Corsair Community

h100i Pro XT with LL120 fans cooling 3600x poorly.

bootrappa

Hello!

Got a new H100i Pro XT two days ago, installed it into my 465x case with case installed Black LL120's

Using it to replace a Hyper 212 Evo and honestly, the preformance is around the same. 70c on AIDA64, at Extreme Pump speed up to 2684rpm, with fan speed maxed to 1600rpm.

Pump coolant reads at being around 24c when running AIDA64. Cinebench goes straight to around 70c aswell.

Idle preformance is relatively decent, around 34 to 40 degrees average.

Compared to my Hyper 212 Evo however, the idles on that were higher, but the load and gaming preformance is identical, maybe even slightly lower on the Hyper 212 Evo. I love the aesthetic of the AIO but a bit concerned about the massive price different (£30 vs £109) for the same preformance.

Is there something wrong with my AIO or set up? Or is the expected performance of a H100i when paired with a 3600x

Thanks!

Make sure the cooling plate is fully seated on the processor, also make sure that the pump is plugged into either the CPU fan header on your motherboard, or if it has a dedicated AIO header, you can use that too. If the coolant is remaining cold while the processor is under load, it might be that the pump isn't doing it's job correctly.

Make sure the cooling plate is fully seated on the processor, also make sure that the pump is plugged into either the CPU fan header on your motherboard, or if it has a dedicated AIO header, you can use that too. If the coolant is remaining cold while the processor is under load, it might be that the pump isn't doing it's job correctly.

I’ve reseated the cooling header about 4 times now with fresh applications of thermal paste, from what I can gather it’s seated correctly and making full contact. The pump is plugged into the CPU fan header, wondering if it is an issue with the pump because I’ve never seen the coolant go above 24c, regardless of the CPU load. Have no baseline for normal temperatures for an AIO

You don't have a lot of watts to dissipate on a 3600x and the most likely reason you are not seeing much difference is that neither cooler is really being taxed on its side of the equation -- moving waste heat elsewhere. However, you are going to be limited in the same place we all are. The CPU design and voltage. The heat must pass through the CPU in order to reach the cooler, air or water. Your coolant is really low and H150i seems to have no difficulty getting rid of the heat you put in. The problem is really the CPU heats up more than you want on the socket side. The only cure for that is to lower the voltage, the room temperature, or use liquid nitrogen to drastically affect the same. None are practical solutions for most people.

As for a direct comparison, it's not overly unusual to see a liquid cooler at or 1-2 warmer at idle. It's not about heat dissipation because there is almost no heat to get rid of. However, the fans on a water cooling radiator usually make a bit more noise noise against the denser fins arrangement. A larger box air cooler is not so dense and the noise from the fans more diffuse. As a result, we tend to run water cooling fans a bit slower than the air fans. You could probably crank the fans up at idle to shave off 2C, but there is no reason to do so. 35 vs 37C at idle is irrelevant to health of your PC.

Where water cooling really pulls away is in larger wattage and you just don't have it with a 3600X. If you were running a piggy 10900K at 250W, there would be some very clear separation. It seems in this case both are capable of cooling your CPU. The other place you may see an advantage with the water cooling is moderate high loads for a longer duration, like gaming. You'll just have to play around a bit and see what suits you best.