Corsair Community

Corsair One Pro i200 Creaking Noises

MykeyDay

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Corsair One Pro i200 for my small business, having been an iMac Pro (and all things apple) user for many years. I've decided the shine is off the Apple and am moving back to PC.

The unit has arrived and has a constant and relatively loud creaking noise. I have contacted support about this but have only got stock copy-paste message about arranging a return. Ideally I'd want to keep this unit or at least get another one as replacement (not return completely).

The creaking noise is constant and not seemingly affected by computer usage. All fans except GPU fan 2 spin up and down as normal with no change in noise. It is not super loud but clearly audible in our quiet office and has drawn a few criticisms from others so far. I've been informed that GPU fan 2 never spins up until the card gets toasty (over 60 degrees) which so far this unit has not despite some heavy benchmark testing (it never goes above 50-55 - nice!).

I have attached a video below, and whilst it is a little louder than in real life due to mic proximity, I wouldn't say it was far off. It's definitely louder than keyboard typing for example.

[ame]

[/ame]

Ignore the loud pops in the video as they aren't from the PC - when close you can hear the creaking. It almost sounds like an old HDD doing reads and write - My guess is that this is possibly just a normal noise from water cooling pumps? If so that would suck but I'll learn to live with it, and if not I'd like a new one whilst in warranty.

I've reached out to support asking them if its normal, and they haven't really answered my question - jumping straight to a return. That may be the answer, but I thought I would check with y'all before messing about with international shipping again (I'm in UK).

It's probably the water cooler pump (looks like it on the CPU side). Sounds just like a mechanical hard drive clicking, right? My i160 did the same thing for about a week and then settled down. Some have suggested laying the machine on its side for a bit, but I never did that. It just resolved itself. I can still faintly hear it if I put my ear right next to the side of the case, but it's definitely quieter than when I first booted the machine and it just resolved on its own with use.

It's probably the water cooler pump (looks like it on the CPU side). Sounds just like a mechanical hard drive clicking, right? My i160 did the same thing for about a week and then settled down. Some have suggested laying the machine on its side for a bit, but I never did that. It just resolved itself. I can still faintly hear it if I put my ear right next to the side of the case, but it's definitely quieter than when I first booted the machine and it just resolved on its own with use.

Many thanks for this, I will try laying it on its side - maybe its a stupid question but any particular side?

Yes it's coming from the CPU side, and yes hard disk drive scratching is probably the best description. In the video the loud 'pops' are not representative, the electronic creaking in the middle of the video is the main issue.

I managed to speak to some of Corsair's tech guys on the phone today, very helpful considering the difficulty of explaining the issue over the phone. They said based of my description on the noise I should probably take advantage of the 30 days return and get a new unit anyway as it could be something more serious. This way I will get a brand new system instead of a refurbished system. I guess at least if the new unit does the exact same thing we'll know it's a general issue rather than a specific one to this unit.

I'll try laying it on its side over night and over the weekend before they organise an RMA and I order a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i left it a day or two to see if I had a better reponse for you, but currently the situation is this:

1) Corsair support are infuriatingly difficult to deal with. Maybe I am just spoilt by Apple service who call you and tend to get things sorted with a resolution in place within the day... But 2 international phone calls later (1 of which involved being on hold for over 2 hours in total and being bounced between departments who were very trigger happy to pass me back over to another department if they could), and multiple emails later, I'm at a loss.

In particular the ticket support system is always a one sentence reply where clearly they only read the first email and not the stuff in-between as I have found myself having to re-explain the situation on multiple occasions. Even more gauling, is the fact that they take 3-4 days to reply but if I don't reply within 1 day they send an automated 'hurry up' email...

2) The noise itself, as others on the forum have suggested it might, has significantly decreased. Now it is only noticable when idling (water pumps running but not fans, as is normal operation), and thankfully only if you put your ear right up to it. Unit has been sat in one place as others have suggested is worth doing.

If I could confirm this is normal I would be happy and close the ticket and live with it, but one engineer from Corsair on the phone said it could be indicative of something quite serious and to be safe to send it back, and to do so in the 30 day warranty period and just buy a new one. Something I've tried to explain in the ticket system multiple times, but they keep getting lost. I guess I will have to just close the ticket and open a fresh new one to get anywhere.

The system itself, is fantastic, and running like a dream. Love it. But it's been spoilt a bit by the worry there is something wrong with the waterpump and the incredibly slow progress I'm making with Corsair support.

Appreciate your feedback. I'll probably roll the dice and order one today.

You may expect to wait for more than 2 weeks though. I placed the order nearly 3 weeks ago. The site just keeps saying 1 week availability. Corsair responds to my ticket regarding my order status like once per week and they keep telling me to wait for another week.

• 2 weeks later...
Well -- I've had mine up and running since Sunday. All was quiet the first day then started the same noise. Guess I'll wait a few days and see if it gets quieter. Mine is under my desk so I have to get down there to here it. It is on the CPU side of the case. Guessing it is the pump. I have opened the case to get a look at things (and install and extra SSD).

• 3 months later...
Sorry if I am resurrecting an older thread, did anyone get any feedback on this one, as I just recently got myself the Corsair one A100 and I have this exact issue, so wanted to know the result of this from yourselves before I try and get some support on this.

Sorry if I am resurrecting an older thread, did anyone get any feedback on this one, as I just recently got myself the Corsair one A100 and I have this exact issue, so wanted to know the result of this from yourselves before I try and get some support on this.

As others suggested it might, the noise did go away after unit was static for a while. Indeed, I have moved it a couple of times and the sound never came back to nearly the same volume.

So best guess: water bubbles working their way to the top. I kept the original unit in the end as I can barely hear it now even when fan is running up to 25/33%. Brilliant machine.

[EDIT - "a while" was about 5-7 days before I noticed it stopped making the noise ]

• Confused 1

Thank you Mykey, I'll see how it performs after a week or so, just so noisey, when it's idle and I'm only probably surfing the net or reading.

Glad your issue went away on its own. I love the machine apart from this crackling noise, so ideally don't want to send it back. Fingers crossed and once again thank you for the prompt reply!

If you're still getting the crackling noise, do reach out to our Support team. They'll want to know which side it's coming from and you can even record audio/video so they can look further into it.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I actually logged the case before posting on this forum, unfortunately your support guy, decided to merge another older case I have with corsair which was for an RMA with this one, and therefore he managed to change the SLA times on the ticket, so at the moment it's been a week and no response at all.

I think safer to just RMA this as I don't think your support technician I've been assigned too has much of a clue on this, but to tidy up his own SLA work log to look good for his own boss.

Appreciate you suggesting, but it was already done, before I reached out on the forums.

Oh and if you are interested the RMA case has been ongoing for close to 3 weeks and still not resolved, it is a simple refund, so not sure why it takes so long.

Edited by Venuzdnor

Update for any who have similar issues, finally the support team have responded, but it's a typical RMA to return and repair scenario. For me unfortunately I've just requested a straight refund instead as the noise did not dissipate at all, despite trying to angle the unit to see if the air bubbles would work themselves out of the cooling mechanism.

I would really like one of these units, the performance was great, loved the design, just a pity the noise was too aggravating :!:

So yea, just be aware for new buyers if you get the hdd sounding crackling/crunching sounds. I disabled the mechanical HDD in computer management, so I know it was not active, but the noise was definitely not from that.

Good luck to future buyers of the corsair and big thank you to MykeyDay who was kind enough to reply to my initial post!