Corsair Community

HG10 N980 & N970 Thread - Post Issues Here

TheDudeLasse

Managed to lower my load temps by fixing the sag at the blower end of the card. Load temps dropped about 6 degrees at a 1480Mhz overclock. The contact seems to be significantly improved when the PCB is as straight as possible. After 2 hours of Battlefront at 1440p the peak temp was 61c. My H80i GT water temps are about 51c, so don't expect to get much better results with my front mounted AIO.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is find and dandy, but when contacting customer support for those of us that already ordered these, they have absolutely no idea what we are talking about and just tell us to return the item.

There seems to be a disconnect within Corsair. Not to mention new ones still are not for sale on their website, so this 'fix' must not be ready.

That is find and dandy, but when contacting customer support for those of us that already ordered these, they have absolutely no idea what we are talking about and just tell us to return the item.

There seems to be a disconnect within Corsair. Not to mention new ones still are not for sale on their website, so this 'fix' must not be ready.

Funny thing: I contacted Amazon about the replacement standoffs and Amazon decided to issue me a full refund for the HG10 including the expedited overseas shipping costs. I really can't complain about this, especially when I did not ask for it.

Funny thing: I contacted Amazon about the replacement standoffs and Amazon decided to issue me a full refund for the HG10 including the expedited overseas shipping costs. I really can't complain about this, especially when I did not ask for it.

I wasn't around to receive mine from Amazon and so it got sent back to them for a refund...wow I mean at this rate pascal is gonna hit before we get this.

...wow I mean at this rate pascal is gonna hit before we get this.

I've been thinking that as well, every day we draw closer to release of another generation of cards. Pascal is supposed to be an enormous leap forward. I might just end up selling my 980Ti as is and keeping the H80iGT as a back up CPU cooler. Had I foreseen this scenario, I would not have made any purchases months ago and just kept using that noisy GTX 770.

I really don't think Pascal will be such a enormous leap forward.

They always say that "omg our next line of card will be 10x faster" but in reality, the card is only like 2x faster than the previous generation.

It has with physical limits to do.

There is 2 alternatives when it comes to chip making:

1: Either make the litography smaller. Here you will reach a limit where it will be more and more difficult to make it smaller, since when you reach the wavelength of light in detail size (currently they use UV light to reach smallest possible wavelength), its simply not possible to increase the detail any further.

EUV light can reach 10nm, and that is simply the smallest size chip you can do. The GTX 980 Ti for example, is 28nm, and if you halve that to 14nm, you gain a 4x performance increase, but might lose about 100-200% in heat, giving 2x-3x performance. Note that there is limits on how near you can go to the limit. Pascal will be 16nm so there you will still be VERY near limit.

2: Or make the chip larger, but keep the size of the details, but that instead means the whole chip work a little bit slower, since the electricity signals needs time to reach from the far end of the chip to the near end of the chip.

Im really not that impressed of Pascal. I think Pascal will just be pretty much faster than 980 Ti, but it will not be groundbreaking, it will be like GTX 970 vs GTX 980 ti. Same will be with pascal.

I really don't think Pascal will be such a enormous leap forward.

They always say that "omg our next line of card will be 10x faster" but in reality, the card is only like 2x faster than the previous generation.

It has with physical limits to do.

There is 2 alternatives when it comes to chip making:

1: Either make the litography smaller. Here you will reach a limit where it will be more and more difficult to make it smaller, since when you reach the wavelength of light in detail size (currently they use UV light to reach smallest possible wavelength), its simply not possible to increase the detail any further.

EUV light can reach 10nm, and that is simply the smallest size chip you can do. The GTX 980 Ti for example, is 28nm, and if you halve that to 14nm, you gain a 4x performance increase, but might lose about 100-200% in heat, giving 2x-3x performance. Note that there is limits on how near you can go to the limit. Pascal will be 16nm so there you will still be VERY near limit.

2: Or make the chip larger, but keep the size of the details, but that instead means the whole chip work a little bit slower, since the electricity signals needs time to reach from the far end of the chip to the near end of the chip.

Im really not that impressed of Pascal. I think Pascal will just be pretty much faster than 980 Ti, but it will not be groundbreaking, it will be like GTX 970 vs GTX 980 ti. Same will be with pascal.

The real gains are going to be HBM2, but it's going to be a bit of a double edged sword as HBM2 equipped Pascal video cards are probably going to be crap in a price to performance comparison vs Maxwell and GDDR5X equipped Pascal, I don't know where the GDDR5X cards are going to end too.

But yeah, that 400% performance gain is probably a bit exaggerated unless that was at 4k or the old trick that Nvidia and AMD use to hype their cards up and use a relative performance per watt scale.

AMD's Richard Huddy said in an interview that they know they can reach 5nm with silicone but that it becomes more difficult after 10nm. What I took from that is that they do have a way to shrink beyond 10nm. I can't post links right now unfortunately, but if you want to see the interview, search YouTube for "interview with AMD's Richard Huddy", the interview is on Techteam GB's channel. If nothing else, it's a really interesting interview.

Is there anyway to reduce the fan speed of the blower fan? The lowest mine will go is about 1700 rpm (via msi afterburner and verified with gpu-z). It's pretty loud, though it gets much louder when set higher in afterburner. So is there a way to cut down the speed even more when the gpu is idle?

At this point it may be worth is to shell out $100 for the the EVGA hybrid cooler.

Actually been running this EVGA kit for about 3 months now, but was just hoping to make use of this spare H110 cooler I have that I can't return. The EVGA kit was supposed to just hold me over, then I could re-sell it.

At this point though, I have never seen my GPU temp go above 47* on anything I run with the EVGA kit. So I'm not sure if I even want to swap out to the Corsair setup. Everyone on here that uses the N980 says they see temps as high as 60*+... no thanks.

I opened an RMA ticket with Corsair to return this HG10, but got 0 response so far.

That what I've would have done if I did not buy before the corsair h100igtx ...

I also bought a H110 in anticipation for this HG10 unit, now I can't return it.

From my personal experience though, even though the EVGA kit is a smaller rad, it is out performing every HG10 setup I've seen posted. It be worth it to just sell your H100 and buy the EVGA kit.

My hg10 can get up to 75C with overclocking on a stress test. 980ti, +250mhz core, +24mv, 110% power on the asus stress test/benchmark.

Gentletyphoon 1450rpm with a h75 rad but only the one fan installed.

Edited by Skhmt

My hg10 can get up to 75C with overclocking on a stress test. 980ti, +250mhz core, +24mv, 110% power on the asus stress test/benchmark.

Gentletyphoon 1450rpm with a h75 rad but only the one fan installed.

You may want to get the Gentle Typhoon that spins at 1850 rpm the AP-15 for lower temps.