Corsair Community

Memory compatibility issue with B550 motherboards

DirtyHarry

Hi, I'm in panic mode because I bought a RAM which not Ryzen 3000 certified. It's the CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 v4.32 model. (C Die)

Now I can return this product and have about 5 days left to do it but can someone verify if this RAM kit would work properly on Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite or MSI B550 A Pro with a R5 3600 or R7 3700X. I haven't bought the motherboard yet so there's that. (X570 Aorus Elite or Asus TUF Gaming x570 would get the job done too)

We would recommend that you refer to the motherboards' memory QVLs in order to determine a compatible kit of memory for your intended motherboard.

Here is the QVL of B550 Aorus Elite but it doesn't show v4.32 anywhere but there is a listing without any version. I'm confused if it would work properly with XMP or not.

duHUQMA.jpg

IMG_20200917_225658.thumb.jpg.7abdbdcabb9d0d3eb955a2fe0cad3a1a.jpg

Edited by DirtyHarry

Hi, I'm in panic mode because I bought a RAM which not Ryzen 3000 certified. It's the CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 v4.32 model. (C Die)

Now I can return this product and have about 5 days left to do it but can someone verify if this RAM kit would work properly on Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite or MSI B550 A Pro with a R5 3600 or R7 3700X. I haven't bought the motherboard yet so there's that. (X570 Aorus Elite or Asus TUF Gaming x570 would get the job done too)

Not quite an apples to apples comparison however...I have CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 (ver 4.32, dual rank, 2 sticks, 32GB) and it works just fine with XMP on my ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax but I only think so because it's only a 2 slot board so memory compatibility will be a bit better in that case. I only mention it because it's the same version ram, same IC's so similar behavior and compatibility.

Not sure if your model is dual-rank but Zen2 CPU seems to like dual-rank just fine so I wouldn't worry about that.

On my ASRock x470 and others x570's with 4 ram slots tRC needed a bump somewhere between +2 to +8 over the XMP value in order for it to work properly as some people reported in other threads in this forum with their v4.32 kits. If I recall correctly it was some Gigabyte x570's owners were having issues with v4.32 kits that needed the adjustment in tRC. BIOS/UEFI versions can be problematic so if you go x570 use a version that has at least AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B.

I think ver4.32 is Samsung b-die according to the SPD chip but I read others sometimes say it's c-die. So far I don't know a reliable source to verify what it actually is. In Ryzen Dram Calculator I found (https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/) compatibly settings for this version ram typically matched "Samsung OEM" in older versions however these days I find it matches closer to Samsung B-die "bad bin" in newer versions of this utility. So there may be some truth to it being a b-die that is low quality.

You can use something like thaiphoon burner http://www.softnology.biz/files.html to read your rams SPD chip data and see what it says about your ram specifications.

If your not into memory tuning or OC then I would probably try to get the Ryzen certified kit instead.

Edited by A Computer Guy

Not quite an apples to apples comparison however...I have CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 (ver 4.32, dual rank, 2 sticks, 32GB) and it works just fine with XMP on my ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax but I only think so because it's only a 2 slot board so memory compatibility will be a bit better in that case. I only mention it because it's the same version ram, same IC's so similar behavior and compatibility.

Not sure if your model is dual-rank but Zen2 CPU seems to like dual-rank just fine so I wouldn't worry about that.

On my ASRock x470 and others x570's with 4 ram slots tRC needed a bump somewhere between +2 to +8 over the XMP value in order for it to work properly as some people reported in other threads in this forum with their v4.32 kits. If I recall correctly it was some Gigabyte x570's owners were having issues with v4.32 kits that needed the adjustment in tRC. BIOS/UEFI versions can be problematic so if you go x570 use a version that has at least AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B.

I think ver4.32 is Samsung b-die according to the SPD chip but I read others sometimes say it's c-die. So far I don't know a reliable source to verify what it actually is. In Ryzen Dram Calculator I found (https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/) compatibly settings for this version ram typically matched "Samsung OEM" in older versions however these days I find it matches closer to Samsung B-die "bad bin" in newer versions of this utility. So there may be some truth to it being a b-die that is low quality.

You can use something like thaiphoon burner http://www.softnology.biz/files.html to read your rams SPD chip data and see what it says about your ram specifications.

If your not into memory tuning or OC then I would probably try to get the Ryzen certified kit instead.

Thanks for the info! Actually I found a motherboard which shows the 4.32 version in the QVL, (it's the ASRock B550M Steel Legend) so it should work without hassle, right? Its the Matisse QVL btw and it's in the Renoir one too.

mvo5XKp.jpg

Edited by DirtyHarry

Thanks for the info! Actually I found a motherboard which shows the 4.32 version in the QVL, (it's the ASRock B550M Steel Legend) so it should work without hassle, right? Its the Matisse QVL btw and it's in the Renoir one too.

...trimmed image...

Well that is what the QVL is for however if you do get some trouble you have a clear avenue to get support from the motherboard vendor because they claimed to support it. For example ASRock supports ECC and even though I used some ECC modules that weren't on the QVL they sent me a beta BIOS that fixed my issues. Of course it's possible that the fix was simply a downstream update from a new AGESA bios version from AMD. So UEFI/BIOS version can be important for ram compatibility.

Thanks for the screen shot. I see ASRock is stating the kit as Samsung C-die.

Edited by A Computer Guy

Well that is what the QVL is for however if you do get some trouble you have a clear avenue to get support from the motherboard vendor because they claimed to support it. For example ASRock supports ECC and even though I used some ECC modules that weren't on the QVL they sent me a beta BIOS that fixed my issues. Of course it's possible that the fix was simply a downstream update from a new AGESA bios version from AMD. So UEFI/BIOS version can be important for ram compatibility.

Thanks for the screen shot. I see ASRock is stating the kit as Samsung C-die.

Thank you too! I guess I'm getting the B550M Steel Legend.

And regarding the C die confusion, some people are overclocking C die kits in a German Forum. They classified this specific 4.32 kit as C die.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/samsung-8gbit-ddr4-c-die-k4a8g085wc-oc-ergebnisse-im-startbeitrag-updated.1198323/page-7

Edited by DirtyHarry

Thank you too! I guess I'm getting the B550M Steel Legend.

And regarding the C die confusion, some people are overclocking C die kits in a German Forum. They classified this specific 4.32 kit as C die.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/samsung-8gbit-ddr4-c-die-k4a8g085wc-oc-ergebnisse-im-startbeitrag-updated.1198323/page-7

Interesting...I only read some pages of of the link so far but I got similar results and I can OC my kit to DDR4-3600 no problem on the B550 ITX board. Even to DDR4-3800 however at that speed memtest86 fails test 12 the 128bit random number test and I haven't figured out how to get around that which is too bad cause I know my 3800x can FCLK to 1900.

*** update ***

Thanks so much for that link. Reading a bit more in the thread starting around page 8 really paid off, so it turns out C-die can OC better at lower DRAM voltages. I retried DDR4-3733 at 1.33v and traded off 3000+ errors on memtest86 test 12 with 1 error on test 8, 1 error on test 11, and 1 error on test 12 - progress! I had just about given up trying to get anything over DDR4-3600 with my 4.32 kit but now I guess I've got a new hobby for the next few weeks.

I'd thought I'd share my preliminary results.

Corsair CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 (ver 4.32, dual rank, 2 sticks, 32GB)

(stable, XMP + some tweaks)

DRAM=1.35v, SOC=1.1v

16-18-18-36-75 1T GDM tRFC=500

DDR4-3200 93.6% https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33148460

(a little unstable, pending adjustments)

DRAM=1.33v, SOC=1.025 +(SOC-LLC=L1) >> 1.2v

20-22-22-48-68 1T GDM tRFC=630

DDR4-3733 106% https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33147352

DDR4-3800 107% https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33148103

Edited by A Computer Guy

Thanks so much for that link. Reading a bit more in the thread starting around page 8 really paid off, so it turns out C-die can OC better at lower DRAM voltages. I retried DDR4-3733 at 1.33v and traded off 3000+ errors on memtest86 test 12 with 1 error on test 8, 1 error on test 11, and 1 error on test 12 - progress! I had just about given up trying to get anything over DDR4-3600 with my 4.32 kit but now I guess I've got a new hobby for the next few weeks.

Glad I could help! After I build my PC in October I'll try to push my kit and post results. Thank you so much again!