Corsair Community

h110i and 3900x cooling problem

Dave65

Hi guys,

Having a problem and thinking it may be the cooler going bad.

First off my idle temps are fine in the mid 40s. The load temps with AIDA64 are troubling, it runs around 85 to 88 but I get spikes up to 99 then slowly comes back to 80s and them another sharp spike. The pump is on extreme or full speed and fans set to max.

My pump makes a low whine on quiet settings and it started doing that a few weeks ago, full speed it goes away.

My setup is an x570 Taichi, 3900x with Kryonaut thermal paste. Tried every different way to apply it, spreading it, dotting it and an X and a glop in the middle nothing seems to work.

I know these CPUs run hot but that spike has me a bit worried.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks.

You need to look at coolant temperature (H110i Temp) to assess cooler function. Most people will idle 4-7C above the room temp or equal to the case ambient temperature. Load temps might eventually reach +8C above that, although there is not a lot of 3900X data thus far.

Warning signs are coolant temps in the 40s at idle or continually increasing values in combination with coolant temps that do not decrease when the load is finished.

That is in the expected range although you really need to the room and case temp to put it in perspective. Regardless, if the idle coolant temp value is 31-ish and your CPU temps are 40-something, then...

1) Your CPU is active at the desktop and not really at idle. Take a look at your voltage values and settings.

and/or

2) As far as I know, the CPUID product iCUE uses for data detection is not updated for Ryzen 3000 series CPUs. That makes the temp data for the CPU unreliable. Make sure you are taking your data from the AMD app or a known good source.

It is possible you have a contact issue, but after several attempts this seems unlikely and the two problems above are widely reported. If your cooler was not functioning, you would see a much greater coolant temperature as described above.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar issue with my H115i RGB Platinum... I have a MSi X570 MPG Gaming Pro Carbon board with a AMD 3900X CPU. When under load, the CPU hits 95+ degrees C. When at idle, the temps drop to 38-40 degrees.

I know the new AMD CPUs run really hot, primarily because the CPU voltages constantly runs at 1.4875 volts and because of their high TDP of 95 degrees. But the H115i is no better than the stock AMD Wraith Prism cooler in cooling the CPU other than the super loud fan when it ramps up to its max speed...

I have a similar issue with my H115i RGB Platinum... I have a MSi X570 MPG Gaming Pro Carbon board with a AMD 3900X CPU. When under load, the CPU hits 95+ degrees C. When at idle, the temps drop to 38-40 degrees.

I know the new AMD CPUs run really hot, primarily because the CPU voltages constantly runs at 1.4875 volts and because of their high TDP of 95 degrees. But the H115i is no better than the stock AMD Wraith Prism cooler in cooling the CPU other than the super loud fan when it ramps up to its max speed...

Well I know it is the cooler now, I borrowed an air cooler off another computer and the problem is solved. Temps say in the 80s but no spikes to 99.

Just not sure if it would be worth RMAing this thing.

Hi, I am having a similar issue. Water temps seem normal in icue but my cpu temps are through the roof under load, especially when OC'd even slightly. I have an i7 6700K and idle temps are about 40c whilst gaming load is anywhere from 60c-80c at stock 4ghz, and OC'ed to 4.2ghz or higher I will see 70c-92c when gaming normally. I am still using the paste that came on the cooler.