Corsair Community

Wonkyness with Corsair Lighting Node Pro & SP120 Fans

whuber97

Hi,

I recently purchased the Lighting node pro to go inside my Crystal 460X RGB Case.

I have channel 1 cabled to 3 light strips and they all seem to be working fine.

I have channel 2 cabled to the fan controller that came with the 460X case, which is cabled to 6x SP120 fans.

Initially I did not have the option to configure channel 2 to control SP fans, so I manually updated the firmware manually to the LNP to version 0.2.54 by using the instructions in this thread:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=896837

Now I do see the ability to connect SP fans, however when I do so the fans seem to sporadically respond to the controller, sometimes not at all. It's almost as if they aren't getting enough power or something but I know that's not the case.

I've tried re-seating the SATA power, the USB cable, etc. etc., and no change.

Any ideas?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The configuration is as I would expect, but as you specified the effect looks wonky.

I don't have any SP RGB fans, so I can't check that happens here, with luck someone who has will comment.

If you connect just one fan what happens? Do any of the modes work as you would expect?

Same result with just 1 fan attached to the controller, however I did notice some interesting behavior...

The fan on the front bottom appears to operate *close to as expected,* as in the LED appears to illuminate completely and the colors change, granted at a random speed, which I wouldn't expect, but the LED illuminates completely, wheras the middle and top fans barely illuminate.

If I plug the bottom fan into the middle fan port, it behaves the same way as the middle fan does, again indicating almost that it isn't getting an appropriate signal from the controller.

I should also note that the controller does appear to be OK as all fans act as expected when plugged into the 460X light controller, so I'm at a bit of a loss here...

The only other thing I can think of is the cable that came with the LNP only has 2 wires in it, and the cable that came with the 460X case that connects the can controller to the lighting controller has 3 wires in it...

The only other thing I can think of is the cable that came with the LNP only has 2 wires in it, and the cable that came with the 460X case that connects the can controller to the lighting controller has 3 wires in it...

The 3rd wire is +5 volts and this is not needed as the LNP get's it's power from the SATA power connection.

Wait... Just double-checking:

The fans have a Controller (Which is labeled as "SP Lighting Controller" and has three buttons on it) and a Hub (which just says Corsair and has numbers 1 through 6).

The initial message indicates

"I have channel 2 cabled to the fan controller that came with the 460X case, which is cabled to 6x SP120 fans."

I want to make sure that you have wired the LNP with the two-wire cable to the HUB that has six ports, -not- to the other end of the Controller which has the buttons. Then the fans -MUST- be in ports in order. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. You cant skip ports.

Mind you, based on other items, I suspect it's all fine, I just like to be sure.

If that is the case, it's important to make sure the CL4 software is up to date to handle SP fans and the LNP has updated firmware to handle the SP fans, otherwise it'll talk wrong.

Some other things to check:

If you temporarily unplug the strips from the LNP and plug the hub into port 1, then change the config on CL4 to be the Fans instead of the Strips, does that have any effect? If it works, try putting the strips on Port 2 temporarily as well and change the config to have strips on 2 and see what happens, See if the port is broken.

Wait... Just double-checking:

The fans have a Controller (Which is labeled as "SP Lighting Controller" and has three buttons on it) and a Hub (which just says Corsair and has numbers 1 through 6).

The initial message indicates

"I have channel 2 cabled to the fan controller that came with the 460X case, which is cabled to 6x SP120 fans."

I want to make sure that you have wired the LNP with the two-wire cable to the HUB that has six ports, -not- to the other end of the Controller which has the buttons. Then the fans -MUST- be in ports in order. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. You cant skip ports.

Mind you, based on other items, I suspect it's all fine, I just like to be sure.

If that is the case, it's important to make sure the CL4 software is up to date to handle SP fans and the LNP has updated firmware to handle the SP fans, otherwise it'll talk wrong.

Some other things to check:

If you temporarily unplug the strips from the LNP and plug the hub into port 1, then change the config on CL4 to be the Fans instead of the Strips, does that have any effect? If it works, try putting the strips on Port 2 temporarily as well and change the config to have strips on 2 and see what happens, See if the port is broken.

Hi,

You are correct, I have the LNP cabled to the fan hub, and I have all 6 ports on the hub connected to SP120 fans. With this configuration I cannot use the 3 button fan controller in the 460x case, which is unfortunate, but not a deal breaker as the whole point of the LNP is so I can control the fans individually with software.

I am running the latest available release of Corsair Link and the latest firmware for the LNP. Initially when I set this up I did not even get the option to configure the ports for SP fans. It wasn't until I upgraded the firmware that the SP fan option was available to me in the drop down list, so I'm pretty sure I am good there.

I have also tried connecting the fan hub to both ports on the LNP, both with and without the light strips attached and configured.

I feel like I might have a defective/wonky LNP. I would have thought it to be the fan hub as the issue but the fans work as expected when the fan hub is cabled to the 460x 3 button controller, so it's got to be the LNP.

Given how tight the LNP code is (they have 128kB to work with and use a whopping 2kB of that), I can easily see bugs being an issue. It's odd to try to determine what could be happening there though, knowing what I do about the LEDs in the SP120 fans and the way the things work. So yeah, I guess the best thing to hope is for it to be a defective LNP.

This is why I just use HD120 fans and make my own controllers. More features, and if something is not working, it's my own darn fault.

Given how tight the LNP code is (they have 128kB to work with and use a whopping 2kB of that), I can easily see bugs being an issue. It's odd to try to determine what could be happening there though, knowing what I do about the LEDs in the SP120 fans and the way the things work. So yeah, I guess the best thing to hope is for it to be a defective LNP.

This is why I just use HD120 fans and make my own controllers. More features, and if something is not working, it's my own darn fault.

I replaced the corsair LNP from Microcenter and unfortunately I have the same exact result. My guess is it is a bug with the ability to control SP120 fans, which was a new feature that was added to this version of Corsair Link & the corresponding firmware.

Corsair, are you out there? Can you comment?

I am having the same issues as OP and i wanted to propose a solution/question. Could this issue possibly be solved by using the Corsair Commander Mini?

Corsair, my fans are being just a Wonky and this is very frustrating given that the whole point of my rig update right now is for aesthetics.

Could this issue possibly be solved by using the Corsair Commander Mini?

No, the CL Mini and LNP are totally disjoint.

I feel the correct solution is to RMA the CL4 managers + developers and hire competent software engineers.

Brutal! lol.

No, accurate. Looking at some of the issues they are clearly incompetent. The classic example is as below.

The also make basic schoolboy errors such as using a Semaphore when they should use a Mutex/Mutant, see http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/mutex-vs-semaphore/.

5. No fix for http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=854759 is pathetic and as I specified before to fix -ve X and fail to fix -ve Y is incompetent! When I move the CL 4.6.0.86 window to screen 3 as soon as I release the mouse it jumps back to screen two :(:.

Unfortunately not.

I keep getting the normal "uninstall and re-install the Link software," "downgrade and then re-upgrade the firmware," etc. etc.

Zack from Corsair keeps suggesting that they need to replace the unit, which I've already done once.

They also seem to be ignoring the fact that at least 3 people on this forum are having the exact same problem. Very frustrating.

I'm using the stock controller for the minute. If the controllers are faulty, bit disappointed in quality control however seems to be a software issue if all the SP120's are doing the exact same thing. If one of the channels of the 2 worked and the other did not then I would expect it to be hardware (which I have tested both).

If the controllers are faulty, bit disappointed in quality control however seems to be a software issue if all the SP120's are doing the exact same thing.

I suspect the issue is a firmware bug and if all SP fans really do suffer this effect then the firmware quality control must be none existent.

Given LNP Firmware 0.2.65 this issue should have been addressed.

Has anyone with the same setup as OP (lighting node pro + 6sp fans) get them function correctly? I am planning to purchase the 460x & LNP but story like this is turning me off.

One more question, does the LNP give you the option to turn off the LED of the SP fan ?

Hi Guys!

Got my 570x and 6 SP 120 Fans in it. My LNP came today and i installed it as intended. Same problem like you all have. Also tried older Firmware and different cables.

Nothing happend.

Hope for a firmware update.

Greetings from Germany!

Has anyone with the same setup as OP (lighting node pro + 6sp fans) get them function correctly? I am planning to purchase the 460x & LNP but story like this is turning me off.

One more question, does the LNP give you the option to turn off the LED of the SP fan ?

If I were you I would wait, as I know of 4 people on this forum (timo823, Demontail, GuitarGod76, and Breaker1818) that have the exact same setup and exact same problem, and I have yet to see anyone on this forum actually confirm that they have it working.

Archived