The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 73 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 04:43 AM
AndreiD's PC Specs

POST ID # = 617662
AndreiD Reputation: 10
Default Corsair H80i needs backplate washers

Hi! About a week ago I got myself the new Corsair H80i closed loop water cooling system, and after I first installed it, I have to say I wasn't really that much impressed with it. I was upgrading from a Hyper 212 Evo+ and I barely noticed a couple of degree performance improvement, so I was somewhat disappointed.
My idle temps were: 37 35 35 34 (per core)
And my load temps were: 72 72 74 68 (IBT 5 pass into Prime 95)
Processor details: i7 2600K - 4020 Mhz @ 1.28v - LLC: Medium
Radiator setup: 2x 1200rpm cheap fans in push-pull, exhaust

Since I kept seeing reviews on the internet with the H80i doing much better, I started looking for the cause of my temperatures, and I seem to have found the issue.
The problem seems to be the backplate. There are numerous reports of the backplate being loose, and that seems to be an issue as not enough pressure is put onto the CPU, so the thermal transfer suffers. I noticed this after I applied some thermal grease (Arctic Silver 5), as it did spread, but it seemed there wasn't such good contact (I remember the way my Hyper 212 Evo+ spread the compound). It seems that the LGA1155/1156 double headed screws they supply are too long for some motherboard set ups, and there is need for washers to be placed on the backplate screw holes, behind the motherboard.

So I installed a set of rubber washers I had from a fan (the backplate would still be a little loose, but FAR from what it is without the washers) and re-mounted the H80i.

I redid the tests, the CPU was in the same conditions, the room temperature was the same!
Idle: 32 30 30 30
Load: 56 59 62 58
What a difference! And bare in mind, this is with a set of fans which have very poor static pressure and move a small to moderate amount of air (1200 rpm Fractal Silent 120mm fans) in a pretty poorly ventilated case.
That's more than 10 degree celsius difference in load, just because of the better contact.
The motherboard used is a mITX Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe.

So if you're having H80i temperature issues and when you installed it, you noticed that the backplate was very loose after you tightened up the double headed screws, you should give this a shot.

NOTE: This might just be an issue with select motherboards, since for some users the screws fit snugly.
NOTE: The included metal washers will not fit the screw holes, you need plastic/rubber ones.

Last edited by AndreiD; 12-05-2012 at 04:47 AM.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 617762
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Quote:
NOTE: This might just be an issue with select motherboards, since for some users the screws fit snugly.
I was going to mention this, because not all MB thickness are the same. But in most cases, when you just put the standoffs on to the back plate, backplate is going to be wobbly and that is given but once the pump is secure, that is when screws pulls the back plate against the back of the MB making the pump/coldplate secure on top of the CPU. In your case, since you have a mITX board, the board is probably thinner creating a fraction of a gap between CPU and coldplate and may need a washer to make a good and solid contact.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 PM
AndreiD's PC Specs

POST ID # = 617821
AndreiD Reputation: 10

The issue seems to happen with some Gigabyte boards too from what I've found on other forums. But anyway, there's an easy workaround so not a big deal.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 PM
snfo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 637208
snfo Reputation: 31

I have a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H and no problem.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Pipdrums's PC Specs

POST ID # = 638992
Pipdrums Reputation: 10

I have the same motherboard. Was your backplate wobbly? Mine seems very much so. The backplate has maybe 5mm of play/looseness. I have not mounted the H80i pump yet.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:10 PM
rainerrocket's PC Specs

POST ID # = 637190
rainerrocket Reputation: 10

really quick im having same issue, im using the rubber fan washers that were supplied from 600t case, is it ok to have them mounted on top of the board, or should they be on the back

Old 03-01-2013, 06:23 PM
reddiamond's PC Specs

POST ID # = 637198
reddiamond Reputation: 10

At the back, if you mount them on the front you will take away the slack but the pump will actually have less pressure than before..

Old 03-02-2013, 11:50 AM
m3owie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 637368
m3owie Reputation: 10

I'm using a asrock B75M DGS, and my backplate is rather loose. how would I know the required thickness of the washers? Thanks!

Old 03-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Noobcase's PC Specs

POST ID # = 637816
Noobcase Reputation: 10

I got one of the boxes that said 8 washers (for mounting the fans to the rad) but only came with 4 - luckily I did not need the last 4 as I had a protecting fan grid that needed to be fitted using the supplied long screws fans.. just saying at that price someone ought to be able to put the right amount of washers in the case....

Last edited by Noobcase; 03-04-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 638116
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Quote:
I'm using a asrock B75M DGS, and my backplate is rather loose. how would I know the required thickness of the washers? Thanks!
That is normal, once you have put in the pump on top of the CPU and you'll notice how the 4 thumbscrews will pull the backplate against the back of the motherboard securing the pump and making the backplate tight.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:52 AM

POST ID # = 639096
Toasted Toasted Reputation: 124

Mount the pump. the backplate should tighten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
That is normal, once you have put in the pump on top of the CPU and you'll notice how the 4 thumbscrews will pull the backplate against the back of the motherboard securing the pump and making the backplate tight.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:43 AM
steveliddle's PC Specs

POST ID # = 645209
steveliddle Reputation: 10

got an asus p8z77-v lx

backplate is on, screws are on tight and the backplate is loose

even if the pump was at max tightness on the other side of the hexagonal spacer, the spacer will stop it being tight

just found a bag with 8 rubber washers, does not seem to be from the case -650d, fitted them and the back plate is secure....

will do a post and probably a blog, great bits of kit, but no useful instructions

having to use google and it seems most people have the same issues

I will probably end up writing a blog on it :)

Old 04-06-2013, 10:10 AM
zephead99's PC Specs

POST ID # = 645226
zephead99 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveliddle View Post
got an asus p8z77-v lx

backplate is on, screws are on tight and the backplate is loose

even if the pump was at max tightness on the other side of the hexagonal spacer, the spacer will stop it being tight

just found a bag with 8 rubber washers, does not seem to be from the case -650d, fitted them and the back plate is secure....

will do a post and probably a blog, great bits of kit, but no useful instructions

having to use google and it seems most people have the same issues

I will probably end up writing a blog on it :)
I had the same issue with the P8Z77-I, it did tighten up a bit once the thumbscrews were on but it still looked like the block was hovering above the heatspreader. Put 4 neoprene washer on the back plate and now everything tightens down correctly.

However not everyone should do this, as RAMGUY said normal mechanical action should secure the backplate as you tighten the thumbscrews. If you add washers when they aren't needed you could actually decrease the mounting pressure of the cooler on the cpu, the opposite of what you want.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:35 PM
as designed won't fix
Haylee's PC Specs

POST ID # = 645849
Haylee Reputation: 10

I am wondering about this too. This is what my H80i looks like after all thumbscrews have been tightened up - there are noticeable gaps between
the board and the standoff screws. Is that how it's supposed to look when you're done?

Attached Images
File Type: png 101299_an.png (993.3 KB, 39519 views)
File Type: png 101303_an.png (930.5 KB, 28282 views)

Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 AM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 646184
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Haylee, it will differ from board to board. If you notice the ends of the screws are tapered and thats where you see a "gap" But it is actually sitting on the MB.

If the cooling block is tight and your temps are where they should be, there is no need to worry about it.

Tags
backplate, h80i, loose, screws, washers