Corsair Community

HX650 shutdown temperature

DavesMan

Hello folks!

Does anyone of You know the shutdown temperature limit value? Corsair HX series have an over temperature protection for certain.

I sold my HX450 (11 years old) in August. The buyer replied that the PC he has built (Phenom, integrated graphics - thus no extreme load) shuts down when his case is closed. It is OK when he opens his case. The PSU is located at the top.

I have a 600T case, PSU mounted at the bottom. Breathing air from outside. I've never suffered from this problem. I've upgraded to HX650 (also older one). No problem either. But when I turn the PSU upside down (so it intakes hot air) it also shuts down after a while. But I have much more power hungry HW. In fact the HX450 could be quite at its limit for years (about 10000 hours total).

But I dont think that temperature protection should be such sensitive. I would expect intervention at temperature around 80 °C. But I have aroud 45 - 50 °C in my case.

Thanks, David.

Edited by DavesMan

When switched power supplies came out the recommendation was to replace them every year. Things have improved since then but even so basing a new project around an 11 year old PSU strikes me as somewhat crazy. These days I replace a power supply when the warranty runs out. It's usually a good guide. I am not sure but I think you will find the warranty on yours was 7 years. If it was an egg it would be well hard-boiled! It's in need of gentle treatment.

Thank You for your answers!

We are talking about these PSUs:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Professional-Series%E2%84%A2-HX450-%E2%80%94-80-PLUS%C2%AE-Bronze-Certified-Modular-Power-Supply/p/CMPSU-450HX

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Professional-Series%E2%84%A2-HX650-%E2%80%94-80-PLUS%C2%AE-Bronze-Certified-Modular-Power-Supply/p/CMPSU-650HX

@jonnyguru: My HW info is filled in the profile. Main heat generators are AMD's HD7970 & FX-8120 Bulldozer. Stock freq. When idle the temperature "on the board" using the sensors is 36 - 43, depending on the sensor location. The board has about 9 sensors. But when under load both CPU and GPU is around 70 - 75 °C (sensor readings). So temperature rises everywhere.

@Pocah: yes it had 7 Yr. warranty. As I wrote: I've never had a problem with that HX450. I thought it could be damaged during transport. But the buyer then wrote that thing about open / closed case.

I've bought the HX650 (and yes I don't know how old it is) beacuse the HX450 would be too weak for Ryzen 7 / RTX 2080Ti I plan to buy. And as I was happy with HX450 I thought that HX650 would be great - it is the same line. In fact, the Ryzen 7 + RTX 2080Ti is quite comparable to my HD7970 & Bulldozer as far as power is concerned. But new HW = more gaming and I did not want to push HX450 to the limit for many hours per day.

HX650 runs well (HX450 did too). But only "on fresh air". Corsair rates these @ 100 000 hours and my HX450 had no more than 10 000. So that was main reason why I was surprised.

Edited by DavesMan