i and H115i devices to a single USB 2.0 mobo header (standard dual-port) .

My entire system is monitored with Aida64 and HWinfo. Although I do have iCue installed for the sole purpose of setting fan and coolant profiles, I do not load it during Windows 10 boot.

Edited by Yemble

Nice. Do you have a link to the splitter you used by chance?

There are a number of ways to do this, of which I have successfully tried two...

1) Passive splitter

This...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-USB-3-0-Splitter-Adapter-USB-Type-A-Female-to-20-Pin-Motherboard-Header/283610197504?hash=item42087c2e00:g:uH0AAOSwipFdd5XV

...and this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/prettyia-USB-3-0-20-pin-Header-Male-to-USB-2-0-9pin-Female-Splitter-Cable/283400219643?hash=item41fbf82bfb:g:4EMAAOSwRiFcc76d

Then connect to the Corsair devices with two standard short USB phone cables (note the two different plug sockets on the Corsair devices!). In my case (Fractal Define R6) this tucks away neatly behind/below the mobo. Search "20 pin usb splitter" in eBay.

2) Active splitter

This...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-Case-Internal-USB-2-0-9-Pin-Male-1-To-4-Female-Splitter-PCB-Chipset-Extender/383056297372?epid=0&hash=item592fef3d9c:g:fRUAAOSwMoVdMCW1

Then connect to the Corsair devices using the Corsair supplied internal USB cables. Again, in my case, this tucks away neatly behind/below the mobo. Search "internal usb splitter" in eBay.

I started with an active splitter, however, I managed to break it performing multiple power cycles when trying to repair a corrupted mobo BIOS :roll: Up to that point it had performed flawlessly!

I then switched to a passive splitter using some parts and cables that I had lying around from a previous build, which I had forgotten about! As this is an unbreakable solution, I have stuck with it :biggrin:

If I was doing it again, I'd probably consider this, as an alternative to the passive splitter plug... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kingwin-2-Port-USB-3-0-Splitter-Adapter-Type-A-Female-to-20-Pin-Motherboard/113233830245?epid=1440531234&hash=item1a5d432165:g:W64AAOSwhZ5bj1W2

Edited by Yemble

There are two other methods available:

1. Use one of the rear I/O USB 2.0 ports via a USB 2.0 to micro-USB cable and route it back into the case for the PSU's USB LINK connection. Now you should have a free internal USB 2.0 header available for the CLC.
  2. I would only recommend this method if you are really squeezed for space in your case or are wanting to do things on the cheap and are comfortable with modifying cables.
    The motherboard header supports 2 x USB 2.0 connections and you have two devices (PSU & CLC) to hook up. If you look at the end of the USB cables for these devices, you'll see that only half of the pins being used. With a safety pin (or similar), you can extract the wired pins from the plug of one of the Corsair USB cables and then insert them into the second devices USB plug (in the spare spaces of the plug). The pin placement is exactly the same layout so use the existing wires as a template.

• 3 weeks later...