Corsair Community

H150i not running newly installed fans properly.

ColonelSwifty

I have just bought 3 Be Quiet fans (the silent wings 3 PWM high speed edition) and have connected them directly to the 3 fan splitter coming out of the CPU block/pump. However, I can't set a custom cooling curve without the fans turning off complete and in order to get the fans spinning again they have to be set to fixed % above 95%.

Any ideas why it is bugging out like this and why I can't get the % any lower? Is it because the new fans max out at 2200RPM and not 1600RPM?

All fans are connected correctly and are working, I also have 3 more that are controlled through CAM and can be varied individually without an issue.

The Corsair controllers do not handle BeQuiet PWM fans well or at all. There has always been some quirks with the PWM control on SW2 and SW3 with all brand controllers, but this is normally confined to odd or steep control curves. On Corsair controllers, you likely get no response at all. Sorry, that is a not a combination you don't want to use and this extends to the Commander Pro as well. 3 pin DC SW2 and 3 will work as expected, but that does not help for the PWM Pro controller.

If the fans are more important to you, you likely will have full control from the motherboard, although limited to whatever control sources are available. One work around would be to pick up $7 10K thermistor cable. You should have a water in/out and/or temp probe connector on your board. You run the wire to the exhaust side of the H150i and tape it so the sensor end sticks out into the exhaust flow. Exhaust air temp = coolant temp. You now have coolant based control from within the BIOS. I have 20 or 25 of these models spanning several years, including most of the SW3 series in their various forms and sizes. I like them, but not quite so much on a radiator. It sounds like you have committed to that aesthetic, so perhaps the thermistor route is the best way to go.

No, it's not a firmware thing. It is most likely differences on the hardware level for the PWM controller on both devices. The wiring and construction of a PWM circuit is not my area of expertise. There were some people out there making a wire based regulator to fix the BQ PWM signal issues (not related to Corsair). I don't know if there are still out there, but you might be able to find them.

Well damn, guess I will just have to return them. It's weird though because CAM (not sure if you are familiar with the software) is able to regulate the RPM of the fans without a problem, that's why I initially thought it was an issue pertaining to the software. Any idea why this may be possible?

I do know CAM, but that is just the software. The hardware controller would be a NZXT Grid fan hub or one of their Kraken coolers. I have never tried to use them with my X62. They will work with your Asus motherboard controller and I have been using them for years with the Asus line. It's up to you whether to go with the workaround or change one of the components involved. Just FYI, the other fan with commonly reported issues in the Noctua PPC 3000 PWM A14 and F12. Nobody needs a 3000 rpm fan in PC case, so that shouldn't be an issue. The 2000 PWM versions of both work just fine.

Yeah correct I'm using the NZXT Grid fan hub that came with the H700i tower. As a workaround I have just connected all fans to the fan hub and it's working fine, I guess I'll just stick with that. Would still like the rad fans to connect directly to the CPU block but what can you do. Don't really want to get rid of the fans either.

Thanks for your help mate, greatly appreciated.

Archived