Corsair Community

How to clean my all in one cooler?

Spasmodic

Hey all! Quick question for you. I'm going to be transplanting my components into a new chassis in a couple weeks time, and during this process I feel like it would be a good idea to clean up my AiO a touch. For reference, I have the H100i Platinum SE:

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Dual-Radiator-Liquid-Coolers/Hydro-Series%E2%84%A2-H100i-RGB-PLATINUM-SE-240mm-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060041-WW

I don't believe it's overly dirty at the moment, but I'd like to know good general maintenance habits as I've never owned one before. I'm also a bit of a clean freak when it comes to my PC, so I'd like to learn how to keep it clean. I saw Bitwit blast one with compressed air, but he shot the dust clean through the fins... Then I saw Hardware Canucks vacuum his, but he advised against this. As such, I feel a bit lost, so some guidance would be much appreciated!

if you do it outside of the case it's fine to use a vaccuum cleaner. They generate a LOT of static electricity that can zap your components if you do it in situ (yea i placed that one!)

Since the fans are installed in push orientation, you will need to remove them from teh radiator to be able to clean the dust carpet on the fins, so you may as well take the whole AIO out if there's not room to squeeze a screwdriver comfortably.

On custom loop i just rinse the whole rad in the sink, but here since electronics are attached, i wouldn't advise it, or at your own risk ^^ that's the cleanest results i usually get, it flushes dust within the fins and leaves em as new.

Then you have compressed air that does a really good job obviously, with some help from a soft paintbrush.

I personally use the paintbrush as my main dusting tool. rarely need more.

If you really want to have it easy, you could install the fans as pull, behind the rad, but that kinda defeats going RGB to start with.

in pull you have direct access to where the dust accumulates on the fins, and you can clean it anytime without taking anything apart. (but really unless you have pets, smoke, never clean the room and removed all filters, you won't need to clean your rad that often).

I got something along the lines of this years ago. I deep clean my PC probably 2-3 times a year, so it's already saved me money as opposed to using Duster or the canned alternative. Will clean a radiator in about 20 seconds.

https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer-Replacement/dp/B00V8S9XU6/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=datavac&qid=1596753946&sr=8-11

of course you can, just remember it will blow dust everywhere in your PC. That's where the electric blower is better because it makes all that fly away.

With blowers, you mostly have to be careful not to overspin the fans. they can spin waaaaaay beyond their rated speed and have their bearings damaged. just hold em while blowing air through.