Corsair Community

RM1000i Possibly Faulty

Sid Cannon

Hello Everybody

Last October I bought an RM1000i and it's been powering my Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard and 2500K CPU fine as far as I could tell until about a week or two ago.

My system just powered down for no reason and it turns out my motherboard and CPU have died.

I went on the Asus forums and a moderator there told me he doesn't know what's happened, but you can't test a PSU properly unless it's under load.

So I have an old Asus board with an Athlon 64 CPU on it, so I used my RM1000i on that, the thinking being if that board and chip die I'm not bothered.

It fired up and I ran the default stress test with Aida 64. When I clicked on the voltages tab, the 3.3V & 5V were all over the show, and the 12V dropped like a stone for a few seconds, then went back up to 12V. I stopped the test after 4 minutes.

I then hooked up a 630W Thermaltake PSU to the same system and ran the same stress test. This time the 3.3V, 5V & 12V were as steady as a rock.

This says to me something is wrong with my RM1000i but I'm no electrical engineer.

Any thoughts please ?

Thanks in advance

Sid

I've just run the Aida 64 stress test again on that old Asus board, with the AMD CPU, using my RM1000i PSU. I only ran it for one minute and these are the voltage results that Aida 64 gave me.

3.3V - Minimum 3.313 - Maximum 12.078

5V - Minimum 3.313 - Maximum 12.078

12V - Minimum 3.328 - Maximum 12.078

From these results, because I'm not qualified to, I can't make any rock solid assumptions. But I've been told that by ATX standards the 12V rail is allowed to fluctuate by + or - 5%. So it should be between 11.4V & 12.6V, and it has been as low as 3.328V, so surely something is wrong, just saying.

From experience, these values happen when you are using aida64 or HWiNFO along with corsair link, it happens to me too, my RM750i will drop its minimum values to 3.313V even in 12V rail. Close corsair link and try to open aida64 again

• Corsair Employee

Hey Sid,

Those #s don't look right. but then again, we don't really rely on software, or even BIOS when it comes to reading voltages on rails, as they can spit out inaccurate readings at times. Best is to use a Digital Multi-Meter (DMM) - http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDFAQs&op=FAQ_Question&ndfaq_id=28

Once you have the readings and they are way off ATX spec (+/-5%), I'd suggest that you submit an RMA and get that PSU replaced.

Maybe Bam

Because I'm just testing on this old AMD build I decided to secure erase the SSD and install Windows 7 again from scratch. After doing that I installed .net 4.6.1 as admin, then the latest corsair link software as admin, then shut the machine down and attached the Corsair Link USB cable to the motherboard.

Now as long as I don't have Corsair Link running at startup, and I don't run it manually, the voltage readings from Aida 64 are fine.

I'd still love to know what killed my P8P67 Pro and 2500K.

Thank you Bam for pointing me in the right direction.

Sid

Archived