Corsair Community

seeking cooler advice

appletechgeek

so i got my little x58 rig here with a xeon x5675 on a asus p6t SE motherboard. still a awesome system

but my current water cooler from Antec does not cut it. if i hit aida64 on stock speeds it instantly hits 86c. (these are temps after delidding and direct die contact)

i'm looking for a water cooler (or aircooler. the NH D15 seems tempting)

i think the ideal one would be a cooler capable of keeping a 180watt chip cool because the xeon can get quite hot when you start overclocking it

i got a define r6 case so in terms of air/water coolers there is pretty much no limit to what you can put in.

my current water cooler is a Antec mecury 360 .

the corsair 150i pro seems like a nice cooler

but i've also seen the eisbaer lt360 wich keeps a 8700k at 5ghz about 20c cooler than my current cooler

the chip i currently got in my motherboard is binned for around 4.8 to 5.0 ghz

excuse me for my rather noob qeustion about this.

i havent really dove into overclocking and water cooling alot since it used to be very uncomfy area for me.

also no i'm not looking into making a custom loop thats way out of my comfort zone

thank you alot in advance for all the tips

At some level, there's only so much a cooler can do to keep a hot chip cool. You should start with temps at stock and move up from there. Adding voltage (like when you overclock) will add heat before any cooler can remove it. There's also a relationship to the coolant temperature - the chip temp has more relevance as a delta from the coolant temp.

That said, I've use the H115i Platinum with my ThreadRipper 2950X and it was up to the task. The H150 should also be able to handle it without issue.

the corsair 150i pro seems like a nice cooler

but i've also seen the eisbaer lt360 wich keeps a 8700k at 5ghz about 20c cooler than my current cooler

the chip i currently got in my motherboard is binned for around 4.8 to 5.0 ghz

A lot of that is because an 8700K@5GHz is nowhere near the wattage of your current CPU. My delided 8700K ran under 55C on a 280mm H115i Pro at 5.0/1.30v. The temps are not much better on a dual radiator custom loop because very little of that is cooler limited. It's at the CPU.

I am not familiar with your current 360mm cooler. If it has some way to measure coolant temperature change, that is a good way to assess both efficiency and the potential improvements from other coolers. If you have a small coolant delta, then you are not going to see much improvement from another 360mm.