Corsair Community

XD5 powerful enough for this build?

Gasalon

Hi all,

I am planning a completely new gaming rig and want to go full Hydro X on this one. Components in the loop are an XC7, XG7 (or whatever it will be called for the RTX 30X0), VRM Block on the ASUS Maximus Formula and 3 XR5 360 radiators. I saw that the XD5 is only rated at 800l/h and 2.1m which is almost half of what a standard D5 pump provides. Why the huge difference? Isn’t this a Standard D5 Pump? Will the pump even be powerful enough for that setup at a reasonable speed setting? 100% PWM on the pump is not an option from noise point of view.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Yeah I‘ve seen that post... I am worried that I will have the same issue. 2.1mh2o is really not a lot of head pressure. And the XR5 Radiators have considerable pressure drop. Would be nice to get some sort of official statement if this can work or not. In the Corsair configuration tool you can select the setup I mentioned above so it can’t be completely impossible. But I don‘t want to build a system only to find out that I need a more powerful pump.

I am using an XD5 with XG7, XC7, 2xXR5 360mm, and 1xXR7 360mm Corsair radiators, similar to your proposed setup with no mobo block but with a thicker XR7. Been running without issue for months, temps are great, no complaints.

I do notice that below about 3000 RPM on the D5, my XG7 flow meter will not constantly spin but my poor build quality is to blame for this. I am using soft tubing (not from Corsair, unbranded from performance-pcs), and there is a visible kink in one of my bends (woops!). I run the pump at an inaudible-to-me 3500 rpm, it overcomes my mild tubing fail, and the flow meter spins constantly with no issues.

@jon_snodgrass: Does not sound too bad. However the XR7 has only a 3rd of the pressure drop of the XR5 because of the larger cross-section. I might end up using one as well if I can fit it into the case. May I ask what CPU/GPU you have and what your water/CPU/GPU temps are. What kind of fans are you using and at what speed?

Interesting about the lower pressure drop on the larger radiator, hadn't thought about it...

O11 Dynamic non-XL

6x Noctua NF-p12

3x LL120

I do everything at an inaudible-to-me 925 RPM.

CPU Ryzen 2700x

GPU RTX 2080 non-super (max about 230W)

Temps vary with my usage and overclock. This build spends most of its time COVID folding, with CPU and GPU usage pegged at 100% for days. I do this with XFR enabled on the CPU, so it is generating a lot more heat than stock. With these settings, CPU sits at up to 75 and GPU around maybe 55. If I turn XFR off CPU voltage drops significantly and it sits at 65 while folding, GPU drops too maybe 5 degrees.

Lately I've switched to GPU only folding, with GPU pegged at 100% GPU averages 45C.

Idle temps for CPU are low 40s, GPU upper 30s.

I was a bit surprised to see how much voltage the 2700x gives itself on XFR with lots of cooling. I am planning on replacing this CPU in October, so if it degrades, I care not!

Pretty good temps indeed. I guess with an 10900k and an RTX3090 it will be ~200W more and hence higher temps or more RPM on the fans. I am an RGB fanboy and want to go with QL120s. I am not sure though if they are good enough on an XR7 without push-pull.

you'll have to give up on silence if you want better temps, that said the 10900k is sooooo easy to cool you may be surprised by your temps, even with power limits removed. Unless you heavily overclock it runs pretty cool.

Mine on cinebench hovers around 75° at 200W with no overclock (power limits removed, basically a constant 4.9ghz all cores). In games, rarely passes 60°C.

As long as the fans can keep your coolant from rising too much, that is..

At worse, the best rad fans will be cheaper than QLs if you want to go back to high performance instead of high bling :p

That said, 3 radiators.. it will work just fine.

• Corsair Employee

Hi there Gasalon,

Our D5 pump is the same pump Xylem D5 pump used by most other brands (though some use a low power knockoff).

The reason for the confusion is that we state an actual value taken from the technical document from the manufacturer, which is 800 L/H @ 2.1 M head pressure.

Most other companies simply write that their pump can do 1500 L/H and 3.9 m head pressure, as that is the theoretical limits of the pump. The important thing to notice is the "and" meaning that the pump will, in theory, do 1500L/H at 0m head pressure (so with no resistance at all), and 3.9m head pressure at 0 L/H. No D5 pump will actually be able to output 1500L/H in any real world test.

If you would like confirmation from a third party site, I would highly recommend reading Techpowerup's excelent review of the XD5 Pump/reservoir combo. They use proper equipment and testing techniques in their reviews.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/corsair-hydro-x-series-xd5-pump-reservoir-combo/6.html

Interesting... I always thought the given specs of the pump (800l/h and 2.1m pressure) were the extreme values of the P-Q curve and not an operating point on the curve.

Looking at the P-Q curve of the XD5 that the techpowerup guys measured gives the following:

5.9 PSI = 4.15 mh2o @ 0l/h (with a bit of measuring tolerance that is pretty much the 3.9 mh2o that the standard D5 is rated at)

3.5 PSI = 2.57 mh2o @ 2.5 GPM = 568 l/h

Unfortunately the curve ends there but the rated 2.1 mh2o @ 800 l/h seems reasonable if one extrapolates the curve.

Thanks again, I guess that settles it for me and I'll go with the full Hydro X setup. Now you only have to release the XG7 for the RTX 3000 series :)