Corsair Community

Scythe Glide Stream PWM fans compatible with CorsairLink?

WebMaximus

I'm thinking of replacing my current Scythe GT 1850 fans I'm using on my H100i and also as exhaust in the rear of my 650D case with a pair of Scythe Glide Stream 120mm PWM fans (available in 1300 and 1900 RPM versions) and a Scythe Glide Stream 140mm for my rear exhaust (hoping it would fit since it has 120mm mounting holes).

Does anyone know if these Scythe Glide Stream PWM fans are fully compatible with Corsair Link, ie that you'll be able to fully control their speed from the software and also if I would be able to mount a 140mm fan at the rear of my 650D case when it comes with 120mm mounting holes?

No data on compatibility with CL2 and the H100i, so I'll leave that to others who have tried them in that combination. As far as the 140 on the rear, there's more than enough room on the door side but the side adjacent to the backplane I/O panel looks like it'll be tight. The box is running a render right now, or I'd do a more accurate measurement. If it doesn't fit cleanly, it wouldn't take much trimming of the fan housing to get it in there and have enough room to vibrate on the sound insulators without hitting the case.

Additionally, I'd try mounting it as intake with the H100i as exhaust out the top:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=117122

I may get one of these for myself. Then again, if they do work with CL2, I'd opt for putting 140s on the radiator, too. Can't seem to find any static pressure data on them, though.

After doing some research I decided (at least for now) to stay with my GT 1850RPM. A bit annoying they are not PWM fans but instead I know from several years of own experience how great they perform!

As for using the rear fan as intake rather than exhaust in the right environment I'm sure that is a great idea but in my case (literally speaking ;-)) it wasn't when I tried it and I actually had higher temps.

PWM fans should be PWM fans, so I don't see why they wouldn't work (short of a fan requiring too much power from a Link channel). I got a second cable for my H80i so it's controlling the included pair of Corsair PWM fans and two Noctua PWM case fans (a 120mm and a 140mm). The Noctuas go down to about 300 rpm before they bottom out from top speeds of 1100 and 1200rpm. The Corsairs adjust down to about 550rpm. Custom rpm curves are working great on all.

The reason I went with the Noctuas was that after receiving PWM replacement fans for my H80i and switching to the 1.05 upgrade the Link system lost the ability to voltage ramp the fans in favor of PWM regulation. So my two week old 3 pin Corsair fans were now not so useful to me.

Now if only someone would sell me a PWM to voltage ramp converter for my 230mm front fan... (Sunbeam makes/made one, the Rheosmart PCI, but I haven't found it available in the US or for a decent price internationally)

Yep, that's me ;-)

One thing I'd suggest for your in-cabinet situation is to build yourself an air duct that leads from the front of the cabinet opening, along the side to the back, across the back and returns toward the front just a bit; with an end opening facing the front of the cabinet that fits the rear fan port with a little extra room to spare height/width-wise. Then mount the rear fan as pull in, and push the case back against the duct. Cool air from the front and back, hot air out the top. With positive pressure in the case and also positive pressure in the cabinet that surrounds it, due to two sources of cool air coming in, the heat-soak won't be as much of a problem.

Archived