Corsair Community

Why to run a secure erase?

Mosabon

Hi,

what is the technical aspect to run a secure erase before updating the SSD firmware? It erases also my own data (and I have to backup & install everything again...) but this data should not make an SSD unstable at all. The firmware flash process itself should erase secure the needed memory but not my data. If I need to update e.g. my harddrive firmware of a Seagate hdd I also do not need to secure erase my hdd before.

So I ask me, why I should run this task? Is Win7 more unstable after the update process if I do not a secure erase? What is the root cause? I really do not want to reinstall all the time my programs again after a better stable firmware version came out.

Also interesting for me: Have you already update the firmware without doing a secure erase? What are you final experiences?

Thank you, regards, Mosabon

You shouldn't need to wipe your OS and everything. Clone the SSD before a firmware update. Use Norton Ghost or other good cloning program. Clone the whole SSD image to an image file on an available HDD. If you're using a laptop, suggest using an external USB 2.0/3.0 HDD for this, or remove the drive and plug into a working desktop to save the drive as a image file to that HDD. Then preform the firmware update, securely wipe the SSD completely clean. Then clone the drive image back to the SSD from HDD.

Archived