Corsair Community

Are the temps still ok

elric75

Hello,

With the return of the beautiful days (locked at home but whatever: D) I looked a little at how much the cooling of my PC performs

My config:

8086k delid

Evga 2080ti FTW3

Corsair H150i with LL fans

Case H500m 2x200 800 rpm on the front

1 LL 140 at the back.

Ambiant temperature 24 to 25c in the room

On average I am in the 37 / 38c in idle for the CPU

(I know that the idle is not important but I still find it high for the delid no?)

Coolant temperature is between 31 & 32c

And max in gaming, really max max max on the hottest core, 60c but in general more 58c.

Do you think this is good?

Thank you

That’s about right. I am running similar hardware on a 2x280mm custom loop. It was unusually warm a few days this week and my afternoon/evening room temps were 25C. I am in the same peak zone. These intermediate seasons can lead to sudden temp changes as you go from a cold 18C morning to a 25C afternoon. That’s plus 7C to everything in the PC. At 31C coolant temperature, the cpu will be 31C with the power off and voltage zero. 5-7C over that at idle is about as low as it does, especially if you are staring at a monitoring app. My 8700K Vcore almost never drops off and stays low. It is a constant cycle at idle and the cpu Temps move with it. I’m afraid this is part of the joys of Spring — warmer temperatures.

Yeah, these newer generation of CPUs don't really "turn off" at idle the way prior ones did. It is a cold morning today and the room temp is 17C and coolant temp 20C. Package temp is still fluctuating between 30-36C with 5-9% load, but the Vcore is constantly up at 1.32v. With no GPU activity, the CPU has two 280mm rads to vent heat, but that's not the issue. It's the temp at the socket where voltage is on. The voltage reads as full maximum, but if it really were being applied into the CPU I would be at my max 60C. The power management is done underneath the monitoring layer now and CPU is not as active as it seems When I look at the core temps and the package graph, you can see its just one core pinging up at a regular interval in tune with the polling rate of the monitoring app. In effect, I am making the CPU slightly warmer at idle by watching it. I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Corsair does not specify for their AIO coolers, but most manufacturers of custom or All-in-one units will list 50-60C for the liquid temp max. The rubber tubing, plastic, etc. all can take temps past boiling, so the coolant max is really related to something else.

Your coolant temperature is effectively the minimum possible baseline CPU temp. If coolant temp=32C, then the CPU is also 32C with zero voltage. As soon as you apply voltage, the CPU temp will of course go up. If you start a linear 100% CPU test like the bench test in CPU-Z or any Linpack type test, you will get this instant increase in CPU temp when it starts. If will hold steady for 10-15 seconds before coolant starts to increase. If you look at the CPU temp and compare it to the coolant temp, you have what I usually refer to as the CPU/Coolant differential. This tells you the maximum coolant temp you can sustain before the CPU hits your (or Intel/AMD's) limit.

For example, I am at 30C coolant and I initiate the test and the CPU temp instantly 65C. That makes my differential +35C. My safe limit is 80C on the CPU temp, so I know I can take up to 45C coolant before I hit my limit. Most overclocked CPUs will have a CPU/Coolant differential of +35-50C. It is very CPU and voltage dependent. Older CPUs from a few years ago that were not tuned up out of the box may have really small differentials. I was looking at old data yesterday and my 5930K was only +15C at stock settings. Regardless, you are not worried about material failure at any of these temperatures.

The one exception to that is in the past there have been people who had an AIO failure of some type (unplugged, BIOS voltage too low to start, etc) and they ended up with really high 60-90C coolant temperatures for an extended time (days/weeks). In that specific instance, I would be a bit worried about the state of adhesives and other things that hold it all together. Obviously, this is a pretty rare occurrence and not really what you are concerned about. 36C is pretty normal and most users will hit that in any warm part of the year. Don't forget, the entire curve system has a base of 20-23C room temp. If you room is above that, then your temps will be higher on the curve. This is why I suggest most people make a curve for their environment. You can copy the presets in the curve menu using the shape tools, then drag/move each point up 4C (or whatever) to adjust it for your space. This also keeps you off that 40C=100% fan mark that doesn't really matter if you started off at 33C.

Edited by c-attack

Oh ok so if i put a lower fan profile and get 36c max in game it's all good?

My cooland is usually around 28c at startup and then sits around 30 to 32 depending on the ambiant temp.

I was just surprised by people telling me it's absolutely not normal that my cpu idles at 37/38c while delidded and with 24/36 ambiant and that It should be around 30 to 32c and not more. Someone who has kinda same rig with 8700k and living in a hot zone in florida was getting 30c for instance

For the fan profile

For the AIO fans i have this with LL 120 so 1500rpm i think

https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=20/17/w56t.jpg

they go at 100% at 36c but is it really usefull to go at max speed?

Edited by elric75

A +4C rise in coolant from cold boot to warm idle is completely normal. You don't really get under that mark unless you are running an open case or something like my 740 with wall to wall fans.

The only way to make the CPU idle temps sit on the coolant temperature is to tranquilize it with heavy C-states and thus reduce the voltage to lowest possible levels. That has clear ramifications and can make things feel sluggish or cause clocks to sit down during mixed load stuff like gaming. Most people will not want to do that unless they are setting up a server or something that is on 24/7 for low level stuff.

My delid 8700K never sits still. Right now I have been going through emails for about an hour. Coolant temp is +4C over ambient at 24C. My resting cores are at 30C and the active one is jumping through the 30s. That +6C idle core temp over coolant is the same as yours. This is normal. I can get my old X99 CPUs to sit right at the coolant, but that is a different CPU from a different era. No Coffee Lake CPU will idle at room temp. Not everyone is exacting with their temperature and measurements and there are a lot of variables. Your data seems to match mine exactly and I have a custom loop with dual 360 radiators. This is as good as it gets.

You can do whatever you like with the fans. Remember +1C coolant only equals +1C CPU temp. So going from a reasonably quiet 1100 rpm to 1500 in order to save 2-3C on the CPU temp may not be a good trade, unless you are right at your limit. My general advice is bench test with a high fixed fan rate. The rest of the time, keep the fans comfortable. If they seem loud, turn it down 200 rpm and see what it does to temps. 120mm fans starting getting productive around 1000 rpm and the sweet spot is about 1300. 1500 rpm offers more cooling, but maybe only by 1C. That is something you will have to test for your set-up or perhaps you don't notice the noise difference at all and can run whatever you like.