Corsair Community

AX1200i Link OCP settings? Software/Hardware compatibility questions.

ZeroPotato

I've got a AX1200i I bought third party without any link hardware, and am attempting to use for some mining hardware. I cannot get it to run at 250W-1000W off of the PCIE connectors for any considerable amount of time (30 mins +) when used with a ASIC miner or with GPUs. I'm wondering if OCP is tripping it, and shutting the power supply off (red light) and if the problem goes away if I disable OCP through Link software. I've read in a lot of places that there is a non-trivial probability that the connector current readings can be wrong and can trip OCP.

I'm looking for a lowest cost solution that would be persistent in a headless(motherboard-less) application.

My thinking goes something like this:

Get a link USB dongle such as: 75-001444 or CP-8920019

Set up PSU connected to computer

Change/disable OCP settings in Link v4 (Specific version recommendations welcome)

Test with GPUs, if pass, setup with ASIC miner, test again, if fails contact seller

Some questions:

Is the stand alone Link USB Dongle compatible with the most recent (seemingly more reliable/successful) Link v4 software?

Will the settings persist after removing the PSU from the Link dongle and motherboard?

Is there a way to disable/fool the current sensors via a shunt bypass or something similar? I'd rather not do this, but it is being considered as a last ditch effort.

Some more background information:

I've eliminated potential thermal issues by placing a 150CFM fan on top of the PSU fan. Did not help.

I've ensured that there is less than 20A per PCIE plug, at least in theory. Each module has a max draw of 250W and that is split among 2 plugs. In video card testing, I'm putting (1) GTX 1070 per PCIE connector, and both situations lead to shutdown.

I'd rather not get the Commander Pro, as it is excessive for my needs and much more costly for a set-it-and-forget-it application, but I will if I have to.

Any info/input/recommendations are helpful. :D:

• Corsair Employee
I've got a AX1200i I bought third party without any link hardware, and am attempting to use for some mining hardware. I cannot get it to run at 250W-1000W off of the PCIE connectors for any considerable amount of time (30 mins +) when used with a ASIC miner or with GPUs. I'm wondering if OCP is tripping it, and shutting the power supply off (red light) and if the problem goes away if I disable OCP through Link software. I've read in a lot of places that there is a non-trivial probability that the connector current readings can be wrong and can trip OCP.

You're already on thin ice with a used AX1200i, just so you're aware. You have no idea where that thing's been or what's been done to it.

I'm looking for a lowest cost solution that would be persistent in a headless(motherboard-less) application.

My thinking goes something like this:

Get a link USB dongle such as: 75-001444 or CP-8920019

Set up PSU connected to computer

Change/disable OCP settings in Link v4 (Specific version recommendations welcome)

Test with GPUs, if pass, setup with ASIC miner, test again, if fails contact seller

Some questions:

Is the stand alone Link USB Dongle compatible with the most recent (seemingly more reliable/successful) Link v4 software?

Yes. But you're going to need both that USB dongle and the I2C cable that plugs into the back of the AX1200i.

Will the settings persist after removing the PSU from the Link dongle and motherboard?

As long as you don't shut down/unplug the AX1200i itself, which...is dicey.

Is there a way to disable/fool the current sensors via a shunt bypass or something similar? I'd rather not do this, but it is being considered as a last ditch effort.

You're on your own there.

You're already on thin ice with a used AX1200i, just so you're aware. You have no idea where that thing's been or what's been done to it.

Yeah... It's the first corsair supply I've bought second hand. I probably should have researched more and realized that these things were kind of finicky.

Yes. But you're going to need both that USB dongle and the I2C cable that plugs into the back of the AX1200i.

I've questioned another user about the pinout, and have made a cable to go between the power supply and the dongle. If the commands used on the I2C bus were to be posted, I would just use a pi to give it the settings and monitor stats. THAT WOULD BE REALLY NICE. It's partially given me the inspiration to get a dongle and monitor the I2C bus to debug/decode the commands.

As long as you don't shut down/unplug the AX1200i itself, which...is dicey.

That is... annoying and impractical. So, with the fact it goes to a default state in mind, what would be the default OCP settings? Could I safely call this thing defective given my testing?

You're on your own there.
Yeah... All else fails if I can't get something else worked out, I will either get it refunded, attempt to find the root cause of failure, or try to bypass the shunt or manipulate whatever current measuring mechanism is being used. There might be some integral operational part relying on this information, but it would be equally useful with the magic smoke released as it currently is... It's been a while since I've worked on a computer PSU. Never worked on a DSP based PSU before, which probably introduces unknown states based on unknown logic.

Thank you for your info.

Archived