The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 01:35 AM
Anjelous's PC Specs

POST ID # = 533036
Anjelous Reputation: 10
Default No boot with Asus P8P67 Pro...

I have my MoBo, CPU + fan, PSU, and RAM all hooked up. I'm using the Corsair Vengeance 8GB model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B.

What happens is I get no 'beep' when I attempt a test boot by shorting the power switch. The MoBo works and all, removing the RAM gets me the 'one long beep two short' so I'm pretty sure I've isolated the problem to the RAM.

After I get a 'silent' boot I press the MemOk button on the MoBo to try and 'tune' the RAM, which is what it says to do in my manual. The MemOK does its thing, flashes for a good minute or so, but eventually settles down to being one continuous red light again. My MoBo manual says if this happens the RAM is either installed wrong or plain incompatible.

Now, I -have- heard of people having issues with this model RAM and the P8P67 Pro. But I've also seen people having it work fine.

Can anyone give me some ideas here? This is my first build so feel free to point out stupidities in my post or blatant errors of logic

Old 10-07-2011, 05:13 AM
Anjelous's PC Specs

POST ID # = 533055

Also as an addendum I noticed that the CPU led flashes once on start up but then goes away and POST identifies a memory error.

I uploaded this video of the startup sequence as it is right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EALEi...e_gdata_player

Old 10-07-2011, 09:44 AM

POST ID # = 533099
r_moore04 Reputation: 10

im having the same kind of problem, but one of my ram sticks works fine and the other one will not post at speeds faster then 1066MHz, if i try and post at faster speeds i just get the solid red DRAM LED and have to press memok, which brings the speed back down to 1066 or 800, but put my other stick in and it works at any speed

Old 10-07-2011, 10:37 AM

POST ID # = 533104
gatormoe1 Reputation: 10

Add one stick of ram only and try to reboot.

Press and hold the MemOk button for 3-5 seconds and release. I've had to do this three times every time I booted with MemOk. Eventually, after pressing and holding 3 or so times, the light will flash and go off. If you are able to get it off and boot up to windows, make sure you flash the bios before rebooting again. This will fix the memory compatibility issue.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Anjelous's PC Specs

POST ID # = 533114

3 - 5 times? Yea I've only ever gone through the MemOk sequence the one time. Will try it when I get home and update the thread

And rmoore at least you can make it into bios! ;)

Old 10-07-2011, 11:32 AM

POST ID # = 533116
r_moore04 Reputation: 10

lol true but only using one memory stick now :( i have a every strange problem lol

Old 10-07-2011, 12:04 PM

POST ID # = 533119

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_moore04 View Post
lol true but only using one memory stick now :( i have a every strange problem lol
Not one stick of memory forever, just to initially boot. Sometimes it helps, don't ask why I don't know.

To Anjelous, not 3-5 times. Hold the button 3 - 5 seconds and release. I personally have had to do it 3 times before and after I flashed my Bios I never had to use MemOk again.

Last edited by gatormoe1; 10-07-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Anjelous's PC Specs

POST ID # = 533130

Is it normal for the CPU led to flash for a moment like it did in my YouTube video? That makes me worry, but I don't have enough experience with building to know if it's something to worry about

Old 10-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Anjelous's PC Specs

POST ID # = 533131

I took this second video of the MemOk testing. Its not the whole three, just one, but im afraid it doesnt seem to be having any effect. This poor computer has yet to even see a bios screen!

I've got a new model vengeance memory (the black ones) arriving Tuesday so I'll be able to test this with different ram. Would like to get it running before that though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJH2kY5os8E

Old 10-07-2011, 01:07 PM

POST ID # = 533133

Ok this is looking more serious..

Is this a brand-new build? As in you've never had it working?

If so this looks to be another dead mobo issue. The problem could be anywhere from the CPU to the Ram slots.

Try booting with one stick of ram in slot 1. Then 2-3-4 trying to see if any will boot. Reseat the CPU and check again.

Make sure you are booting with only Ram installed. Disconnect any other device, including your video card if its installed. Just boot with the absolute bare minimum to enter your bios (power, ram, keyboard, mouse, monitor).

Last edited by gatormoe1; 10-07-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Anjelous's PC Specs

POST ID # = 533136

By reseat the CPU you mean to take it out of its slot and reinstall it? This is indeed my first build and no I have never had this machine running (I only finished putting it all together yesterday morning)

Old 10-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Anjelous's PC Specs

POST ID # = 533137

Tested the ram slots in sequence:

One stick of Ram slot 1: one long beep, two short. DRAM LED lit continuously.*

Ram slot 2: one long beep, two short. DRAM LED lit continuously.*

Ram slot 3 same

Slot 4 same*

Old 10-07-2011, 01:25 PM

POST ID # = 533139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjelous View Post
By reseat the CPU you mean to take it out of its slot and reinstall it? This is indeed my first build and no I have never had this machine running (I only finished putting it all together yesterday morning)
Yes, disconnect your mobo from all power and reseat the CPU, its a long shot buts it has happened before. Make sure no pins on the CPU are bent or anything like that.

I'm leaning towards mobo being defective but I don't want you to go through that if I'm wrong about it. Is there any way you can get one stick of ram that you know 100% certain is compatible and try booting with that? You can save your receipt and take it back if it doesn't help, but its better than taking the whole mobo back or even worse, shipping it back and waiting for another.

Try booting with the bare minimum as instructed in my last post, using only 1 slot of ram each boot, trying all slots. What happened?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:25 PM

POST ID # = 533140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjelous View Post
Tested the ram slots in sequence:

One stick of Ram slot 1: one long beep, two short. DRAM LED lit continuously.*

Ram slot 2: one long beep, two short. DRAM LED lit continuously.*

Ram slot 3 same

Slot 4 same*
You are trying the MemOk each time correct?

Is your video card installed?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Anjelous's PC Specs

POST ID # = 533141

Yes and yes. As far as getting another piece of ram I can get a set of RipJaws tomorrow, I'm fairly certain those are compatible, and on Tuesday I'm getting the black Corsair Vengeances.