Corsair Community

H115i - is this a blockage in the radiator?

Roju

So while trying to iron out some noisy case vibrations the radiator fans cause at certain RPM on my case by playing with the fan speed curve, I noticed that the CPU was actually really hot at idle and that my CPU wasn't even overclocked.. So I checked it while I was rendering out some video in Premiere and observed this hot nonsense. Clearly it has to be thermal throttling to all hell.

y4m185AUCwMOeablZtAhk1xp3D2GSPah4GJlOff1zcJD5xo6H5ERv3ArhS7r5sgwYRfb4CRxcx6qGCgK5vLgEI4qNyU-TZ77fIjLWomIZ6FOawobJvwPpbRe-vC_saiABU2AgiWrXZZXx1cFlCK4VA90dBrQ8FyXNPqatL2qhxs2cYjDIChJgreDNGX8pMbR7bOuNklqXMicwsFA8Lze3CeKQ?width=674&height=632&cropmode=none

I missed the end of the render so I'm not sure of the time difference between load end and the idle screenshot, but it can't be much more than 10mins maybe I'd guess? It basically sits around 70c at idle and then under even very light load pops up to 80c

y4mw-itEIxyyhQ4vvl6rb8Q0KSI6u6j31IS7UXbDBy_XpqRrJhfZWtgGljrSczsIQDJFINTbnx6Dan8ioA949irZZASG73fktnCh3qLRjup4cHJQcEQQhgyY6k7MADqUUw_uGT93AB2kKhHqJxCsXMYNgbnvWN2TLADWO7DFLnfeCjb4awhkGCExiP3P0lDHx3ZUpuu_IqfbfGq_4oneIFngg?width=1023&height=769&cropmode=none

- Ambient temp in the room is 21c right now.

- Radiator is mounted on top of the case

- fans mounted in push to exhaust out the top of the case

- this is my second h115i after the first one had a failed pump. When that one was still working it was WAY better than this one is and actually pushed out heat :(

The only part of the radiator that feels warm at any time (under load or at idle) was the corner closest to the input pipe, the rest all felt very cool. It's really such a small area that was warm and the air coming through it was warm as well, but the rest was no different feeling between under load and at idle temps to me and all.

I'm trying to figure out if the CPU block is just mounted badly? Has a blockage in the radiator? both? :confused:

Any help decoding what is going on would be most appreciated!

1173456511_CPUunderload.png.7849b33c8c8945af2710b8eff4ecb683.png

278544308_Coolingaftersometimeatidle.thumb.png.ebed5741f30029b9e9f06a262ccd46cc.png

2013247579_idletemps.png.b08d656c6f17d7a4904b5659fe1b7ca1.png

• 2 weeks later...

There is flow restriction somewhere. Your coolant temperature (H115i Temp) is way out of bounds. At idle most people are 4-7C above ambient and a long duration render might go +8C. If you are reaching the 50s there is a problem.

Temperature difference between the tubes is also a warning sign. 2C is about the most heat it can dump in one pass and that is an indistinguishable difference. One hot, one cold (and usually cold exhaust) spells trouble.

Unfortunately replacement is the only real solution and something you may have already been forced to do by now. You can try tapping the blocks and hoses, but if a miracle happens and blockage partially releases, whatever it was is going to come around again. Contact Corsair to RMA the cooler or go shopping — or both.