Corsair Community

stick with these TridentZ's or get the new Dominator platinum Torque Special edition

hastegag

So I am in the somewhat unexpected position where I ordered a new build on an office credit card, but I wasn't aware we just lowered the limit on that card and because of some larger purchases, this card declined part of my order for the new system build.

So no biggie, checks going out and I will re order in a few days, but then I got this email from Corsair about this hella fanboy looking Dominator platinum DDR4 special edition 3300 and it looks like and the 32Gb isn't really any more expensive than the trident Zs I had in the cart. It also appears the latency timings are a little less on the new corsair product.

I'd like to future proof my build by buying the 16GB sticks for a total of 32 for what was only slightly more expensive than my tridentZ's from the cart, but am I better off not future proofing at first? Ie is there a quad channel benefit to having more sticks or are you usually always better off going with the larger footprint on each stick?

I was building the system below, and these two items went through (3rd party sellers):

Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow CC-9011078-WW Black Brushed Aluminum and Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

and

CPU fan Quiet Cooler Heatsink for Intel Socket 95W LGA775 LGA1150 LGA1151 LGA1155 LGA115 AMD

and these were part of the declined payment:

ASRock Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Motherboards - Intel

CORSAIR HXi Series HX850i 850W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V SLI and Crossfire Ready Power Supply with C-Link Monitoring and Control

1 x CORSAIR HXi Series HX850i 850W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V SLI and Crossfire ...

Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I77700K Desktop Processor

SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 2TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6P2T0BW I'm REAL excited about this one...:bigeyes:

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3300 (PC4 26400) Desktop Memory Model F4-3300C16Q-32GTZKW

Seagate BarraCuda Pro ST8000DM005 8TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Office is 'sending me home' with my current machine which is a GTX 960s and a 3.6Ghz quad core and 32 gb ddr3 and a couple ssds and an 8 TB HD, but based on my work needs and because I game at home, I thought I would save them some dough, so I am going to give the new build the 960s and I bought from another source a 1080Ti Fe from ASUS for my gaming box.

Basically my question is, do I take advantage of the declined order and instead of getting the trident Z ram get the new dominator platinum and if I do, am I better off getting 2 x 16 gb sticks or 4 x 8 gb sticks?

That doesn't have forty lanes? and I thought the X99 let you do like 6 cores? Plus this board has extras others don't like high quality audio and dual ethernet and 2 m.2 x4 nvme slots and solid pcie express etc. It seems like the best option.

Cores are important for my office build. Let me know if I am wrong though

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CC-Multi-Core-Performance-625/

Thank you! I was able to cancel the order and put it back through today, saved some money. Feel like an idiot, I swear I had read someplace that 2011v3 was compatible with LGA 1151, but whatever, all for the best. Went with four sticks of 8gb ddr4 (slower) but the latency is lower than most and was part of a bundle.

Went with the below:

Estimated to Ship Out On: 5/15/2017 by End of Day

1 x SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 2TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6P2T0BW

1 x Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I77700K

1 x Seagate BarraCuda Pro ST8000DM005 8TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"...

2 x CORSAIR Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Memory ....

1 x MSI Z270 GAMING M7 LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel

1 x CORSAIR HXi Series HX850i 850W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V...

1 x Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - OEM

1 x MSI Motherboard Gift - Wi-Fi/Bluetooth PCI-E Adapter (Intel 8265NGW)

1 x (-$39.99) DISCOUNT FOR AUTOADD

1 x (-$45.00) DISCOUNT FOR COMBO

Subtotal: $2,693.31

It is never recommended to mix memory kits, even when they're the same part number. I'd suggest cancelling that and purchasing one 4x8 GB kit.

Good point, could come from different stocks. It was part of a combo, so instead of cancelling it, I'll get the small discount for now, run with the 16gb, return the second kit and then order the larger single set in a couple months or whatever.

In the meantime, I may just see how it runs w/ 16 because I hardly ever get above 40% on my 32gb now and with the m2 evo acting a swap drive, it should be so much faster than anything I have ever used anyways.

Good point, could come from different stocks. It was part of a combo, so instead of cancelling it, I'll get the small discount for now, run with the 16gb, return the second kit and then order the larger single set in a couple months or whatever.

In the meantime, I may just see how it runs w/ 16 because I hardly ever get above 40% on my 32gb now and with the m2 evo acting a swap drive, it should be so much faster than anything I have ever used anyways.

Well my order got rejected a third time so...then I tried ordering a different mobo (compatible this time LOL) with no memory so I could order it later and then it got cancelled again. At this point I am buying it and filing a reimbursement bc that card isn't in love with new-egg.

Just installed by 1080ti though and its great! Weekend here we come.

So I still don't have all the parts because of how long it took to order some of the stuff in the first place, but I got the first batch today, see photo:

http://smithany.com/someoftheparts.JPG

But no mobo or processor yet, comes Tuesday and hopefully the heatsink fan as well that day but shipping USPS from China... I'll post photos of the build...I'm excited but bummed it isn't all here already. :/

I'll be spending this weekend pre-loading the 8TB hard drive and deciding what I can afford to have of the work files on the 960.

http://www.smithany.com/IMG_5839.JPG

http://www.smithany.com/IMG_5840.JPG

http://www.smithany.com/IMG_5843.JPG

http://www.smithany.com/IMG_5844.JPG

No cable management really in place yet, but I am creating media currently for the install of Win 10 Pro 64, hoping my OEM license translates in properly with the media creation tool.

left my 1080ti in for now to see about some quick benchmarks once i get the stuff installed. That 2tb NVME U.2 960 Pro is making my mouth water. Putting that in for my first time felt like I was disarming a bomb with that sticker price. Will post some screens and disk benchmarks.:sunglasse

Archived