Corsair Community

QL and LL fans

JustWicked

I have 3 LL120 fans in my 500D SE. i was thinking of buying 3 ql120 fans for the front and placing my ll120 fans in the back and top of the case.

i saw that the QL is using the node core and i am currently using the ll 120 fan hub and the commander pro. is it possible to use the ql fans on either of these without using the node core?

Edited by JustWicked

iCUE doesn't support having multiple fan types on a single channel. So the supported way to do this would be to get an RGB Fan LED Hub (from Corsair.com) and then put it on the second channel on the CoPro. It works just fine (I have 6 QLs like this).

Even though it's not supported, you can get them to work on the same hub/channel, however. You'd configure the channel for ... 5 QL fans. Put the 3 QLs on the first 3 ports - you'll be able to directly control them. Put the LLs on the last 3 ports - they will be controlled by "parts" of the QL fans in iCUE. It'll work but some effects will be weird and wonky, especially the channel effects (like Infinity) for the QL fans.

• 3 months later...
iCUE doesn't support having multiple fan types on a single channel. So the supported way to do this would be to get an RGB Fan LED Hub (from Corsair.com) and then put it on the second channel on the CoPro. It works just fine (I have 6 QLs like this).

Even though it's not supported, you can get them to work on the same hub/channel, however. You'd configure the channel for ... 5 QL fans. Put the 3 QLs on the first 3 ports - you'll be able to directly control them. Put the LLs on the last 3 ports - they will be controlled by "parts" of the QL fans in iCUE. It'll work but some effects will be weird and wonky, especially the channel effects (like Infinity) for the QL fans.

@DevBiker

I have 5 fans total (1 QL, 2 LL, and 2 non-RGB that I'm considering replacing with 2 QL's). I also have the lighting strips, a Commander Pro, LED Hub, an H115i, and an LNP (not currently in use). What is the proper way to wire these? Would I need anything along with the 2 QL fans or would I be able to put the spare LNP to use?

Edited by GoodyGizmos

The "proper" way would be to have the QL's and the LL's on a separate channel and Fan Hub. Period.

The strips are going to be on another channel. That would use the LNP.

Now ... going off the "proper" way, you do have options.

You can get away with putting them on the same channel but your effects will be off, especially effects that are unique to the QLs.

Fan hubs - last I checked - were out of stock on Corsair.com. They are still available but the prices are going up. If you don't have a fan hub and don't want to pay like $50 for one, there is a 3rd party adapter that will let you put 2 fans (like your 2 LLs) directly on the Lighting Channel - no Fan Hub required. That's another option ... it's kinda in the spirit of the "proper" way but not exactly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey so I’ve done this.

I have 2 LL120’s and 3 QL120’s, plus 3 LS100 Strips inside my case.

I originally bought the QL120’s for my H100i. Unfortunately for whatever reason, the software does not recognise QL fans when they’re plugged in through the pump harness. Fortunately they came with an RGB hub (node core). I simply plugged all 3 fans into this RGB hub. The benefit of this hub is it plugged into the USB port on my commander pro, instead of the RGB port.

This meant that I could daisy chain my LS100 strips through the RGB port on the commander pro.

My LL120’s are still plugged into a seperate fan hub I purchased originally that plugs into the first RGB port of my Commander.

The only problem I’ve noticed is that for whatever reason, the QL’s provide a slightly paler/whiter light to all of the other products. My guess is a slightly different plastic used to diffuse for the light. Poor thinking in my opinion. Just like making the LED strip in the Spec-06 not iCue compatible, I had to replace it with a 450mm LS100 strip.