Corsair Community

Corsair One Elite CPU upgrade?

dylanh

I recently purchased a Corsair One Elite, running the 8700K.

I have also had an offer for a very very reasonably priced 9700K, so reasonably priced that I would be able to sell the 8700K, used and be in profit so I very intrestd in possibly switching out the 8700K to the 9700K, enjoying the slight speed increase and making a bit of money in the process.

My issue is with motherboard comparability. Looking at CPU-Z it seems to show the motherboard as a 'Z370I CORSAIR ONE (MS-7B43)', which when googling comes up as the MSI Z370I Gaming Pro Carbon AC, which states it should support the 9th gen processor in question however I would like to confirm before going ahead as the board is quite obviously running custom software / bios and seems to have the top VRM heatsink removed for space saving reasons.

The bios version is 2.CA and dated as 06/25/2018. Is this a custom BIOS version for the corsair one?

Would the Motherboard be compatible with the 9700K? Or is this a board specifically modified and locked for the one CPU?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

We were successful in upgrading my 8700K to a 9700K. (8700k went bad)

I was actually blown away that it had not been locked down.

Thank you Corsair for not being total control freaks.

In turn, I also upgraded the PSU to the SF750 to be safe and leave plenty of headroom for the components. (Up from 500)

You know... the only thing I object to is the lack of owners being able to order replacement pumps/rads.

This is not cool and makes them look like Apple.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

We were successful in upgrading my 8700K to a 9700K. (8700k went bad)

I was actually blown away that it had not been locked down.

Thank you Corsair for not being total control freaks.

In turn, I also upgraded the PSU to the SF750 to be safe and leave plenty of headroom for the components. (Up from 500)

You know... the only thing I object to is the lack of owners being able to order replacement pumps/rads.

This is not cool and makes them look like Apple.

What do you mean by " look like Apple"? Apple has best support in the business and Corsair is the worst support, in my opinion! It took me 1 month to get my C1 replaced when i followed advanced RMA!!!

What do you mean by " look like Apple"? Apple has best support in the business and Corsair is the worst support, in my opinion! It took me 1 month to get my C1 replaced when i followed advanced RMA!!!

Was referring more to Apple selling a static device with no upgrade path.

I agree that Corsairs service stinks!!

I requested Corsairs help and it took them 9 days to ask me to reset the CMOS. - Just forget it... I went strait to Intel for my CPU replacement.

I mean.. who do they think they are selling these Corsair One's to? This system is an enthusiast device and these tactics are just plain insulting. Its an awesome piece of tech, but if it breaks, your down a computer for over a month and treated like a number.

And lastly... Corsair will not honor their two year warranty. If it has been given, sold, or any other transfer of ownership.. kiss your warranty goodbye.

In this day and age.. Who does NOT honor the system by serial number? This was the final straw!

If your reading this Corsair, I would love to have my system serviced that has a failed 1080ti. - And yes... I have 5 total Ones in my fleet.

I would like to see Corsair step up and be Gold Standard in the PC industry/space. We all use and trust their devices!

I was blown away when I started receiving service (or should I say non-service) treatment from Corsair that I would expect from Minh Tran and their Razer Trash.

Fix this Corsair!

Edited by MavenAZ

My guess with the tech support is that the first level might be outsourced to an external 3rd party company. What I've experienced, the first reply is one or more of: incorrect, brief, not helpful, giving an impression of not caring. If you persist and ask them to escalate, you might eventually break through to a 2nd level of support (indirectly of course), which do seem to be genuine Corsair employees that have knowledge of the product and seem to care. I suppose luck and time are factors into whether you can get access to this 2nd level of support, however.

The first level of support don't have any C1s available to reproduce/test issues on their side.

Shame, really.

• 1 month later...
Question for OP, I now have the same questions as you had, it most likely has the original 1st or 2nd bios from 2018, I wanna do a build with my 9900t my question being, did you end up having to update the mobo or did the CPU work without updating bios? Any help appreciated as I have looked everywhere for a recent bios

I did an upgrade of my C1 - and after updating the bios to 2D (posted in a sticky) - neither a 9900k nor a 9900KF would boot into bios. However, the 9700k does indeed work perfectly... Overclocked nicely to 5.1ghz @ 1.34v on all 8 cores with comfortable temps (32/35C idle and <70C load). I can even get to 5.2ghz but voltage and temps are an issue - Not as stable as I would like *motherboard?* The ML140 pro is a more effective fan than the one it came with (goes to ~2000rpm).

I also changed the PSU to an SF750 platinum (inverted towards radiator) and changed drives to 2x4tb Samsung ssd combining with storage spaces (2 columns *important to utilize cache of each drive*) - Tested everything and all good.

So in the end, an effective upgrade for me because it is dead silent in normal everyday use - yet runs pretty much any game at ultra/high settings (not that I have much time anymore).

Hope that helps some.

Regards.

Edited by uoncu