Corsair Community

RM750X creates power failure code on HP desktop

ConstantinGhost

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well. First this is about an HP desktop (Z400) at work, so I can't mod much but can be creative if a solution sounds reasonable. I recently ordered an RM750X (new) and got it today. I installed it with no major hassle. Before connecting anything else besides the power supply I powered up the PC and got a "power failure" code. The original HP P/S was working fine and everything else before doing the swap. I removed all the cards installed and only have the P/S connected but still get the code. I tried the paper clip test and that seems to be ok, DVD drive turns on and seems to work. I measured the voltage on the CPU connector (I'm using only 4 pins) during the paper clip test and got 11.89V which seems a bit low but within acceptable operational specs. What could be wrong here, a bad or incorrectly wired cable, any suggestions? Yes, I did go back to the HP P/S and all is working fine.

:eek: Thanks! That's a fun tidbit of info, of course, it's HP. Makes me think back in the day when HP was programming in reverse polish while every one else was on a different page programming in any other normal, widely used language. Any idea if the guys at Corsair have this cable configuration ready made or if they can make one? :greencry:

• Corsair Employee

It's an HP only pinout. It's not even widly used by HP (only a few models use it). If we made it, we'd sell maybe two.

I did Google it and found an adapter that supposedly takes the standard 24-pin pinout and converts it to the HP Z400 pinout: https://www.moddiy.com/products/ATX-to-HP-Z400-24-Pin-Non-Standard-ATX-Pinout-Main-Power-Adapter-Cable.html

ModDIY is trustworthy. I use them all of the time.