The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 10:07 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020557
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Specifically can the Gigabyte ga z77m-d3h be overclocked? I don't know. I would assume so, but there are boards from the past that would lock you out. As far as coolers go, if the board will let you overclock, both coolers are capable of handling any increased heat/wattage.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:37 PM
fryzen's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020601
fryzen Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Specifically can the Gigabyte ga z77m-d3h be overclocked? I don't know. I would assume so, but there are boards from the past that would lock you out. As far as coolers go, if the board will let you overclock, both coolers are capable of handling any increased heat/wattage.
Good to hear. But what about fan control? Can you control the max speeds they can spin or can you only change at what speed they should be spinning at?

Old 10-09-2019, 03:45 AM
fryzen's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020753

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryzen View Post
Good to hear. But what about fan control? Can you control the max speeds they can spin or can you only change at what speed they should be spinning at?
I think I’ll be taking thr h100i pro. It’s on a discount, now costing $110, $30 more expensive. What do you think?

Old 10-09-2019, 06:10 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020761

I think the Pro is the best choice for anyone who does not hate having to run software to manage the cooler. The Pro you will manage from iCUE, although it is not strictly necessary to keep the software running for normal use.

The H100x would get its fan control from your bios fan controls. I have no idea what those are for your model, but surely it is some basic 3 point curve.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:17 AM
fryzen's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020763

Quote:
I think the Pro is the best choice for anyone who does not hate having to run software to manage the cooler. The Pro you will manage from iCUE, although it is not strictly necessary to keep the software running for normal use.

The H100x would get its fan control from your bios fan controls. I have no idea what those are for your model, but surely it is some basic 3 point curve.
Thanks for the help. I looked up some reviews of the h100i pro and it does seem a bit loud at max speed but it certainly performs well. My choice is the h100i pro mostly because of the fans and icue. Again, I appreciate your insights!

Old 10-10-2019, 04:47 AM
fryzen's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020867

I need help with one more thing. I have the p400 case which is said to have bad airflow, especially when running with AIO’s. Question id: how should i configure my cooling for optimal performance?

Old 10-10-2019, 08:16 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020873

I don't think you have a lot of options for that case. It appears to be like many of the current mid-size models with a "shallow top" that precludes top mounting the radiator. Which ever you choose, that 240mm radiator will need to be front intake. The rear fan should be exhaust. The top fans are debatable. I always lean toward exhaust in this situation to move the warmer air off the AIO out the top, along with usually even warmer air from the VRM and RAM. However, some users say they get better results with the top as intake and try to blow everything out the back. This can work if you have a lot of rear mesh. If it is mostly a solid panel, I would start with top exhaust.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:39 AM
fryzen's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020875

Quote:
I don't think you have a lot of options for that case. It appears to be like many of the current mid-size models with a "shallow top" that precludes top mounting the radiator. Which ever you choose, that 240mm radiator will need to be front intake. The rear fan should be exhaust. The top fans are debatable. I always lean toward exhaust in this situation to move the warmer air off the AIO out the top, along with usually even warmer air from the VRM and RAM. However, some users say they get better results with the top as intake and try to blow everything out the back. This can work if you have a lot of rear mesh. If it is mostly a solid panel, I would start with top exhaust.
That’s the part which sucks. I completely forgot about my case when ordering the h100i pro. Nevertheless, shall i go rear as exhaust and top as intake?

Old 10-10-2019, 08:55 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020878

I would start with top and rear exhaust, but that is my preference. The scientific model would to pick one, run for a 2 weeks, then try the other.

There are a lot of cases now with the shallow top but you shouldn't necessarily consider this a mistake. You likely get better coolant/CPU temps on the front than the top. The front rail is always going to be a couple of degrees cooler than the space above the VRM and RAM, even when at cold idle. I can see this all the time with my top/bottom radiator set-up. At idle the coolant will come off the CPU/GPU and pass through the bottom radiator, then it gets "re-heated" as it goes through the second radiator at the top. Just kind of a funny idle state, but it demonstrates the temperature differences in the case and local ambient temp is always additive to the hardware totals. +3C air in that part of the case means +3 coolant and +3 hardware.

The only monkey-wrench might be the front baffle on the case. Obviously a solid panel with openings at top/bottom is more restrictive than a straight mesh opening. Whether it has any impact on airflow through the radiator is something I can't answer without that specific case.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:20 AM
fryzen's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020884

Quote:
I would start with top and rear exhaust, but that is my preference. The scientific model would to pick one, run for a 2 weeks, then try the other.

There are a lot of cases now with the shallow top but you shouldn't necessarily consider this a mistake. You likely get better coolant/CPU temps on the front than the top. The front rail is always going to be a couple of degrees cooler than the space above the VRM and RAM, even when at cold idle. I can see this all the time with my top/bottom radiator set-up. At idle the coolant will come off the CPU/GPU and pass through the bottom radiator, then it gets "re-heated" as it goes through the second radiator at the top. Just kind of a funny idle state, but it demonstrates the temperature differences in the case and local ambient temp is always additive to the hardware totals. +3C air in that part of the case means +3 coolant and +3 hardware. The only monkey-wrench might be the front baffle on the case. Obviously a solid panel with openings at top/bottom is more restrictive than a straight mesh opening. Whether it has any impact on airflow through the radiator is something I can't answer without that specific case.

Gotcha. I will start with top and rear exhaust, and ill let it run for some time (when i get my h100i pro). But how should i mount my radiator fans? To pull the air or push?

Old 10-10-2019, 09:38 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020888

Oh, probably does not make much difference for performance. However, putting the fans on the interior (pull) is likely less noisy because the fan blade will only interact with one surface (the radiator). If you sandwich them between the radiator and case frame, there often is a secondary interaction, although obviously case specific.