Corsair Community

Windows 8 Microsoft Drivers - Trim Support Force 3

travelhigh

The Corsair sudden death syndrome struck again. Fortunately the death appeared temporary once BIOS reset, NON AHCI mode activated, toolkit run under Win 7, drive back to life - without any marker as to a failure !! Back to AHCI mode successfully but then data corruption across drive.

Fortunately I had a usable backup image but performance upon recovery was terrible despite using Corsair Toolbox full erase under Win7 before restoring.

This lead to further investigation and it appears that the Corsair Force 3 doesn't support TRIM under Windows 8 via the Microsoft drivers. https://communities.intel.com/thread/48778 Finally worked this out after restoring an old Win 7 image that happened to have the Intel RSTe drivers loaded. Ran the Corsair Toolbox trim which took noticeably longer than a Win 8 optimize. Since then performance under Win 8 and MS drivers back to normal but ...

Can I rely on the Windows 8 Optimize for trim or should I periodically have to reboot into Windows 7 with Intel RSTe for the Corsair Toolbox?

If so.... is there a firmware update planned that would resolve this problem?

Rechecked the Intel forums and the latest RST drivers appear to still have the same problem for Corsair (and seemingly only Corsair) drives https://communities.intel.com/thread/48778 (various in forum). In Win 7 / RST drivers Trim works but in Win 8.1 and current RST then Trim does not work. I am assuming same thing would apply for the RSTe drivers as same code base just minor server/workstation chipset variations. Just trying out RSTe drivers on Win 8 is not something I would undertake lightly as high risk of data loss during installation/removal after earlier attempts with 8.0.

From what I can gather there aren't any "Windows 8.1 Update" RSTe drivers at this time.

There was a firmware 5.XX which had an issue related to TRIM but it was fixed in a later firmware update. I know that Garbage Collection is the main process which prevents the SSD from degrading performance over time. But i'm not sure about the Windows 8 optimize feature and TRIM in Windows 8. I wouldn't expect the Microsoft drivers to do TRIM but again, i'm not too sure about that one.

Put in a support ticket or call Corsair via Skype for a better insight.

Archived