Corsair Community

K70 Rapidfire USB Pass-Through - 1 x USB 3.0 vs 2 x USB 2.0

loslyfie

According to the Corsair online FAQ you can either connect the keyboard icon connector via USB 3.0 only, or both connectors (double arrows icon first) via USB 2.0.

When I connect my keyboard with both connectors via USB 2.0 my USB pass-through works. When I connect my keyboard via USB 3.0 only (keyboard icon connector), the keyboard functions normally but my USB pass-through does not work. I've tested this on my desktop and laptop, same thing.

Is this normal?

Ignore that FAQ you found, that is intended for the old/legacy K65/K70/K95 RGB keyboards only. Those old keyboards didn't have a pass-through and needed 2x2.0 USB ports to get the power needed to work (or 1x3.0 USB port).

The new LUX and RAPIDFIRE series don't have anymore such requirement, you use one cable (either 2.0 or 3.0) to power the keyboard and the other cable to connect the USB pass-through. In your case you need to always plug both for the pass-through to work.

i have just rma my k95 due to a key issue and replaced it with the k70 rapidfire, when i connect the mm800 to the rapidfire it will not work (well intermittent) when using usb extension cables it will when plugged in direct to 2.0 even 3.0 the only way i can use the mm800 with extension cables is both via 3.0 i am guess this is a power drop over longer distance as a tried a few extensions, question is this ok 2 3.0 usbs as it is backward compatible even though they say one 3.0 , theirs no spec anywhere on the box showing this.

with this rf being updated this should solve the 3.0 system shutdown issue i had with the k95 which is good.

• 1 month later...
According to the Corsair online FAQ you can either connect the keyboard icon connector via USB 3.0 only, or both connectors (double arrows icon first) via USB 2.0.

When I connect my keyboard with both connectors via USB 2.0 my USB pass-through works. When I connect my keyboard via USB 3.0 only (keyboard icon connector), the keyboard functions normally but my USB pass-through does not work. I've tested this on my desktop and laptop, same thing.

Is this normal?

I'll Make this simple. I just received my K70 Lux RGB Cherry MX and my M65 Pro RGB. I plugged in the USB with the KB icon into my 3.0 port...the KB worked but my M65 wasn't recognized.

So if you want to use the USB passthrough port on the KB to get sexy colours on your mouse, you need to plug in both USB plugs the keyboard comes with.

I hope this helps.

BTW all my I/O rear panel USB ports are USB 3. I still had to plug in both to get the passthrough function.

Is this normal?

I have added a new section to address your issue :biggrin:

Archived