Corsair Community

RM 750i - Possible coil whine

gothicaholic

So I had this computer for a little over a year and a half now and since last month my GPU (Asus GTX 1070 DUAL OC from the factory) developed this sound when the PSU outputs more than 200 Watts more or less.

I tried another GPU which is less powerful (an old ASUS 960 4GB which gets fed by a 6 pin connector instead of 8) the sound was less harsh but was there, I dont have another PSU to test, Should I be worried or is it just normal coil whine? Must note that everything works fine, I havent noticed any performance dips in GPU or any other component.

Video: [ame]

[/ame] Edited by gothicaholic

That's coil whine alright. My CX850M does it too - see my video: [ame]

[/ame]

So I RMA'd it and got back another CX850M that whines just as badly. So I cut my losses, went back to my old power supply and stuck the Corsair in a computer I don't have to sit next to.

That's coil whine alright. My CX850M does it too - see my video:

So I RMA'd it and got back another CX850M that whines just as badly. So I cut my losses, went back to my old power supply and stuck the Corsair in a computer I don't have to sit next to.

That sound bothers me quite a lot, Probably will buy a new PSU and rma this one to get a fresh one to stick it into different pc.

but the difference from you, is that my GPU whines and my PSU is completely silent.

• 2 weeks later...
the noise is usually due to a bad power bar, get a new one with filters on it and the noise levels should be better

It is not the power strip, I tried 2 different ones and I tried plugging the pc in my first floor to eliminate bad wiring in the walls even though they are completely fine and fresh.

The whining is coming from my GPU, PSU is completely silent.

also noticed that there is a tiny ripple on my 5v rail - it keeps changing from 5 to 5.1, is it normal that it constantly changes? and my 12v is stuck at 12.1.

I am ordering a new RM850x tomorrow anyways.

Edited by gothicaholic

• 2 months later...