Corsair Community

RM1000x fan does not spin even on load

nDelphi

About 98% of the time when I turn my computer on the fan on my RM1000x does not spin even when I put a lot of load on it. I touch the back grill and I can feel that it is hot, not hot enough for me to pull my fingers away, but just barely.

There are times when the fan spins when I turn the computer on and it will keep spinning but very weakly. I then put a load on the computer and it still spins weakly, never moving from that speed.

The computer never shuts off or seems to be unstable. Still, this is making me nervous because if the grill is hot I can only imagine how hot its components are and worry it will one day blow up and take my computer with it.

I use this computer for 3D rendering. These renders can take up to three-hours each.

My stress load tests have the CPU and the two RTX 2080s going at 100%.

I want to RMA it, but since the computer isn't shutting down I wonder if I am just being paranoid or do I have a potential problem down the line?

I live on an island in the Caribbean so I waited for the ambient temps to get to 30C/86F and ran a full load test. It took about 20-minutes into the test for the fan to start spinning.

That's a load off my mind.

I never have a need for the CPU for rendering. At this point I am guessing that the two RTX 2080s' wattage usage barely get to what the PSU needs to start spinning the fan. When rendering at full load they use about 150 to 160 watts each; I never see them get past 168 watts and that is for a second or two.