Corsair Community

MSFS 2020 Profile Help

Amfortas

Hello,

I'm sure that I'm not the only one wanting to create a profile for Flight Simulator 2020. With all other games and programs, I have iCUE set up to activate the profile by adding the game's .exe file. For some reason, MSFS 2020 has "hidden" the exe. file making it impossible to set iCUE to activate the profile.

Has anyone been able to successfully set up a profile that activates when MSFS 2020 is launched? If so, how?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hello,

I'm sure that I'm not the only one wanting to create a profile for Flight Simulator 2020. With all other games and programs, I have iCUE set up to activate the profile by adding the game's .exe file. For some reason, MSFS 2020 has "hidden" the exe. file making it impossible to set iCUE to activate the profile.

Has anyone been able to successfully set up a profile that activates when MSFS 2020 is launched? If so, how?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

My profile works fine for ms2020. i purchased thru steam & see the .exe just like all the others:

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe

When I try to link profile to program C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.7.12.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe/FlightSimulator.exe to iCUE, it gives the following error:

"You don't have permission to open this file.

Contact the file owner or an Administatoror to obtain permission."

Even launching File Explorer as admin, it won't allow me to change the permission to the folder or file. I've never run into an issue like this before.

Thanks in advance.

Windows Store Apps are difficult or impossible to link. There isn’t an overt way to do it and this has been a problem for a while. Sort of classic Microsoft ‘we are making things easier for you by making them harder to find.’ You’ll need to manually engage the profile prior to going full screen.

the folder security tab lists "Trustedinstaller" as folder owner, and despite user accounts being administrators, the folder listing is blocked.

You can change folder ownership to administrators directly and have normal access, but i don't know what are the possible downsides to doing that.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I'll be bugging Microsoft about this issue. I use my K95 as an assistive device to preform tasks that I otherwise couldn't due to my disability. Since Microsoft keeps telling everyone that they are "disabled friendly", I'll use that to my advantage.

• 2 months later...

Have you gone through the process of unhiding the WindowsApps folder?

I haven't tried this myself with iCUE profiles, but once you do this you should be able to get to the exe just like any other file. From this site:

Basically, all Windows Store Apps are installed under the folder “WindowsApps“. And, “WindowsApps” folder is located in C:\Program files. But, these files are hidden and need administrative privilege to open it.

We will see step by step method how to get access to Windows apps location.

Firstly, Unhide the folder “WindowsApps”

Step 1: Go to c:\program files and press Ctrl + F1, it will maximize the top ribbon. Next, you need to click on view > Details > check Hidden Items. It will unhide “WindowsApps” folder

Change the Ownership of the Folder “WindowsApps”

Step 2: Right click on folder “WindowsApps” and click on “Properties“. Here, go to “Security” tab and then click on “Advanced“. Consequently, it will open “Advanced Security Settings for WindowsApps".

Step 3: In the “Advanced Security Setting for WindowsApps“, click on “change” for administrative permission.

Step 4: It will open Select User or Group dialog box. In the field “Enter the object name to select“, type in “administrators” and click on “Check Names".

(Alternatively, you can use Microsoft email address you are using to login Microsoft account in this system. Next, you have to click on “Check Names” button. Windows 10 will automatically check the existing user account and replace it with Microsoft account in the same field.)

Step 5: Again, it will open “Advanced Security Setting for WindowsApps” dialog box. Here, you need to check “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” and click “apply” for changes.

Step 6: A new dialog will appear “Changing ownership of:“. It will change the ownership of all files and folder under “WindowsApps".

And, at the end, once completed, it will show another dialog box “If you have just taken ownership of this object, you will need to close and reopen this object’s properties before you can view or change permissions".

Step 7: Now, you will need to click on “WindowsApps” folder and then click “continue” as administrators. It will open the folder with the list of all apps.

Hope that helps!