Corsair Community

Case Fan recommendation

happiehappie

Hi guys, I posted a similar question here previously but now I decided to really go for it because the exhaust is really hot (i can sweat just by sitting beside my computer in an air conditioned room) My build is as follows. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CPR2cY I would like to ask for suggestions for the following. - I would like to add 2 fans for my front, may I ask for advice on which fan to really get? - Can I add case fans to the top as well? If so, which fan should I go for?

That case can take up to 2x140 up top and 3x120s in the front, and 1x120 in the rear. If you are only running the stock 1 fan in the rear, you are going to have issues, especially if you are air cooling the CPU. If you just care about cooling and not about pretty, I would recommend going 2x140 up top as intake and either 3x120 or 2x140s in the front as intake as well. This will create a positive pressure within the case and force air to move through the case to your exhaust. If you find that is not providing enough air flow, then you could switch one of the top fans to exhaust, to draw more air-flow out of your case. That video card is going to be dumping tons of heat into your case and without significant flow into it everything coming out is going to be hot.

Sorry I'm pretty new at this, what's the difference between intake and exhaust fans? Are they different fan models or it's just my orientation of the fans?

Both the same Fan....

intake means bring air into the case....

exhaust means pushing air out of the case..

fan left would be pulling the air away from you.. fan on right would be pushing air at you.. hope that makes sense

34781_hd120%20intake-exhaust745.jpg

Looking at your build, I don't see mention of a separate CPU cooler, are you using the Wraith cooler that came with it?

From what I can read, the 500D comes with just a pair of 120mm fans, I would DEFINITELY use more than that. I'd probably use all the available mounting points for fans: a 120mm in the rear, a pair of 140mm's at the top, and either 2x140mm or 3x120mm in the front. I'd have the front fans for intake, and the rear & top fans for exhaust(which is how I believe Corsair recommends the airflow for that case. If you're concerned about running out of fan connectors on your motherboard, you can use splitters to connect multiple fans to one power connector. That's a fairly high-end motherboard, the fan connectors should have little trouble running 2 fans each, possibly even 3 if they aren't power hogs. And make sure all of the fans you get are 4-pin PWM fans, which allow for much better motherboard control. Gigabyte's got software to let you control all the fans plugged into your board, from what I can tell it will auto-generate a profile to alter the speed of the fans based on the temperature inside the case. Of course, you also tinker with the speed settings yourself.

The Corsair reps in here will like what I say next, I've been using their ML120/140 Pro fans in all my builds lately and I really like them. They aren't the cheapest, but they work very well. They have a wide range speed range, and ramp up & down very smoothly. When they're going full blast they can be pretty loud, but they move a LOT of air. But the noise drops off very quickly as you slow them down, so you can still get a lot of performance out of them while staying pretty quiet. I get the ones without LEDs, since I'm a curmudgeon who doesn't want his PC looking like an old Lite-Brite toy :)

If you're still concerned about CPU temps or if the fan on the Wraith cooler is too loud, you may want to consider an All-In-One(AIO) liquid cooler for your cpu, especially if you're overclocking. They're very easy to install, and your case has plenty of room for one.